Forums

Tally: Forum Annoyances II

Sort:
artfizz

What do you consider the most annoying aspect of the forums? (Either when READING the forums or CREATING the forums)

1.     The same boring, unimaginative, repetitive topics continually recur.

2.     SEARCH facilities are so poor that it’s next-to-impossible to find anything.

3.     There is no facility to reference individual posts.

4.     Too many contributors post inane comments such as “LOL”, “First!”, “me 2” or “Easy”.

5.     Some members are so opinionated in their expressed views – almost to the point of fanaticism.

6.     Lack of a good survey tool [xMenace]

7.     Lack of a decent IGNORE filter[farbror]

8.     Lack of SPAM hygene from moderators [BorqQueen]

9.     Excessive censorship [amac7079]

10.People posting in their own forums to "bump" them and keep them alive long after they would have died out naturally [Evil_Homer]

11.People starting irrelevant forum topics [Evil_Homer]

12.Quoting doesn't work very well {for nesting, breaking a post into parts, or for copying URLs or images} [artfizz]

13.Snobs [Turp]

14.Embedded youtube videos [xMenace]

15.People who post puzzles that aren't puzzles. There can be a number of things wrong with them: -- no solution coded in the puzzle -- no unique solution -- the solution moves aren't even good moves [Loomis]

16.If the OP deletes his or her original post or closes his or her account, all of the subsequent discussion is lost [artfizz]

17.Too many people posting just to create drama needlessly, and to hear themselves talk. [Spiffe]

18.URLs (i.e. links) disappear during submission or re-editing. [artfizz]

19.Table creation, update & quoting is poorly supported. [artfizz]

20.If someone deletes his or her post from the MIDDLE of a discussion, there is no record of it and subsequent posts get renumbered and may no longer make sense. [artfizz]

21.If you click back through a topic in the middle of creating a post, everything that you have written gets thrown away. [artfizz]

22.The titles of forum topics cannot be subsequently corrected or changed. (Actually they can - it's just hidden! pdela wrote:  Manage Content from your Profile page;  action->edit)  ... But title of Group Forum topics still can't be changed.

23.Topic threads that deal with forum management more than chess [JetSetter]

24.No facility to restrict search to topic titles [artfizz]

25.No individual post tracking: you can't find all of the individual posts made by a particular person (yourself or anyone else), nor do you get alerted when they post something (other than when they create a new topic).[artfizz]

26.Rudeness [kajsa]

27.Pedantic correction of spelling, grammar, etc. without regard to legitimate alternatives nor to the effort made by those whose first language is not English. [purcellneil]

28.Plagiarism: people who post a puzzle without mentioning the author, or a game without mentioning the players. [scarjo]

29.people who whine about people being ignorant and in doing that are ignorant themselves, going in some sort of perpetual motion with others [styxtwo]

30.There no mechanism for marking threads as intended to be humourous/humorous, ironical, sarcastic, satirical, parody, burlesque, exaggerated or double entendre. [artfizz]

31.The lack of the  smiley. [LoneWolfEburg]

32.Generic topic titles e.g. "Idea". [artfizz]

33.Not being able to quote multiple people in one post.[  CerebralAssassin]

34.Re-using (thread bumping of) ancient threads instead of just making a new one [ CerebralAssassin]

35.Excessive quoting of quotes [kramakintews]

36.When an oft-repeated topic comes up,  it gets dismissed by someone immediately, referring them to the archives. (I think making new threads is just fine. The ones who are sick of it can ignore it, or have fun with it.) [trysts]

37.Someone creating a forum in which all the first 20 posts are his. [ Reb]

38.Forum viewer's weak handling of non-linearity. [artfizz]

39.Using the forum to play a game of chess: a feature already provided perfectly well by other parts of the site. [Loomis]

40.Referring to another chess.com member in a disparaging way. [artfizz]

41.Hijacking threads [TheGrobe]

42.Deliberate misquoting [artfizz]

artfizz

kco wrote: could you please explain no 5 thanks.

artfizz

xMenace wrote: I'd say it's the lack of a good survey tool

artfizz

artfizz wrote: kco wrote: could you please explain nos 5 thanks. 

5) Some members are so opinionated in their expressed views – almost to the point of fanaticism.

I was thinking particularly of the debates surrounding whether/when to resign, whether opening databases should be used during play, whether it's rude to fail to acknowledge "Hi!" in chat, whether everybody who beats you is automatically cheating, ...

Some contributors seem unable to grasp that an alternative view is viable.

artfizz

artfizz wrote: xMenace wrote: I'd say it's the lack of a good survey tool

I'm hearing that a lot :)

artfizz

farbor wrote: Now what? is it possible to include HTML-code in the posts? How did you get that table?

I want better SEARCH facilities. I was born with a decent IGNORE filter.

artfizz

kco wrote: I would say the most annoying is no.4 and in order no.1, no.5, no2 and the least annoying no.3

artfizz

artfizz wrote: farbror wrote:

Now what? is it possible to include HTML-code in the posts? How did you get that table?

METHOD 1:

It is possible to create the tables directly in HTML using a tool on a webpage. I do that sometimes. here is the link for that process.  (http://www.w3schools.com/cn/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_basic )

Click where it says Tables (under Examples). This opens the TryIt Editor.

Edit the HTML in the left-hand pane. Click on Edit and Click Me. The result is updated on the right-hand side.

Copy and past from the right-hand pane into your forum post.

METHOD 2:

Open a Word document. (v.2003)

Create a table with the right number of COLUMNS ...

Table -> Insert -> Table

specify the number of columns (don't worry about the rows)

click on AutoFormat. Scroll down to Table Style Table Web 1.

Click on OK in the Table Styles dialog.

