Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

The 2012 World Championship of Chess!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1781

ivandh

Did I miss anything?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1782

CerebralAssassin

jesterville wrote:

"well every champ goes through a downward spiral eventually (due to age).though in anands case I think it's more due to disinterest than age"

....................................................................................................

"CerebralAssassin", although I agree with your assessment of the ineviable downward slope of the performance curve...in Anand's case, a host of commentators have also speculated as to the "why". The fact is that there are too many factors that can be the cause. I find it interesting that everyone says motivation or disinterest, but no one has even considered health or other personal stresses which may be affecting Anand. I think we may never really know, unless he chooses to reveal same at some point in the future. 

yes...it's pure speculation...I don't know for sure....he became a father recently so maybe that has to do with it.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1783

DaBigOne

People doubted Karpov when he recieved the title in 1975

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1784

AnthonyCG

DaBigOne wrote:

People doubted Karpov when he recieved the title in 1975

Yeah but he shut everyone up afterwards lol. We haven't seen Anand play that way for a while now...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1785

hankas

People doubted Karpov because he won the title by default when Fischer refused to play. Nonetheless, Karpov's play was consistently of a very high standard, with precision and technique of a world champion.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1786

Abhishek2

I agree.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1787

trysts

I just read through about 12 pages of this thread. Thanks for reminding me about it Abhishek2! Kind of makes me excited for the Candidates tournament starting March 15th, a little over five weeks away.Smile

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1788

shepi13

Sad that it ended because gelfand blundered a drawn ending under time pressure in a rapid game. Can't wait for the 2013 championship in about a week.

Post your reply: