Forums

New Chess.com Site for Kids => www.ChessKid.com !

Sort:
Jvariathody

Can you use chess.com acoount on chesskid without registrating if you are a premium member on chess.com? at creator

kohai

No sorry not possible.

Hugh_T_Patterson

This is great. I coach kids for two months out of the year and this will be a great resource.

Jim_V

I run a club on ChessKid, and really appreciate the resource. However, I have a few problems with club management.

When I try to 'Create a group photo album', I get redirected to the page that says 'Our servers made a dubious move...' and a photo album is not created.

When I try to delete a forum topic, and then click 'Ok', I get redirected to the page that says 'Our servers made a dubious move...' and the topic is not deleted.

When setting the start or end date for an event, the day after December 31st, 2010 is January 1st, 1970.

When I try to edit the first post of a forum topic, the edit button takes me to the last post. This is not helpful.

When I delete a post, the text of the post is replaced with 'Comment Deleted'. Does this not defeat the purpose of deleting a post? It still takes up space, and can still be edited.

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get with these issues,

Jim

kohai

Jim_V

For safety reasons, the 'create photo album is being removed, therefore won't work at the moment.

The 'oops error' message that appears when trying to delete a thread we're working on now thanks. We're also updating the calender show it does show coming years on there.

You said:

"When I try to edit the first post of a forum topic, the edit button takes me to the last post."

When you click to edit a post, is the text area showing the post you clicked on to edit? Or is it showing its editing the last post? Or are you seeing last post made above the text edit area ?

[comment deleted] shows on this site aswell as on ChessKid. If there is a thread with several posts, and someone deletes their comment, unless posters after that comment deleted have 'quoted', the thread may not make sense to readers. Atleast if it shows [comment deleted] the reader knows and can see there was something there that others are replying or referring too if that makes sense.

Quilford

This may have been mentioned but in the video showing the basics of chess by the IM (the one that anyone can watch, linked from the main page), the checkmate position is, unless I have misread it, impossible to achieve. I know it'll be kids watching, but it just seems a little sloppy.

kohai

Do you mean "Rules to the Opening 4"  ?

Quilford

http://www.chesskid.com/video/player/the-magic-of-chess

There you go.

Jim_V

For safety reasons, the 'create photo album' is being removed, therefore won't work at the moment.

Okay, thanks for explaining this. It would be nice if you could do this feature just like the custom usernames - have it hidden until it's been approved by a site admin.

The 'oops error' message that appears when trying to delete a thread we're working on now thanks. We're also updating the calender show it does show coming years on there.

I've noticed that that's now been fixed. Thanks! Smile

You said:

"When I try to edit the first post of a forum topic, the edit button takes me to the last post."

When you click to edit a post, is the text area showing the post you clicked on to edit? Or is it showing its editing the last post? Or are you seeing last post made above the text edit area ?

It takes me to the last post. I realized a few days after making my first post in this thread that I have to scroll down farther to see the editing area. Sorry!

[comment deleted] shows on this site aswell as on ChessKid. If there is a thread with several posts, and someone deletes their comment, unless posters after that comment deleted have 'quoted', the thread may not make sense to readers. Atleast if it shows [comment deleted] the reader knows and can see there was something there that others are replying or referring too if that makes sense.

I can understand it from that point of view.

Thanks so much for seeing to this stuff! Also, it would be nice if the club forums on ChessKid could have sub-forums like on this site - especially since I think my club is going to end up as one of the largest on ChessKid.

--Jim

kohai

[comment deleted] is being fixed so it shouldn't show.

Jim_V

:) Thanks!

Jim_V

Okay, I'm probably driving you folks crazy with complaints and ideas, but I have something else I'd like to point out.

My club has 60 members, making the third largest club on ChessKid.com. I really like all of the available features and options of tournaments. I was hoping to start a tournament exactly on the new year, but the only option for 'Year' under 'Start Date' is 2010.

If you could add a few years to this, I'd appreciate that.

Thanks,

Jim

kohai

Fixed :)

Jim_V

Thank you!

I also noticed that 'comment deleted' is fixed. Thanks! Posts now disappear cleanly.

Jim_V

Hey! Wait to go on the new chess computer! I'm a big fan of it already.

Matthew11

I don't like that site at all! A few reasons:

• You can't chose your own username? Just stupid preselected names of random words.
  • They make you chose an picture. Can you say heartless? I really want a picture of a pony next to my random pre-picked name!
  • No forums? C'mon! They really like to hide kids from the world.
  • The site is poorly made and functions badly.            

I'm totally saying on Chess.com!!

kohai
Matthew11 wrote:

You can't chose your own username? Just stupid preselected names of random words. They make you chose an picture. Can you say heartless? I really want a picture of a pony next to my random pre-picked name! No forums? C'mon! They really like to hide kids from the world. The site is poorly made and functions badly.            

You can choose your own username.

Its kid safe, thats why those avatars are there. It stops people uploading inappropriate ones like some do on here.

oinquarki
Matthew11 wrote:

You can't chose your own username? Just stupid preselected names of random words. They make you chose an picture. Can you say heartless? I really want a picture of a pony next to my random pre-picked name! No forums? C'mon! They really like to hide kids from the world. The site is poorly made and functions badly.            

Don't like it - don't use it.

kohai

Its an idea, but i'm not sure how it'd work or if its possible for us to add.

Matthew11

Why not just make "no avatar" an option?