Forums

New to Chess.com!

Sort:
UnderEstim8ed

I was looking for a section concerning new people to the forum without luck.  Hopefully this will suffice.  I'm 29, M from Baltimore who just started playing on this website.  I have played off and on for years.  Never had any training other than read some books.  I'm currently in my first ever online tournament.  Quite a bit of fun!  I'm looking for input from members about things I can and should check out around the website.  Any general info or things I should try to become a part of would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Gary

ChessMarkstheSpot

Welcome to the greatest chess site on the 'net!

First off, anything training wise go under the "Learn" tab up top and you'll be able to study book openings, explore master games, check out articles and a ton of other stuff. To get even fuller access, you'll need to upgrade to a premium (paying) membership. There are three levels with Diamond being the highest, which allows you total access to this site.

Then check out the "Read" tab for articles, Master-written columns and lots of other good things. This site has it all and once you feel comfortable, jump on in to Live Chess or Online Chess under the "Play" tab and get rocking! Also, Chess.com has just put out a series of beginner training regimens and study guides for people that are new and are beginnaers at chess. Go to this profile here and read the articles that start with "Study Plan for Beginners" or check out the related blog here.

That'll keep ya busy for a while   Cool

Welcome aboard!

-Mark

UnderEstim8ed

Thanks Mark!  I'm definitely not a beginner to chess.  Just new to the site / forums.  I'm already playing online games and entered a free tournament here.  Although I just realized I had been playing unrated games all this time.  I've explored a bit and will probably upgrade to a premium membership.  I have never had an official ranking nor played in a live tournament, but I would love to do so.  The site seems like a lot of fun, and even better I can access it from my Droid / work laptop. Definitely looking forward to getting better.  

UnderEstim8ed
[COMMENT DELETED]
theoreticalboy

You should read all of woodshover's threads, and make sure next time you misspell "chess."  Popular in this regard is to label the site "chepp.com"

UnderEstim8ed
theoreticalboy wrote:

You should read all of woodshover's threads, and make sure next time you misspell "chess."  Popular in this regard is to label the site "chepp.com"

idk what / who woodshover is, but I'll look for it.  link?

ChessMarkstheSpot

Not a problem Gary!  Cool

BTW, if you DO upgrade to a Premium membership (Platinum/Diamond) you'll be able to watch the Chess.com/TV shows every week once they start up again. The next one is Monday at 10 AM Pacific/1 PM Eastern that's open to those two membership levels. Although there usually is one "everyone" show every week. Check out the Official Chess.com/TV Group that I run along with two of the Hosts of the TV show Pardon our Blunders. Check out the group and you'll be able to see all that I am talking about. It's great stuff!  Cool

Have fun!!!

-Mark

theoreticalboy

Oh, just an in-joke; if you spend enough time here, you'll understand it eventually.  These forums are filled with very knowledgable people who can answer any query you wish to raise, or enrich any discussion worth having, but their truly immaculate quality is the spirit of irreverance which may erupt at a moment's notice.  You can have a lot of fun here, if you want to Wink

rooperi
theoreticalboy wrote:

Oh, just an in-joke; if you spend enough time here, you'll understand it eventually.  These forums are filled with very knowledgable people who can answer any query you wish to raise, or enrich any discussion worth having, but their truly immaculate quality is the spirit of irreverance which may erupt at a moment's notice.  You can have a lot of fun here, if you want to

I've been here a while, and most of the time I still don't understand.

UnderEstim8ed

Thanks Mark.  I joined the Chess.com/tv group and hopefully I'll have my membership by then.  I do however work Monday's at 1.  Is there a feature on the site that will allow me to watch them at a later time?  After work hours from home?

And tboy, I think I understand what you meant already.  First time here.  not my first forum haha.

side note, I was invited to join a club or clan or something?  Kings? Can anyone tell me about these things?  

theoreticalboy
rooperi wrote:
theoreticalboy wrote:

Oh, just an in-joke; if you spend enough time here, you'll understand it eventually.  These forums are filled with very knowledgable people who can answer any query you wish to raise, or enrich any discussion worth having, but their truly immaculate quality is the spirit of irreverance which may erupt at a moment's notice.  You can have a lot of fun here, if you want to

I've been here a while, and most of the time I still don't understand.

I didn't mean he'd understand woodshover... I think you need to make the earth spin backwards to achieve that goal.

ChessMarkstheSpot

Gary - yes there is there's an on-Demand library that's only available to Platinum/Diamond members. Go to this link here and check out the "Videos" tab once you upgrade if you do. Bookmark that site by the way  LOL

Anything Chess.com/TV related will first be announced in that group either by me or Danny (ACEChess) or David (DPruess). My girlfriend Donna (RookedonChess) built the group's theme, colors and designed the three logos that we have in the photo album.

So take a tour and see it all!  It's great stuff!   Cool

-Mark

corrijean

Some of my favorite groups are:

http://www.chess.com/groups/home/the-blunderers

http://www.chess.com/groups/home/travellingnaturephotography

There are tons of groups to suit almost any interest. It's a fun way to get to know people on the site.

Lawdoginator

Watch the free videos, do the free chess mentor lessons, do three tactics trainer puzzles per day and play chess! Then get a premium membership if you decide to stay and play here. It's well worth it. 

UnderEstim8ed

Thanks!  Right now I'm playing as many games as I can, joined a couple tournies and am just trying to figure out the intricacies of the site.  Can anyone tell me what the "points" is all about?  

Lawdoginator

You get one every time you ask or answer a question or post something like I'm doing now. Hey, I just got another point! 

It's a measure of member activity. 

Lawdoginator

Check out Resources and then the Welcome Video. It maps out the whole site!