Forums

New Chess.com Site for Kids => www.ChessKid.com !

Sort:
erik

friends of Chess.com:

today we have opened up our very new (and still under construction!!) site: 

www.ChessKid.com

now, before you go joining, it's very much like Chess.com, but ONLY for kids and parents of kids. so if you aren't part of that group, i'd appreciate it if you didn't just make an account just for fun :)

but if you ARE a kid under 13, or have kids, or are a coach, i'd LOVE to have you join the site and give us your feedback! we are actively working to improve every aspect of the site, and we need some testers to help us find bugs and work out the kinks. it's very similar to chess.com, but with some new concepts like kid accounts vs. adult accounts, etc. 

anyway, if you qualify to join, please do! and if you can help us by providing a lot of feedback (bugs, what works/doesn't, confusing stuff, etc), perhaps i can reward you in some way (membership or financially). 

thank you!!

furtiveking

YAY! Glad it's finally here!

EternalChess

Omg!

Love the homepage.

EternalChess

Where it says

JOIN  IT'S FREE!

(Under JOIN,  there are words covered by the KIDS Tab)

EDIT:

You cant pick your own username? im guessing thats because its a friendly site?

EDIT:

Sorry for double posting.

furtiveking

More feedback, the video section still isn't working. When clicking on the "test" video, I get this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method User::IsMembershipDiamondOrBetter() in/data/www/dev/sites/www.chesskid.com/templates/video/player.tpl on line 29

littlehotpot

i have had a look at the homepage and it looks alot like chess.com homepage but it contains cartoon drawings and will this site recommend people under 13 who join to join up to this site

erik
Serbo wrote:

Where it says

JOIN  IT'S FREE!

EDIT:

where are the words covered?

yes - you can't write your own name, but we give you a million options to check through :)

EternalChess

- You start with 600 rating?

- Also the trophy secion it says --Most Recent Trophy: from-- (:from?)

-  8 bucks for membership?  (so they view ALL videos chess.com can see, do ALL tactics that chess.com can view, all for 3 bucks cheaper? so why pay diamon here?)

-Play tab --> Blitz chess? (why not lvie chess cause when u click on it it says live chess isnt up and running, shouldnt it sayd blitz chess?)

- Add a new kid? Cant ppl be coaches or parents?

- no forums? :(

cofail

I am interested, how does the content in terms of videos and articles vary between the two sites.

Is it different content aimed at different levels, because if so, perhaps it would be a good idea to make it availiable to chess.com members.

knightspawn5

I see you say parents only,  but do grandparents count?

littlehotpot
Serbo wrote:

- You start with 600 rating?

- Also the trophy secion it says --Most Recent Trophy: from-- (:from?)

-  8 bucks for membership?  (so they view ALL videos chess.com can see, do ALL tactics that chess.com can view, all for 3 bucks cheaper? so why pay diamon here?)

-Play tab --> Blitz chess? (why not lvie chess cause when u click on it it says live chess isnt up and running, shouldnt it sayd blitz chess?)

- Add a new kid? Cant ppl be coaches or parents?

- no forums? :(

there could be 2 reasons why there is no forums

1. because it is still a developing site and it needs time to put that on

or

2. so as to stop members posting inappropriate content  so that children do not see that 

EternalChess
erik wrote:
Serbo wrote:

Where it says

JOIN  IT'S FREE!

EDIT:

yes - you can't write your own name, but we give you a million options to check through :)

On the main page, where on the top left it says ChessKid.com, then below it is a star and it says Join (then somethign under it but it will not show fully) Then said It's Free! and a semi blue circle but once again dont see wht it says.

dpruess

the content varies in that... there is none. ;-)

the videos and articles on chesskid will be different than the ones here. aimed at younger players, beginners, and some stuff for parents and coaches.

yes, grandparents count as parents.

erik

a few responses:

no public forums, but there are forums for CLUBS in side the site.

grandparents welcome!

content will be different - not the same articles or videos. it's geared toward children.

erik
Serbo wrote:
erik wrote:
Serbo wrote:

Where it says

JOIN  IT'S FREE!

EDIT:

On the main page, where on the top left it says ChessKid.com, then below it is a star and it says Join (then somethign under it but it will not show fully) Then said It's Free! and a semi blue circle but once again dont see wht it says.

which browser are you on? can you screenshot?

EternalChess

Im on IE 7 or the newest 1 (i forgot which version is the newest 1) i cannot screen shot because i have no idea how..

my keyboard says HOME then under home says prt scrn, i tried clicking that then pasting in paint but no luck.. i tried holding shift and no luck as well.

EDIT:

Also homepage, when u click on >> Video's for beginners (when ur not logged it) it says MISSING PAGE ?!, it should say like you ave to log in or something.

BrilliantSacrifice
[COMMENT DELETED]
gramos9956

How about granddparents who care for their grandchildren; can we join?  I assume yes, but just checking to make sure.

Oh, I see the question was already answered.  Thank you.

EternalChess

Also when you click Help or Contact at the buttom it is redirected to the chess.coms help or contact.. i believe you should make your own on that site, no kid wants to go on chess.com having to log in chesskid again (or going to that site)

erik
Serbo wrote:

Im on IE 7 or the newest 1 (i forgot which version is the newest 1) i cannot screen shot because i have no idea how..

my keyboard says HOME then under home says prt scrn, i tried clicking that then pasting in paint but no luck.. i tried holding shift and no luck as well.

EDIT:

Also homepage, when u click on >> Video's for beginners (when ur not logged it) it says MISSING PAGE ?!, it should say like you ave to log in or something.

fixed the first. working on the second (need the video) :)