Forums

New Site Design Feedback

Sort:
chessplayer1101

"If it were not so slow, I guess I could get used to all the other things I don't like."

That should should be part of their customer testimonies. lol

chessplayer1101

pam234

I thought the new system was going to be faster, mine is twice as slow. Some progress !

jwh315
chessplayer1101 wrote:

"I think the people who don't like it are a small and very vocal minority.  I am not sure 75% is accurate.  It may seem that way because of all the negativity on the forums, but I wouldn't be suprised if there were only 1000 or so unique members complaining on the forums over the last couple days.  Out of 5 million members, that's not too bad."

You really think 5 million inactive members not saying anything is indicative of "the majority likes it?"

There is a well known principle that happy customers tell few and unhappy customers tell everyone.  There is very little motivation for a happy chess.com user to take up the cause for the new layout, when a. it's not changing and b. these threads are filled with hostility.  So i think using forum polls to gauge that 75% of chess.com user are unhappy is inaccurate. 

cemc74

Biggest problem for me is the new crappy mobile view with iPhone Safari, totally useless.

JustinJ_FairfieldU
rigamagician wrote:
JustinJ_FairfieldU wrote:

Hi, I am having trouble using the analysis board.  For some reason the window does not have a scroll bar and even when I maximize the window it still isn't big enough to reach the buttons that let you undo moves. I tried both iexplorer 9 64 bit and firefox Namoroka 64 bit but i had the same problem. Anybody have a suggestion on how to fix?

A workaround would be to copy the URL from the Address bar, and then open it a new tab in the main browser window.  Also, in Account - Online Chess Settings, try setting the board size to Tiny, and also in your browser, zoom out a few times.  The move text becomes so small you won't be able to read it anymore, but at least you'll be able to see the buttons.

Thanks!

jwh315
Balachandar wrote:

Out of 5 million, a maximum of 20000 would have logged in since yesterday. I can bet my head on that. And not everyone on this site knows how to use a forum etc. Even if you see generally, there are only about 5000 - 10000 members who even write a comment in a forum thread or start a forum.

Can you cite where these statistics came from?  

kabawka
rigamagician wrote:

Hi, I am having trouble using the analysis board.  For some reason the window does not have a scroll bar and even when I maximize the window it still isn't big enough to reach the buttons that let you undo moves. I tried both iexplorer 9 64 bit and firefox Namoroka 64 bit but i had the same problem. Anybody have a suggestion on how to fix?

A workaround would be to copy the URL from the Address bar, and then open it a new tab in the main browser window.  Also, in Account - Online Chess Settings, try setting the board size to Tiny, and also in your browser, zoom out a few times.  The move text becomes so small you won't be able to read it anymore, but at least you'll be able to see the buttons.

Thanks!

So, is this an upgrade or a downgrade... look like a downgrade to me!

chessplayer11
jwh315 wrote:
chessplayer1101 wrote:

"I think the people who don't like it are a small and very vocal minority.  I am not sure 75% is accurate.  It may seem that way because of all the negativity on the forums, but I wouldn't be suprised if there were only 1000 or so unique members complaining on the forums over the last couple days.  Out of 5 million members, that's not too bad."

You really think 5 million inactive members not saying anything is indicative of "the majority likes it?"

There is a well known principle that happy customers tell few and unhappy customers tell everyone.  There is very little motivation for a happy chess.com user to take up the cause for the new layout, when a. it's not changing and b. these threads are filled with hostility.  So i think using forum polls to gauge that 75% of chess.com user are unhappy is inaccurate. 

I never said 75% of users are unhappy. And while what you say is generally true, it doesn't apply to people complaining that as a fact, the site doesn't work for them anymore. Don't fixate on the layout issue. That's just one of the complaints. A vast majority who have begun trying to use the site are finding it is simply broken when before it wasn't.

If you believe that most of the people are happy, then it would be unlikely that so many paying members would be cancelling their membership.

kabawka
chessplayer11 wrote:
jwh315 wrote:
chessplayer1101 wrote:

I never said 75% of users are unhappy. And while what you say is generally true, it doesn't apply to people complaining that as a fact, the site doesn't work for them anymore. Don't fixate on the layout issue. That's just one of the complaints. A vast majority who have begun trying to use the site are finding it is simply broken when before it wasn't.

If you believe that most of the people are happy, then it would be unlikely that so many paying members would be cancelling their membership.

