Forums

What to rely on connection?

Sort:
Speaker

This refers to Live Chess.

I think no need to say how annoying is this when you lose in the game only because you were disconnected. I understand that connection problem is difficult to solve as this may be beyond of the site control - it can be dropped on a client side.

But why do we need to rely on connection so much? Why not to make it possible to resume the game after connection was restored? All games are saved in database anyway because we can see them in the history. So it should not be a big deal to allow to resume the game if connection was dropped for a small period of time.

Raibutai

I suppose this system was put in so people wouldn't be able too just close their browser window to avoid losing a game. Also, I don't think that there is much of a way to tell the difference between being disconnected randomly and just disconnecting yourself.
peperoniebabie

I think the best solution would be to not award a win for a dropped connection, but instead to save the game at its position and allow 24 hours for the disconnected player to request a game continuation with the other player. This would at least give them some chance to resume their game if fate intervenes.

Speaker
steevmartuns wrote:

I think the best solution would be to not award a win for a dropped connection, but instead to save the game at its position and allow 24 hours for the disconnected player to request a game continuation with the other player. This would at least give them some chance to resume their game if fate intervenes.

I think steevmartuns suggestion dooes make sense.

migrated

I agree with steevmartuns. This happened in one of my live games where I was in a very strong position and also up by a complete rook, and then I dropped connection and counted as a loss which made me quite mad.

plane129
steevmartuns wrote:

Agreed

Raibutai
steevmartuns wrote:

I agree. This would make it so people can't cut their connection so it won't count as a loss, while allowing the legit players to play on. I think this idea should be put into effect for Live Chess.

johnmartin

I think the problem with a disconnection is a player may simply "disconnect themselves" to gain more thinking time.

So may be could treat a disconnection like an "adjournment". Each player would be allowed one adjournment that they can request during he game. A disconnection could be treated as an immediate "request" for an adjournment of say 24 hours.

If a player is unlucky and is disconnected again they then lose on time.

likesforests

Erik already designed a solution for us:

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/chesscom-disconnects--adjourn-part-3---please-give-your-opinion

For some reason it has not been deployed yet... hopefully soon. I can't take live chess seriously as long as brief disconnections due to no fault of your own lose ratings points even when you have plenty of time left on your clock.

Raibutai> I suppose this system was put in so people wouldn't be able too just close their browser window to avoid losing a game.

See Erik's proposal. There are solutions not prone to abuse, such as continuing to run the disconnected player's clock when they're away. Judge for yourself how well his third proposal balances the need to avoid abuse with the need not to arbitrarily lose games.

johnmartin

I think my adjournment idea is a simple solution.

I wont be playing any more live chess on chess.com until disconnection issue is sorted. Being disconnected when you're winning or have the advantage is too annoying! Until then I will only now play correspondence chess.

dragondorf

I believe this was tried about 1 month ago but it didn't work out because people were using it to gain time.I hope they come up with a long-term solution that can be used soon.

johnmartin

I would be happy with someone suddenly gaining extra time by getting an adjournment, if it gives the insurance that if suddenly disconnected (once) would not lose the game. I think of this "adjournment" here as similar to the adjournment that happens or used to happen in world chess championships after games at move 40.

LukeyJ

I agree with this be rearranging a time where both players are on becomes difficult.

I think there should be a short period of time to regain the connection, like 2/3 minutes. If the connection isn't regained then, then there is a chance of it being intentional. Even if it wasn't, it'd cut the number of incidents down dramatically which would satsify users of the site more than the current method.