Forums

New Site Design Feedback

Sort:
Pre_VizsIa

Sorry to add yet another message to this already overfull message board, but the new site looks "clunkier", more like something I could do myself, and less modern. I especially miss the symbols for online and live members.

Englix

Hello Erik and everyone at chess.com. I think that the new desgn is something that takes a little time to get used to, like the radical change a big site whose name shall remain unmentioned recently went through. But one thing I´m sure you have heard many times, from me as well, is the missing opportunity to flip sides while watching live games... Could you please put a flip-button on the live chessboard?! Best wishes, Englix

QSDave

This new format is so much worse than the old one, all the icons are in the wrong place, they where handily arranged before - not no now.

I have been a gold premium member for the last 4 years, but cancelled my gold last week. I used to be able to play via my mobile phone through the internet connection, not any more, the new design/format makes it impossible for me to make any moves with my phone. As this was how I played most of my chess, it wasn't worth paying for a gold membership and getting no benefits. I am now a basic member. If the phone bug problem is fixed, I will return as a gold member

George1st
[COMMENT DELETED]
Rogwilco

7 days in and still mobile phone bug!? Surely this should be a priority. I love chess.com and would hate to see a decline in traffic and ultimately closure.

Also it is very annoying not seeing members ratings straight away on some screens. Few little things like this which I can't understand the rationalebehind.

delatbabel

I would like there to be more room in the blog posting text box (http://www.chess.com/blog/post.html) without having to revert to full screen mode.  The Posting Tips box/frame could go, there isn't any real need for it (maybe as a linked help page), and you could move the "Main Image" form element up and to the right, alongside the heading, to make more room to read the post while editing.

George1st
[COMMENT DELETED]
himath2009

Brave New Look...

fireballz

i like it. especially the bit where you brought in the tactical score of the oponent, this is a good indicator on the skill of the oponent. 

saksipotku

The game notes -tab fails again. Why did you change it back? You had already fixed it and it worked perfectly well.

whitebull

Site says I have 27 current games (CORRECT); games in progress say I have 24 (incorrect).

saksipotku

Whitebull, the games in progress has said the wrong amount of games for me for a long time. For example, when there still was the old design, I had 6 games in progress but it said I've got 4. So, the bug actually has nothing to do with the new design, but of course it would be good if it was fixed. It really is a mystery how can it miscalculate the amount of games.

QSDave

Logged on this morning to be greeted with "chess.com off line, upgrade in progress". I hoped that the bug that has been in the new format meaning that I can't play chess on my mobile phone had been fixed. Once chess.com came back on line I tried using my phone again - still no fix, I still can't play on the move. Come on Erik and Chess.com give me my games back on the move

himath2009

The Team independent Forum Activity Window is back!!!... Thank you Staff, thank you Erik!... I admitt that for a moment there I was beginning to lose faith that valid concerns were being heard...

Now, if you are so sweet as to restore the Team Matches in Progress counter as well, I promise you will never hear from me again... :)

AlCzervik

To chess.com: There are still many issues that need to be addressed. QSDave's concern is vital. How is it possible that this new format was worked on for a year and the mobile issue doesn't appear to have been considered? It's inconceivable that this would not be a major part of a redesign. 

There are also other issues-after 8 days online-that have not been fixed. Minor things, like my games shown is 5 when I actually have 6.

These little things aren't only a hassle, they reflect in a bad way. You state you want to help, and started forum topics asking for feedback. The issues you should have had to deal with should have been minor, and able to be fixed within a week after going online. 

Martin_Stahl
TMIMITW wrote:

To chess.com: There are still many issues that need to be addressed. QSDave's concern is vital. How is it possible that this new format was worked on for a year and the mobile issue doesn't appear to have been considered? It's inconceivable that this would not be a major part of a redesign. 

There are also other issues-after 8 days online-that have not been fixed. Minor things, like my games shown is 5 when I actually have 6.

I can't say much about your first point other than my opinion. The new design doesn't work in older browsers to varying degrees. From what I have read, that was on purpose; they wanted to support modern web technologies and not have all the additional code and testing needed to make everything work on older software.

So it is no surprise that a number of mobile browsers aren't working, especially if they are older. However, one of the things the new design was laying "foundations for making the site more mobile-enabled," according to erik's own post. Can't say how that will impact some of the mobile browsers but I would assume that will fix at least some.

At to your second point, that has nothing to do with the redesign. Not saying it shouldn't be fixed but I had that issue before the change and I have seen other posts saying the same thing.

Sooner

Displaying the wrong number of games, scores, players, etc., is a serious problem because it makes one wonder about the integrity and accuracy of such things as ratings, leaderboard points, scores, etc. After all, what would you think if you did business with a bank and found a lot of incorrect numbers on checks etc.?

Rogwilco
Martin_Stahl wrote:
So it is no surprise that a number of mobile browsers aren't working, especially if they are older.

Iphone web browser both Safari and the widely used Atomic browser are pretty much the opposite of old.  I'd like to see more replies from the site builders on their opinions.

erik
Sooner wrote:

Displaying the wrong number of games, scores, players, etc., is a serious problem because it makes one wonder about the integrity and accuracy of such things as ratings, leaderboard points, scores, etc. After all, what would you think if you did business with a bank and found a lot of incorrect numbers on checks etc.?

sometimes those numbers are off because of caching. when you have a site with millions of games being played, keeping a healthy database is key, and using caching is critical. sometimes that caching lags a little behind the real data. but yes, we can try to fix that bug. 

Skipp

Any idea when the privacy issue will be resolved? We were told last week that it would be taken care of in about 48 hrs, but still not resolved.