I'm one of them who cancelled my premium membership an hour ago

arkyarky9

Cancelling your membership after 1 day of the new design is a huge overreaction. 

The owners of the site are listening to feedback and attempting to address valid concerns. 

jwh315
chessplayer11 wrote:
jwh315 wrote:
chessplayer1101 wrote:

The 75% number came from another conversation that you quoted.  I am not fixated on the new layout.  I am fixated on the people ready to jump ship after less then 48 hours when Erik and chess.com have demonstrated that they are working around the clock to fix all of the issues.  Chess.com did it's due diligence in beta, but bugs will persist no matter what.  I have been testing this new layout for over a month and have had zero issues with it.  My Iphone, Ipad and android tablet all run the app perfectly.  The website works fine with google chrome (the preffered browser of chess.com).  I do understand that I do not use every feature of chess.com and there are bugs in other areas that I do not reguraly use, but you have to give chess.com a hand for promptly fixing most of these bugs in less then 24 hours.

lph
Balachandar wrote:

How to look at the number of team matches and vote chess games in progress for a group?

Edit: And where are the links for Team Match and Vote Chess Leaderboards in the top menu bar?

it's located in groups team matches & vote chess tab the leadersboards

I know it use to be on the homepage of each group a person was in

rigamagician

Oh I just realized that there is some kind of small ad for chess.com between the green tool bar and the title of vote chess games which is pushing the board down off the screen.  Could this ad be moved to the right of the board, or could the board be moved to the right of the ad, so that you can actually see the board?  That would solve the problem.  Also reducing the size of the font of the game name would ease the problem a bit.

jkudria4145
kabawka wrote:

even if I'm a minority, I'm glad that after trial and error, I get to cancel my premium a minute ago. wow, $49.00 will be put into good use. IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!

No need to be rude...you of course couldn't tell them nicely, right?

chessplayer11
jwh315 wrote:
chessplayer11 wrote:

The 75% number came from another conversation that you quoted.  I am not fixated on the new layout.  I am fixated on the people ready to jump ship after less then 48 hours when Erik and chess.com have demonstrated that they are working around the clock to fix all of the issues.  Chess.com did it's due diligence in beta, but bugs will persist no matter what.  I have been testing this new layout for over a month and have had zero issues with it.  My Iphone, Ipad and android tablet all run the app perfectly.  The website works fine with google chrome (the preffered browser of chess.com).  I do understand that I do not use every feature of chess.com and there are bugs in other areas that I do not reguraly use, but you have to give chess.com a hand for promptly fixing most of these bugs in less then 24 hours.

You have to realize ... this is just a chess site. Some people may only play chess on it, shockingly. The major reason they may have gotten a subscription was because they liked the layout, for example. It's been made very clear that there will be no going back under any circumstance. For a lot of people, the only thing they want is the option to use the old format they like. And as I said before somewhere, people know what they like and don't like. For example I don't like Chrome. If I have to use that for this site to work, then forget it. It's just a chess site. I'm not a world champion player. It's an idle hobby.

Many see this as another FB site now. And they know they don't like that. So what reason do they have for staying?

I'm not sure why everything works perfectly for you. And how do you figure that most bugs (that you can't even have) have been fixed in 24 hours? I've seen only one change of what I use. The background was fixed. That's it. Everything else that I've used is the same as it was when they first launched this new layout.

Also no effort is being made to create a layout that resembles what the site used to look like, nor will they bother. I don't think it's an overreaction to leave something you don't like. I think it was a huge mistake to suddenly force a new layout on everyone without any good reason or even a heads up before hand.

CJP67

Does the lack of a resign button constitute a bug or an oversight? I was thinking of paying for a membership  but from what I've read people are leaving in droves.

Ziggyblitz

HOW DO I FIND A PLAYERS TIME PER MOVE AND THEIR TIME OUT RATIO ?????

chessplayer11
CJP67 wrote:

Does the lack of a resign button constitute a bug or an oversight?

I believe they call that a feature in the industry.

Ziggyblitz

One reason members are so upset is that chess.com was like a second home, a place where we go for some quiet time every day, sometimes for 3 or 4 (or more) hours per day.  Now, with the changes, our second home has suddenly gone and been replaced by a strange and unfamiliar one.  Moving house is considered to be a very stessful experience, and that it takes over 6 weeks to sart to feel comfortable with the new abode.   Let's hope so.