Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

what exactly gets censored in chat?


  • 4 years ago · Quote · #1

    el_gato

    I wish I could better understand what gets censored by the censorbots. After a game, I was having a great chat with another player when he told me that he got a warning (a "moderator advice") after he said something like "... but the government sucks...," referring to the government of his country.

    At first I was a little freaked to think that someone from Chess.com could possibly be reading all - or most - of our Live Chess chats, but then I realized that it was probably a bot filter. So then it puzzled me: What word(s) got filtered? Was it the word "sucks"? Really? I was not offended by that at all and I wonder if even any parents on this 'family site' would be offended if their child read the word "sucks." What kid doesn't say "sucks" all the time? (Well then, of course, that word could be used as a verb in combination with some other "adult" words in a less common context.)

    Or was it the word "government" that got my friend warned? A long time ago, I had read the Chess.com policy that we are not to discuss politics or religion in open chat, which I thought meant in the main room. I can understand this rule in open chat in the main room. But does this apply also for one-on-one player chat? Because if it does, well... that sucks.  ;)

    I love this site, and I love meeting people from other countries on here and discussing our unique countries and life experiences. Our governments are somewhat central to our personal experiences. I'd hate to think that we can't discuss that here. Or that we should, mid-chat, exit this site and go find an instant message site elsewhere or such... because that's just way impractical since many don't use IM, and certainly not the same IM site.

    So besides curses, can someone give us a clue as to the words that the censorbots are looking for?

    Gracia, Gato

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #2

    ceefor

    The words that get filtered out are:

     

    #%!@

    #@$^

    ###%$@@@##$

    %%!@

    #$%!

    #%%%@#F!

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #3

    dlee180

    I said u suck a lot of times to a chess player and I got warned. u can't say bad words

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #4

    trylang

    well, can i say "sack" instead? haha.. I sack

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #5

    ivandh

    cashew

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #6

    Maradonna

    ivandh wrote:

    cashew


     can't believe you said it. Very disappointed in you.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #7

    ivandh

    Hope I don't get banned

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #8

    Popeye

    Shiss 

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #9

    chazz69

    your a moran,lol

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #10

    BasCuthach

    what happens if you are banned from chat? I had just started the game, the other player was white and was not moving after 2 minutes so I started typing go a bunch of times not knowing I would get banned, is there a time limit, is it permanent?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #11

    PrawnEatsPrawn

    BasCuthach wrote:

    what happens if you are banned from chat? I had just started the game, the other player was white and was not moving after 2 minutes so I started typing go a bunch of times not knowing I would get banned, is there a time limit, is it permanent?


    You can go back after thirty minutes.

  • 23 months ago · Quote · #12

    qBart

    A bump for list of words that is supposed to be wrong to use. 

  • 23 months ago · Quote · #13

    AnthonyCG

    ceefor wrote:

    The words that get filtered out are:

     

    #%!@

    #@$^

    ###%$@@@##$

    %%!@

    #$%!

    #%%%@#F!

    I get #%!@ but #@$^? That's a bit overboard imo.

  • 4 months ago · Quote · #14

    Spectruum57

    Apparently there are rules against flirt, skirt, dirt, curt, pert and hurt ... go figure.

  • 3 months ago · Quote · #15

    frankooo

    I believe there are no rules regarding using vulgarity while chatting...A few players and myself converse in a cybersex mode resulting in no censorship...We all have the option of blocking the chat box  and just focus on playing chess...however...if this site reads the chatting from our personal chatbox...well...that would constiute an invasion of privacy according to the USA law...in my opinion...

  • 3 months ago · Quote · #16

    macer75

    frankooo wrote:

    I believe there are no rules regarding using vulgarity while chatting...A few players and myself converse in a cybersex mode resulting in no censorship...We all have the option of blocking the chat box  and just focus on playing chess...however...if this site reads the chatting from our personal chatbox...well...that would constiute an invasion of privacy according to the USA law...in my opinion...

    Actually, from what I've read in the forums, apparently if you say certain words in chat they trigger an automatic detector, which makes you resign the game you're playing immediately and mutes you for some time.

  • 3 months ago · Quote · #17

    jetfighter13

    frankooo wrote:

    I believe there are no rules regarding using vulgarity while chatting...A few players and myself converse in a cybersex mode resulting in no censorship...We all have the option of blocking the chat box  and just focus on playing chess...however...if this site reads the chatting from our personal chatbox...well...that would constiute an invasion of privacy according to the USA law...in my opinion...

    Its a bot, there is no person who does this. they have the bot set up so that they can keep this a family site. but your mentioning of US pirvacy law is kind of irrelivant because of the NSA. but we won't go there


Back to Top

Post your reply: