Forums

to you, which is better between golf and chess?

Sort:
nameno1had
AlCzervik wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
DEATHBYRANCHDRESSING wrote:

Golf is hitting a little ball into a little hole kinda far away.

Dumb.

You should have children playing there, you should have families having picnics, you should have a goddamn petting zoo! But instead you've got these stupid little electric carts for you old men with nothing better to do!

It might not being appealing to you but, it is quite challenging. I am rather good at sports like basketball, tennis, football and other very physical sports. I am a terrible ball striker. Anything that is not only a physical but, also a mental challenge is interesting and relevant, even if you personally don't find it appealing. If it were grossly easy, we'd let toddlers do it and we wouldn't care.

I was about to tell this guy what an idiot he is, but you've put it quite well, nemo.

To your point about physical sport, anyone that knows golf will never say it's not physical. Just take a look at the top 20 or so players in the world.

Having said that, there have been fat golfers that have made a living doing it. The same can be said for almost any sport.

Offensive and defensive linemen in football are often big overweight guys, who are really strong and in some cases, surprisingly agile. The best hitter in baseball the last two years, Miguel Cabrara, gets made fun of on the radio show where I live because, the hosts think he could start lactating at any moment. Occasionally, even basketball players in the NBA, are just big fat dudes, but you can't judge a book by it's cover normally. I used to loathe the way Charles Barkley would just bowl people over in the lane to make baskets and grab rebounds, but his girth made him formidable.

AlCzervik

Alex's pic looks like a take on an Escher print.

Hard to believe radio hosts could be making fun of "Fat Mike" unless it's tongue in cheek, and everyone knows it.

I always thought there would be some type of connection between chess players and golfers due to the mental preparation, and the fortitude it takes at high levels to remain focused.

My time on this site tells me it isn't so.

zone_chess

I prefer golf, but it's so hard to play indoors.

How about Golf Chess.

It's played on a field 200 x 200 meters, divided into 64 circles with overlap, like the Audi logo. This allows some tolerance especially required for diagonal moves. Black's circles would be alternated in Blue and Green colors, White's in Red and Yellow to make the circles more distinguishable from a distance. Players hit marked golf balls just like regular golf. Out of bounds or landing on an illegal square means the piece goes to the nearest legal square. Not seeing all pieces with the naked eye also amps up memory training. Players easily run two to three miles during a game, and imagine rook end games.

Woollysock
Which is better, bumping or not bumping ! 🤷‍♂️
Da-Vere

Chess hands down. I used to play golf but got so mad at GolfIng.con that i quit.I cannot tell you how many times i was about to sink a four foot putt to win the match and BOOM, the darn program would tell me i lost-ran out of time when I KNOW i had at least two seconds left on the clock! Plus at the 19th hole everyone was always arguing about whether or not golf was a real sport, like chess for instance. Plus all the cheaters and trolls hanging around the fairways that Golfing.con would do nothing about. Then I tried to get my money back that GolfIng.con clearly stole from me cause i didn’t cancel my membership according to the RULES. The golfers were always trying start new clubs that were really meant to keep others out, it got real annoying. What a load of BS Golfing.con is. Plus, seems like somebody got a crazy idea that when putting, I clearly passed by the other golfers ball that he then moved his ball at a sideways angle and picked up my ball threw off the green. He used some kind of French word like “In Passing” or something. Made me so mad! What would really torque me was at the first tee, everyone would blab on and on about how their opening drive was far superior to everyone else’s because that’s how Jack, Arnie, or Tiger played. Then someone got the bright idea that we should try to recruit and teach the flipping sport to children. Jeeeez, we had kids all over the place, mostly talking incessantly about nothing and cluttering up the place with their silly little questions and attempts to get more attention than the next. Don’t even get me started on miniature golf, oh my gosh! Golfing.con is a joke. A real joke.

Pul-leeeeezzzzz

Phantom_Beast23

nahh, definitely lacrosse

Phantom_Beast23

or, the godly game of sharks and minnows

Phantom_Beast23
MaxBarnes wrote:

Personally not a golf guy, more of a basketball guy

Still though, I choose chess not necessarily because I like it so much more (which admittedly, I do) but more so because it is so versatile... Like during this global pandemic, we can all play online!

Friend me! I will play matches against all  of you and am very nice. I want some more friends here. Go start up a conversation with me on my profile

before covid, I used to play like 3 basketball leagues *sigh* the good old days

AussieMatey

In golf you putt at the pin and see your mates at the 8th.

In chess you put on a pin and c  Mates on the 8th.

Born2slaYer

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/how-to-increase-members-in-my-club?page=1#last_comment

Born2slaYer

Hey mates

anyone can join this conversation.