Click on OK in the Insert Table dialog.

Now paste the data into the cells.

When you TAB out of the last cell, it will create a new row.

Resize the table ...

Put the cursor in any cell. Table -> Select -> Table.

Right click. AutoFit -> AutoFit to Contents.

Finally, paste the entire table into your forum post.

ONE POINT TO WATCH OUT FOR: WHEN YOU QUOTE A POST CONTAINING A TABLE, THE FORMATTING GOES HAYWIRE. (You can copy and paste it directly from another post - just don't try to QUOTE it.)

artfizz

BorgQueen wrote: Depends on the forum.

The chess.com forums suffer badly from 4.

They also suffer from 1, but no so much as 4.

Most other forums I am involved in don't have any of these problems.

IMO there should be moderators here and spam should be disallowed so that posting "first" and such rubbish would earn you demerits and in cases where the member doesn't improve, a forum ban.

artfizz

kco wrote: BorgQueen wrote:

Depends on the forum.

The chess.com forums suffer badly from 4.

They also suffer from 1, but no so much as 4.

Most other forums I am involved in don't have any of these problems.

IMO there should be moderators here and spam should be disallowed so that posting "first" and such rubbish would earn you demerits and in cases where the member doesn't improve, a forum ban.

I completely agree with you on this one.

artfizz

broze wrote: in order of most annoying to least: 42153.

Those "first" "lol" and "me 2" are annoying but it is the "easy" comments in the daily puzzle that annoy me more than anything.  I'm sorry to say it but I think we need some kind of auto-spam hider like youtube.

artfizz

aabbccdd wrote: 12345

artfizz

Evil_Homer wrote: What about.

6. people posting in their own forums to "bump" them and keep them alive long after they would have died out naturally

7. People starting irrelevant forum topics

artfizz

artfizz wrote: Evil_Homer wrote:

What about.

6. people posting in their own forums to "bump" them and keep them alive long after they would have died out naturally ...

That would depend upon whether they have anything new to add. If it is purely a 'bump' message, then that would count as category 4 SPAM.

If, however, the original idea is developed (even by the originator), I don't see a problem with that. In the first place, the list of recent topics is only about 12..15 posts long. New posts come along every few seconds. That makes for a small window of opportunity to get your post seen. Although it is possible to list ALL recent posts (to see if any interesting ones have been missed), it is not easy to do: there is NO SHORTCUT PROVIDED TO DO THIS.

Also, new members are arriving all the time. Quite often, a topic is raised that a previous conversation can shed valuable light on.

artfizz

artfizz wrote: Evil_Homer wrote:

What about.

Could you cite some examples? The Off-Topic category exists specifically to allow discussion of any topic not covered by the other categories. Every topic is presumably relevant to what someone was thinking at the time (assuming they were thinking).

artfizz

artfizz wrote: amac7079 wrote: ...  There is no facility to reference individual posts. Search by name? Not sure what this is but if this about going through pages to see worthwhile comments see above.  ...

If it were possible to reference INDIVIDUAL posts rather than a page of 20 or so posts - or a whole topic, this would be a good thing.

1. When a newcomer asked a question, someone could post a link to the SPECIFIC post that answered their question. (If these newcomer questions were tracked, they could form the basis for a orientation/welcome FAQ)
  2. The site help could be supplemented by links to specific posts, suitably indexed.
  3. Any posts used in that way could earn extra points, thus rewarding useful contributions, and encouraging participation. (Maybe acknowledge the author?)
  4. Members could bookmark posts they found helpful, in the knowledge that their browser bookmark would take them directly to the key information.

ARTREF:REFERENCING INDIVIDUAL POSTS

artfizz

Evil_Homer wrote: artfizz wrote:

Evil_Homer wrote:

What about.

Could you cite some examples? The Off-Topic category exists specifically to allow discussion of any topic not covered by the other categories. Every topic is presumably relevant to what someone was thinking at the time (assuming they were thinking).

Try this,

Not sure I agree that bumping is in the same category as spam, it is merely bumping in the hope of attracting new posts by those who have missed the topic previously or those new to the site.  If everyone did it, we'd still be on the Cheater_1 vs Chess.com game.

artfizz

artfizz wrote: amac7079 wrote:

Personal peeve - i note that censorship is on the rise here and the basis is justified as for the good of the community. i dont think some of the things that have been pulled down or deleted or locked were that detrimental to the forums or the community. The standard that i use to judge may be more liberal than the censors but the censorship should be a tool that is only used in extreme cases of offense (intimate content, inappropriate advertising, or directly personal attacks.) Every censor thinks they are doing a good thing but generally they are just homogenising the environment from thought diversity.

The more recent practice whereby the Moderator explains the reason for locking a thread is a welcome development though.

artfizz

jonnyjupiter wrote: 4 is by far the most annoying.

5 bugs me, but this is exacerbated by those who hold very strong opinions and don't bother to read the rest of the thread, just SHOUTING their opinion at everyone else as if we're stupid for considering others' points of view.

I like considered debate, so the repetition of threads doesn't worry me as long as there isn't too much 4 or 5.

Search tools need to be improved, so 2 as well.

artfizz

onosson wrote: I don't know how complicated it would be to implement (my guess: fairly) but a system akin to what they have at slashdot.org would be fantastic, and might alleviate several concerns at once (1,2,3,8,9 possibly).  Individual comments and even entire topics are rated by individual members, who are appointed as moderators on a rolling basis.  From slashdot's help page at here:

When moderators are given access, they are given a number of points of influence to play with. Each comment they moderate deducts a point. When they run out of points, they are done serving until next time it is their turn.

The system there works really, really well - it would be great if something like that could be implemented here!