Forums

New Site Design Feedback

Sort:
RichColorado

Hello Erik

Only things I'd like is the font a little larger and blacker instead of grayish on the text.

On the box where we enter the comments the text looks large but it comes out smaller.

Light green, light grey, light blue colors for the text is not so good on the bluish background that you have on the pages.

As for Bat Girl: Tables weren't really supposed to be used like many people ended up using them to design web pages.

With the new coding they are history in the future. There are better methods usin CSS.

j3oglesby

hitting enter in chat box in online chess submits text but takes me out of chat box and I have to click the box again to continue typing 

ccasesweeney

wow! When I tested the Beta version I was miffed, but a lot of the fixes have made the new site user friendly.  One thing that I agree with others who have posted:  I like being able to see my opponents stats, also, when I'm playing games I don't like having to go back to the game list to get to the next game -- please put the "next game" button back on the active game

Cool feature -- being able to toggle between seeing current games in board or list form. 

arborvitian

I really don't like the look of these buttons.  The red is too muted, and the orange is just horrible.  These colors scream of old 1970s kitchen appliances.  Gack.

Something more like this makes my eyes much, much happier:

kco
LaskerFan wrote:

I have to click TWICE in any comment  box to start entering text - clicking once (just makes the "message" Please be relevant, helpful and nice! disappear) does not allow me to start entering

seem to be working just fine, only one click. 

rigamagician
RampantCod wrote:

My guess is he'd rather his team were working on fixes, new features, content improvements, browser compatibility and making sure that Chess.com remains at the top, rather than dealing with a heap of subjective criticsism about whether a colour is quite right or the gap between the top menu and the content is perhaps a few pixels too big.

Web surfers spend most of their time looking at content above the fold.  People don't like to scroll (especially to look for something that was right there under the old design) and there were many comments to this effect in the Vote thread.  Making sure that the most important content is visible when a web page is first opened is probably one of the key priorities for most web designers.

My screen resolution is 1024x768, which I guess is quite common, and there is a good inch of white space above the title of a vote chess game.  The title of the game is in quite a large font which I guess compounds the problem pushing the game board off the bottom edge of the screen.  I've tried zooming out with my browser, but there comes a point when the Team Comments text becomes too small to read.  I can get the whole board visible by changing my Account - Online Chess Settings - Board Size to Tiny, but it looks silly to have this small thumbnail of a board underneath a vast sea of empty white space.

If that huge band of white space is necessary for some reason, perhaps you could include a link to a name anchor that would centre the board vertically in the browser window, so people wouldn't have to fiddle with the mouse or arrow keys back and forth trying to get the board visible on the screen.

lph

well every issue I had been fix thanks chess.com for listening Cool

I made a comment about can't "paste" when posting in comment box.

It doesn't work on foxfire browser, but it does work in explorer browser?

ie, when posting votes in Vote Chess

ie,paste previous comment & image from someone elses post

RichColorado

Erik. Don't you think the poster should tell you which BROWSER they are using?

It would help your webmaster.

j3oglesby

magnifying glass symbol on search boxes would be nice. maybe I'm retarded but it took me a while to figure out what they were

lph
[COMMENT DELETED]
George1st

[COMMENT DELETED - off-topic - Mod]

ccasesweeney

I LOVE the tactics trainer -- it has helped me become a better player for sure.  It is responsive, BUT, I have to spend time looking for the "TRY AGAIN" and "SHOW SOLUTION" commands -- my bifocals are having a hard time finding them on the page.

I like the comments availability that has been added to the tactics trainer.

Another thing -- I think the new design is great, but I agree with some others who have posted here that I spend more time clicking around the site trying to find what I want.  I like having multiple links and back buttons.   For example, if I am on the tournaments page, sign up or look at a tournament, I don't have the option of going back to the list.  Or, from the tournaments page, I'd like to see links to online and live chess.

arborvitian

I'd like to add that my specific complaint about the Delete and Submit buttons in that one context should be understood to apply sitewide.  I'm not thrilled with the red, but the orange makes my eyes hurt.

Another place it occurs is the progress bar in Chess Mentor.  Gack.  Not only is this the same dreadful orange, the text is black.  I really don't like this at all.

I don't much like the new red and green in Chess Mentor either, or the fact that "Correct Alternate Move" is gray now, but I'm likely to get used to those things.  The orange, never.  Wow, that's horrible!

I messed around, and settled on this as a suggested replacement color.  It's hard to know quite what to do with this--I think the original progress bar was green, but there wasn't a big green "Your move" button above it before--but I'm liking the blue well enough.  It's an improvement, if not perfection.  (I had to recreate the text to change the color.  Ignore the font difference.  I didn't bother to match it precisely.)

arborvitian
LaskerFan wrote:

I have to click TWICE in any comment  box to start entering text

+1

Same thing here with Firefox on Linux.

gvanderford

I actually really like the new design. The problem is that ever since it changed the site is running very slow on my computer (not the x2 speed that has been advertised). I've experience several disconnections which has lead to me losing games as "abandoned" and losing rating points which is, needless to say, frustrating. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this but I know it's not my connection because other websites are loading normally. Love the rest of the new site though.

arborvitian

Chess Mentor used to fit into the window such that the entire cheater box at the bottom was visible on one screen.  The new layout is taller, and about half the cheater box is cut off, so if I get stuck, I have to scroll.

Screen size is a fickle thing, and the way it used to fit on my screen might have been a happy coincidence, but I still miss that.  I have 832 vertical pixels available, FYI.

SandyJames

By nature, we are reluctant to accept any change in our daily lives including this site!

But the only constant thing is change. So, relax friends, you'll get used to the new look.

@ erik,

Thank you for a new look and wishing you and your people all the best.Smile

arborvitian

In both Tactics Trainer and Chess Mentor, the respective home pages show a progress graph.  These graphs used to default to showing 90 days of progress, I think.  Now they don't default to anything, and they display nothing upon first loading the page.

Once you set them to something, the graphs work, but they do not display any indication of what setting is in effect, so I have no idea what range of days I'm looking at.  Some highlight or something is missing there.  I can't quite remember what it was, but it used to be obvious what setting was in effect.

hamis

The submit buttons and other pertinent buttons on the main page of Vote Chess sometimes appear there and sometimes disappear. And the analyze windows on IE browser is not working. You could not even maximize the window. In Chrome browser, the Random vote chess game has no submit and other pertinent buttons in it and the analyze window is messed up, too.

The new Chess.com setup is a nice one if and only if all the bugs in it is fixed.

BTW, my OS is Windows XP and the browser I use is IE8.

hamis

amrita1

Thanks Erik for responding positively &  fixing these main problems :-

1.Giving the chess games a priority than the "notes" by keeping them above & in the center !

2.My vote chess option in the menu bar working in order as in the old format  showing the vote chess games in order of the urgency of voting !

The very important problem for our members who are participating very actively in our vote chess games through their mobiles :-They can't still add their comments which requires an attention urgently ,as such active members are the vital force in our vote chess games & we do not want to miss their contribution in our VC games !

One more problem regarding VC games still persisis & that is about the "Analysis board " !

The board & the keys to move the pieces should be on the same screen !

Here we have to scroll down for whole one screen for the keys & we  loose the sight of the board which becomes meaningless & too inconvenient to scroll again upward & downward with each movement of piece when we check our sequence of moves in a particular plan !

Hope that the effecient staff will get these problems fixed very soon ! All the best !!!:-)