• 23 months ago · Quote · #641

Michael-G

It's over , we have a score!!!

• 23 months ago · Quote · #642

fburton

Anand resigns.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #643

Charlotte

i thought that was a great game! hopefully things will liven up a bit in the remaining 5 now

• 23 months ago · Quote · #644

trysts

Here is the superb game seven! Gelfand wins the first game of the match!

• 23 months ago · Quote · #645

netzach

Victory for Gelfand in game 7. Smile

• 23 months ago · Quote · #646

-waller-

Unbelievable scenes! Will this force Anand to take more risks now? I'm hopeful that the match may just have opened up!

• 23 months ago · Quote · #647

Michael-G

Now Anand has to find a way to win.That makes things very interesting.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #648

dashkee94

Now we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if Anand is still the tiger.  Congrats to Gelfand, and he'd better get some sleep tonight.  He's going to need all the energy he can get for Monday's game.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #649

fabelhaft

Wow, what a surprise! Gelfand's first win in 19 years against Anand, and the latter has really looked like a shadow of his former self the last years. Against all players rated above Vallejo it's been draws and losses but not a single win the last 16 months, and he continues to play very unimpressively also in the title match.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #650

keju

Argh I missed all this Yell

• 23 months ago · Quote · #651

petitbonom

Its not all over yet, but its always harder to keep a title than win it for the first time.

Anand is a worthy champion , and Im sure will bounce back.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #652

jesterville

Holy cow...I totally missed the fireworks...and the worst part is...I will not be able to see it live tomorrow either.

Actually, the game looked pretty even until Anand decided to play the risky lines...I guess he now knows why they call it "risky". I actually saw this as Anand loosing, rather than Gelfand winning...but let's not downplay Gelfand's first win on Anand in a very long time. I would love to know what was said at the press conference.

...well, it seems that all the negative comments on Anand's motivation and poor play...along with the cry of "lack of fighting spirit" finally got to the Champion (ex??), and he dicided to go for it...and of course lost.

So, in terms of entertainment value...this is where the 2012 WCC begins. I remember Anand beating Topalov in the final game with black to retain his crown...so we know he is capable. I think the remaining games will be very entertaining, since Anand has to go for it...or he will be forever belittled by being beaten by the weakest of challengers. If there is any gas left in the tank, Vishi has to forget about conservation and go all out.

Can't wait for the next few games...we will see what kind the house of  Anand is made up of...brick or straw?

• 23 months ago · Quote · #653

RealDarren

Anand (black) abandons.    (7th game)

Conlude this game the you budding grandmasters:

Could somebody please finish this game off for me for white.

Gefland wins by the way and he's playing as white.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #654

All_ways_winner

RealDarren

Ng6+ Kg8 Rg7#

• 23 months ago · Quote · #655

-waller-

Yeah the best defence was Rh1+ followed by e1=Q or R+ it doesn't matter and then saccing for the knight on f5. But after ...e1=Q+ its simply forced Ng6+ Kg8 Rg7#

• 23 months ago · Quote · #656

gabrielconroy

Gelfand played a great positional game. Anand's ...Rab8 showed how cramped he was feeling, and ...Ne4 was already starting to take risks in an attempt to gain some activity. ...g5? was fitting within this context.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #657

RealDarren

Now that was a real world title game, I'm finally impressed with this face to face.

(and thanks "All Ways Winner")

• 23 months ago · Quote · #658

Conquistador

Anand pushed too hard on this game.  He should have settled for a draw.  We need more drawn games.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #659

fabelhaft

It's funny, at Chessgames.com Gelfand's recent stats since his latest win against current top five plus Kasparov and Topalov looked like this before today's game against Anand:

Gelfand-Kasparov 0-13 (no win)

Gelfand-Anand 0-5 (since latest win in 1993)

Gelfand-Kramnik 0-4 (since latest win in 1996)

Gelfand-Topalov 0-3 (since latest win in 1997)

Gelfand-Radjabov 0-4 (since only win in 2005)

Gelfand-Carlsen 0-2 (since only win in 2006)

Gelfand-Aronian 0-2 (since latest win in 2009)

Bad results for a possible World Champion, but of course the stats against Anand changed with today's game, and suddenly his winning the title actually looks quite possible, and to me that would be the biggest sensation ever in a title match.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #660

loved

I've enjoyed reading the comments in this thread. Trysts, thanks for posting the win with annotations. I still think Anand can win the match. He will maybe find ways to lure Gelfand into what looks like drawish positions, then spring winning attacks. Something like what Capablanca did against Rubinstein in Berlin, 1928, when Rubinstein (with the Black pieces) accepted an isolated d pawn early in the game. After 44 moves, Akiba had had enough. Go Vishy! You can do it!

Post your reply: