Forums

New Site Design Feedback

Sort:
jellybelly59

I prefer the older layout - everything was well structured and the front page was more accessible to e.g. front page listed a couple of the newest articles instead of the new layout having a  'view more' hyperlink. I guess it's  a matter of preference, in the sense that others might have viewed the old layout as cluttered.

Hate how the daily puzzle i have to click through three times- once on the actual puzzle and in the forums to the daily puzzle and then on the actual puzzle link. Might be that my navigation skills are poor or i'm just doing it wrong but the old click and do the puzzle was much more accessible.

George1st

Question? Unless music of some sort to your ears, does the members/non members reply get taken out immediately. 

Looking at the comments, I can only see that this must be the case. 

Why the interest in asking for our imput, tricking people will not gain members. Never has and it never will. Honesty is a good start. Just an up front approach can change an entire business...for the best ofc. : )

paddyman34

Took some getting used to, left brain rigid and all that, but now that I know how to see my games by clicking the games tab, I find it more convenient.  I now like the improvement.  Keep up the good work.

hijak
George1st wrote:

Question? Unless music of some sort to your ears, does the members/non members reply get taken out immediately. 

Why the interest in asking for our imput, tricking people will not gain members. Never has and it never will. Honesty is a good start. Just an up front approach can change an entire business...for the best ofc. : )

What do you mean?

chessplayer11

I'd like to know how the new format was visually better than the older one?

What is the thought process that says it looks better?

The original had the timer on top. The problem solved box was better looking. The info was in an organized logical list, not a 4x4 area.

The new look is just bland and improves nothing. If you want to change the buttons to cute little cartoony Apple-like things. Fine, but why move everything around to bad spots and delete some things?

Turning off the sound doesn't work when you click show solution sometimes. Show solution doesn't always work.

Your timer is gone. The Analysis board is gone when you review an old tactic and have to "play" it again to access it. It also lacks that checkbox that allows illegal moves to be made.

The only real plus is that you finally combined the Analysis board with the source, thus making the analysis & source redundant. The Analysis board should be wider to accommodate the source that has been put in there. As it stands now, you get a short piece and it goes to the next line. While in analysis & source the link to the original game works, but doesn't if you clicked on the analysis board.

Instead of worrying about looks, how about functionality? Like being able to click thru the various alternatives that are in the source. Instead it's still like using a chess board with a book. And in 2012....

The Analyze for a regular game is nearly identical to the way it was before. But TT is changed around to the point of breaking it beyond reason. looks, functionality and usefulness.

Sorry, but did you just release a hamster to run across the keyboard as a new method of programming. This is just one part of a large site and is buggy as hell.

What the h^$% was the thinking behind releasing this site as is? it looks as though you have at least another 3 months of work left to do if it took you a year to get it to this point.

I can tell you right now, almost all the suggestions are going to be, get the site back to what I know and understand.

I don't care if you make the buttons goofy looking, just don't move them all over the place without a solid reason for doing so.

Huyen_Linh
adriano81 wrote:
Huyen_Linh wrote:

And my name on my profile is Green (which was yellow, after I set up the theme, it's very funny when all letters are White and Yellow, and suddenly something is Green (??????))

This is amazing... this is the best feedback here 

Lol sorry... I am a visual person... might sound weird here.

George1st
hijak wrote:
George1st wrote:

What do you mean?

Nearly all comments are all of a sudden lovely. Quite remarkable. Not long ago you would be lucky to find one nice "gesture". My comments have been deleted, as these will also, i am sure. 

Site changes make no difference to me whatsoever. Chess, chat etc. All the same. I can't actually notice a single change to be honest. : )

GI_Jimbo

I don't mind the new design personally, as it's still pretty easy to navigate to where I want to go. However, I'm just concerned that the home page looks kind of intimidating and might scare off prospective new members. It looks like a giant ad rather than a chill, fun site that someone would want to join.

TheBone1

I'd like my winning percentage to show, not just my total number of wins and losses.

arkyarky9

The old design was a big pain to navigate and I never got used to some of its quirks.  I think this one is better, but I wish that timeout ratio and average time per move were still visible on my opponents main page.

himath2009
himath2009 wrote:

Ok, Erik, moving games back to center of Home (instead of demoting them to footnote status) was the single most important issue, for me at least. Thank you and the team for restoring this. You will do as you deem proper but, for the site's sake which we all love, do not allow anyone in the future to move games from centerstage where they belong and for all eternity deserve to be... Now, two minor fixes, when you have the time, concerning Team appearance: 1. Admins need to see the matches in progress counter on the groups home page, as before, not only through the public profile. 2. Forum activity needs to be separated from News activity, as before,  otherwise they get no visibility... Be well, Haris

I think that Notes in the Group Home pages should be limited to, say, 5 to 7 (out of the 10 currently showing) in order to free space and the old "Forum Activity" box be reinstated above the "Recent Activity" one.

If only the "Recent Activity" panel is showing (as in the new design), the focus on important forums (which are not updated at the same rate as news items, therefore crowded out of attention), will be lost by many members.

Funny how this "Notes Taking Centerstage" theme is haunting the New Design - the good news is that it can be very easily fixed...

vladan7

In the main menu in the submenu If I click on the icon of, lets say, video lectures nothing happens. I think clicking on the icon should trigger redirect to that page also.

WiJi

why are there so many comments deleted conserning this subject in the different posts? I think in my very humble opinion, the one feature that you have forgotten is the option to choose old or new design

"moreover it is my opnion that the old design was more practical and should be restored" 

JustinJ_FairfieldU

Hi, I am having trouble using the analysis board.  For some reason the window does not have a scroll bar and even when I maximize the window it still isn't big enough to reach the buttons that let you undo moves. I tried both iexplorer 9 64 bit and firefox Namoroka 64 bit but i had the same problem. Anybody have a suggestion on how to fix?

JustinJ_FairfieldU

Also, this is only the case in vote chess analysis.

M-W-R

It would be good to have the status option again.

erwincho1a

To change the design of the page was nonsense. One example: the "remaining time" fast check feature! I am not really interested to know when the last move was made. Note that I have really started to hate every change made on the site, looks the task of somebody who does not have anything better to do, really. Furthermore, I am loosing my enthusiasm to continue supporting the site.  I think I will only honor all my remaining games and then adios !!! YellYell.

Martin_Stahl
WiJi wrote:

why are there so many comments deleted conserning this subject in the different posts? I think in my very humble opinion, the one feature that you have forgotten is the option to choose old or new design

"moreover it is my opnion that the old design was more practical and should be restored" 

I don't think there have been comments deleted for that.

The simple fact is the old design is gone and this is the site design moving forward. Erik has posted that in a number of places.

Annabelle
erik wrote:

we are going to add the option to hide friends lists. 

Thank you for this one - and the trophies too - it's really a sore eye - clutter clutter clutter - feels like insects wanting to come and sit on me - eeeuw... :)

FM_Eric_Schiller

New problem: chess boards don't preview in online game listings, and no colored squares when playng. The latter was already a problem. Just Firefox and IE, Chrome and Safari don't have the problems.