Forums

-> Help Translate Chess.com Text into Other Languages

Sort:
erik

Hello Chess.com Community! 

We're looking to start working on internationalizing Chess.com. We're starting with our iGoogle chess app. Can you help us translate a few phrases into different languages? Thanks!

NOTE: Please do not submit answers if you are not a native speaker. Using Google Translate to input answers doesn't help - it just makes it harder for us :) 

Thank you!!

German

Russian

Japanese

Spanish

French

Italian

Polish

Chinese

Chinese (Hong Kong)

Dutch

Korean

Swedish

Portuguese

erik

bump :) seriously - if you speak a second language, please participate!

amitprabhale

No Indian language here. I wish there to be one. eg. Hindi (National lang.)

Raweyes
[COMMENT DELETED]
kco

to Raweyes just click on the link in the first post and fill in the boxes for erik  

chess_cake

There is no Burmese language. If so, I am willing to translate to Burmese language.

VLaurenT

Would it be possible to have screenshots as well, so that we can adapt the translation to the context and space available ?

I submit a draft version through the form anyway.

jootoo

wish to translate Chinese but no way to go that link, maybe the link is blocked by China Gov, Cry, so bad.

Pussimatti

No Finnish, bummer... I sure would have helped!

grandmaster56

I'm like 1/2 native, half my life I grew up in a spanish speaking country. And I know most of the translations, but not all. Does that count? Undecided

zankfrappa

Crazychessplaya lives in Poland so I will mention this to him.

farbror

I can help you with swedish!

kokino

I have posted my reply for the Spanish translation in that form.

However, as stated by other users here, it might be interesting to get the context so we can adapt correctly the translation.

At any rate, I have checked the current gadget available at iGoogle and I have translated based on what there is already in place.

I hope it helps!

Crazychessplaya

It is not all that easy, regarding translating into Polish. "Ready to play chess?" is gender sensitive, i.e. "Gotowy do gry w szachy?" is masculine (referring to a male reader), while "Gotowa do gry w szachy" is feminine. A neutral phrase would be an equivalent of "Do you want to play chess" - "Chcesz zagrać w szachy?", but it is necessary to know the context of this message. Someone close to the app should look at these messages and choose the best form.

Thijs
linksspringer wrote:

Some of the "phrases" are quite lengthy.
I submitted a translation to Dutch. A few remarks:
- There is a temptation to follow the English sentence structure closely. While this may result in correct Dutch, it doesn't necessarily result in natural sounding Dutch. This is why professional translators earn their keep. But I did the best I could.
- There are a number of user interface terms like "save" and "gadget". It is a bit of challenge to translate these correctly.
[I just googled for some guidelines, and found:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/275/uitgangspunten_en_richtlijnen
Now I realise I should have translated "Sign In" as "Aanmelden", not as "Inloggen". ]
- Good point by hicetnunc about context and space available. English is a more compact language than Dutch for instance.

Ah, I also entered a Dutch translation and I also used "Inloggen" instead of "Aanmelden"... I guess it's both correct, but "Aanmelden" is a bit more Dutch (and thus maybe better) than "Inloggen", which is semi-English.

Also I'm not sure what to do with words like "Google Friends" (is that in caps for a reason? is it a Google service? or is it just the contacts you have in Google?) and "Chess Gadget" (again, is there a reason for the caps? is "Chess Gadget" the title of the gadget?). A bit more information would be nice so that we can adjust the translation to the context.

Thijs

From linksspringer's reference: "De meeste mensen zeggen dat ze “inloggen” bij een site. “Aanmelden” doen ze minder. Bovendien is dan niet altijd duidelijk of ze inloggen of dat ze zich registreren of abonneren."

They have a point there as well, which would suggest "Inloggen" is better than "Aanmelden". Unless the button is both used for signing up and logging in. 

YuvalW

what about hebrew?

erik

thanks everyone for your help!

mikison20

thanks erik

proKnight98

i can translate chinese, but i dont have the software to make the symbols.

This forum topic has been locked