Forums

The paying vs. free community (and trolling)

Sort:
bronsteinitz

Crooked, so you give the right to speak to those that pay taxes. I imagine women or coloured can not speak anyway in your new world? Why? What is the point?

eddysallin

i'm adding u too the list  ! Not paying, i don't work... i am too busy playing chess. Besides making waves is fun(in the tub and internet ) *anality runs neck and neck w/fomality.

Annabella1

@ Crooked - Knight >  mmm   and you think by  not giving them the priviledge of  chatting  will make a difference?    I have had "issues"  with paying members.  Im sorry......I understand what you are saying and respect  your opinion BUT  unfortunately there are good and bad apples here....members and non members....  I know MANY  ppl who are not members and are very respectful, they come here to play and enjoy.  

lxusr

Internet chat rooms are garbage.

cROOKed_KNIGHT

@Doggy_Style

Some people like to have conversations relevant to the context of the game they are watching, however the chat is flooded with nonsense, making real discussion about chess impossible most of the time.

AndyClifton

"Making real discussion about chess impossible most of the time" is frequently a cause to be lauded. Smile

cROOKed_KNIGHT

For the rest of you who are objecting, im not suggesting letting only the diamond/platinum members use chat. The lowest cost, basic members should be allotted the right as well. It's a matter of principle that the people who make a tangible effort to contribute should not be inconvenienced by the freeloaders.

wbilfc

@firebalz: I don't understand ur point?

AndyClifton

The following is cabby's quote from another thread, which he alluded to earlier:

"So we have 2 types of people here, non-paying and paying. The paying members do of course get certain extra benefits one of which is that they avoid all of the ads here ( this is a crucial point ). Now let us look at an example that I want to bring forward, I'm creating these numbers myself to keep the math simple as I'm not that great with numbers. Let us suppose that when we add up the average number of people visiting this site at any one time to play Games or to chat in forums we have 10 thousand visitors. And let us say that 4 thousand are paying so that leaves the other 6 thousand as not paying. The Companies that PAY MONEY to advertise here are not interested in the those people that do not receive the ads, the 6 thousand non-paying people are only ones who see the ads. Or to put it another way, the non-paying people attact the advertisers ( who pay money here ) because nobody else is seeing the ads. Quite simple really I would say."

Doggy_Style
cROOKed_KNIGHT wrote:

@Doggy_Style

Some people like to have conversations relevant to the context of the game they are watching, however the chat is flooded with nonsense, making real discussion about chess impossible most of the time.

I like informed commentary as much as the next player. Unfortunately, the nature of the internet means that the lowest-rated player will always have the most to say. Any little, half idea will immediately be typed into the chat widow by some over-enthusiast youngster (paying or non-paying). I find it much easier to simply ignore the chat and concentrate on the game. I'm sure that I don't miss much and I don't get wound up.

Crazychessplaya

Sommerswerd

spoilt rich kids troll us all by existing.

wbilfc

Rich kids? Because some pay a subscription they're classified as a rich kid? Please elaborate.

AndyClifton

Spoken like a typical turniphead!

cabadenwurt

Aha, I see that AndyClifton has brought my post over here ( mind you it is a bit longer over in my odds & ends thread ). I assume that the income per member is a bit higher from the paying members compared to what is paid by the Advertisers, but the main point remains that the " freeloaders " such as myself do attact revenue. We are the only people who see the ads that the Advertisers are PAYING for.     

AndyClifton

Sorry for the cropping, cab, but I figured I would just stick to the "logic" part of your argument (like you were talking about). Smile

cabadenwurt

Yes we do have the main part of my post here ( ie: people paying money to advertise ). After all, Money makes the world go around.  Wink 

eddysallin

thks for movie trailer,well done! I'm not a snob (like some people i know) let all watch. Money does not make the world go round,rather it's fairness,justice and of course principle...

AlCzervik

Crazy has shown us there are snobs, and then everyone else. I think.

cROOKed_KNIGHT

@AndyClifton

Removing chat from non-paying members does not remove advertising from non-paying members... so anyone who is equivocating those things is stupid. Non-paying members will still see the ads, however will not be able to chat in games that are not their own games. And if they choose to pay, the site makes more money anyway... so its win/win, except for the trolls who think they can trash talk for free. They lose.