Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

rudeness


  • 3 years ago · Quote · #1

    the_aleph

    I'm increasingly frustrated by the inability of people to say 'gg' after a game. I can understand not saying it when you lose - if you are feeling crushed, it may be hard (I admit to having done this in the past) - but I can't understand it when you win and your opponent has the grace to say 'gg' to you, especially when it is in fact a good game, a closely fought battle. This is so prevalent, it's threatening to spoil my enjoyment of the site. Should I just accept that some people on here have no manners, and move on? Or just block offenders (this seems somewhat drastic!)?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #2

    Gert-Jan

    first of all, I understand what you mean. I also like friendly people that don't treat you as if you were a computer. But is it that important?

    My advice is to ignore this unfriendly people and enjoy playing chess with nice people. There are 3,802,147 different players here so you keep enough players when you ignore the unfiendly.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #3

    GlennBk

    Remember it takes all types and to some a loss is catostrophic. There are many who are unable and unwilling to recognise their own limitations. They believe they are unique and potential masters and they just can't understand why others don't see their greatness. Too such enormous egos a loss is like a knife to the heart, and they have a list of plausible excuses at the ready but never will admit it was due to better play on the part of their opponent.

    However these deluded individuals are part of the human race, so be thankful that you are not among them and accept them and pass on.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #4

    carlos_b

    Some people may be playing on mobile devices or consider "gg" to be unnecessary etiquette. I don't consider players who don't chat to be rude.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #5

    chirp55

    this forum makes me laugh, most people have better stuff to do than reply to a gg message sent by a 1250. I myself do not respond to any messages as I see no point in them.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #6

    LevDavidovich

    No comment. :)

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #7

    George1st

    aleph....I feel the same. I pretty much go the extra mile. I compliment their win and post it in main. i believe the more people acknowledge others achievements the more people will do the same back. I have found when playing people I can remember that some are starting to compliment back. I accept all challenges from main and say hello before the game starts. I will not start the game until they say hello back....crude but effective. Thanx for ur post aleph : )))

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #8

    kyd0

    take it like a man.

    etiquette is necessary in some parts of life, i agree. but forcing people to pretend they had a good game and throw a fit when they don't is just plain silly.

    and no, blocking isn't anything close to 'drastic'. flaming him till his eyes bleed out is 'drastic'.

    block who you want, just please stop making it out to be more than it really is. many people do it and it's really quite annoying.

    tl;dr u mad

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #9

    dkosy

    GlennBk wrote:

    ...they have a list of plausible excuses at the ready but never will admit it was due to better play on the part of their opponent.


    That's funny because there are plenty of players who'll say something as absurd as the winner has no talent, but the player got lucky because he capitalized on a mistake... That's funny because I thought chess was about out thinking a player, but okay.

    Moral of today: Take defeat graciously

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #10

    the_aleph

    Thanks everyone for your varied and interesting points of view -- even you, Chirp! Well I'm rather torn.  I can see the argument for not taking it too seriously, on the other hand, Kyd, I do think courtesy should extend to online chess matches. Maybe it's like trying to hold back the tide, but I think it's worth fighting. I appreciate your thoughts on that, particularly, George!

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #11

    pathfinder416

    My opinion: if you display less courtesy online than you would in person, you're behaving badly.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #12

    UVF02368

    gg

     

    It's pretty rude not to type the full two words with proper puncuation and capitalization.  If you're opponent does not speak English it is very rude not to translate it into their native tongue and dialect.

    Ipsum bonum.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #13

    oinquarki

    the_aleph wrote:

    (this seems somewhat drastic!)?


    Not even close!; Burn the witches! How dare they not say "gg" to me?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #14

    e4_guy

    I had no idea what "gg" means, LOL.

    Now I do, so i'm sending "gg-s" all over the chat -;)

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #15

    winerkleiner

    GlennBk wrote:

    Remember it takes all types and to some a loss is catostrophic. There are many who are unable and unwilling to recognise their own limitations. They believe they are unique and potential masters and they just can't understand why others don't see their greatness. Too such enormous egos a loss is like a knife to the heart, and they have a list of plausible excuses at the ready but never will admit it was due to better play on the part of their opponent.

    However these deluded individuals are part of the human race, so be thankful that you are not among them and accept them and pass on.


     You are a very wise man Glenn, I hope the op reaps your wisdom!!

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #16

    George1st

    pathfinder416 wrote:

    My opinion: if you display less courtesy online than you would in person, you're behaving badly.


    Nice!

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #17

    Rilly

    i don't like saying good game or gg when i win... i feel like the person will think I'm mocking or bragging saying "oh, its a good game because i won.."

    I will say good game or well played when I lose though.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #18

    AnthonyCG

    Some people are soft. There's nothing you can do about that. You just simply contiune to be gracious and others will do the same.

    As I always say, I will never understand how two people can beat the pulp out of each other in a ring and show respect afterwards while this same behavior is not easy for some that play this board game.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #19

    dillydream

    If you lost, and it was not a good game from your point of view, why not simply say: Congratulations?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #20

    erikido23

    George1st wrote:

    aleph....I feel the same. I pretty much go the extra mile. I compliment their win and post it in main. i believe the more people acknowledge others achievements the more people will do the same back. I have found when playing people I can remember that some are starting to compliment back. I accept all challenges from main and say hello before the game starts. I will not start the game until they say hello back....crude but effective. Thanx for ur post aleph : )))


     So this must be why u have a almost 80% timeout ratio ;P


Back to Top

Post your reply: