8812 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
What's wrong with the current design of Live Chess Premium?
I’ll tell you what’s wrong – the board isn’t big enough. And there is lots of wasted space.
Look at this screenshot: http://grab.by/8TaG - only 25% of the screen is the board!!
Now look at this concept: http://grab.by/8TaY - now you can use 40% of the screen as board, and you don’t lose ANY chat boxes or features.
Finally, look at THIS concept!??! - http://grab.by/8TnU - that board gets 60% of the available non-browser screen space! [note - the design is ROUGH. there are a few wrong elements (2 new game buttons, etc), but it's a CONCEPT.
I’d love to have you weigh in on this and let me know what you think. I've broken it down to the actual issues at hand. the choices are outlined below. and don't think of it as an either-or, we can pull the best elements of each design. please vote for what you like!
use these two to compare:
http://grab.by/8TnU and http://grab.by/8TnI
2. game chat
3. notation/captured pieces/resign&draw buttons
4. game tabs
5. console, main chat, private chat, and misc chat rooms
Thanks for your thoughts!
my votes are:
1 - a (though I could happily get used to b I think!)
2 - b
3 - b
4 - I think a makes more sense, but that's hard to do if you are maximizing vertical space and having the other elements on the sidebar
5 - b (you can then focus on ONE secondary activity at a time - players, games, events, or chat; you can still open as many detached windows as you like)
Heh, I like the bigger board, but the thing I noticed first? Dang dude, you have a ton of extensions installed! :-)
I like both new desings. I think the one with the bigger board is nice but the other elements are too much for the right side of the screen and looks a little crowded. If the right side can be rearranged better that would be perfect.
The other new design seems to be more pleasent to the view and removes the chat from the board panel that is the most space consuming element there. Also the other elements are well presented on the right side of the screen.
1. names/clocks -> a. above&below board
2. game chat -> b. on sidebar
3. notation/captured pieces/resign&draw buttons -> b. on sidebar
4. game tabs (none of the options, I think that the tab should enclose the whole information of the game, I know this is hard to do, but is more "natural")
5. console, main chat, private chat, and misc chat rooms -> b. don't mind putting all of those in their own "chat" tab with the other tabs (players, games, etc) [NOTE: they would each still have their own sub-tabs - seehttp://grab.by/8Toj )
1.a and 2.b for me, but I'm even ok with the current one too.
Cool concepts! I like:
1. A (names \ clocks above board)
2. A (game chat below board)
3. B (notation/captured pieces/resign&draw buttons on sidebar)
4. B (game tabs in sidebar)
5. A (console, main chat, private chat, and misc chat rooms in chat tab)
I'm listed in one of your screenshots!
I like #1 better (: I agree that it's harder for me to see the whole picture if it's absolutely huge. And yeah, lag DOES need to be adredsed.
Why not make all three an option to choose from? concept 2 should be the defult.
1. names/clocks = a. above & below board
2. game chat = b. on sidebar
3. notation/captured pieces/resign & draw buttons = b. on sidebar
4. game tabs = a. above the actual boards
5. console, main chat, private chat, and misc chat rooms = b. don't mind putting all of those in their own "chat" tab with the other tabs…
ok - here is another concept:
maximizes the board size, but puts names where they are needed.
So I'm not the only one who thought the board was too small (that's why I generally use the desktop client, sound glitches and all).
1. (a) above and below require less time to disseminate, which is important in blitz games.
3. (a) Quicker access is better
4. Doesn't much matter for me
5. (b) In this regard, I liked the version of live chess that was used when I got here.
I still don't like the board tabs sitting over away from the board, but I understand your desire to maximize board space.
This is my favorite of the bunch... I assume we would have the option to move the board to the right side of the screen like we do now?
Hmmm... I really like Giant stuff.. It makes everything easy to see. I also think that while you are redisigning the live chess, you should add live chess tournaments. I also think that you should have the time controls somewhere large and visible so people can note if there are increments. This, although sounds minor, really saves games. I also tnk that the rest of it should be the same, but all pieces captured should be compared by pieces. Sort of like what ICC has, from what I have seen in the free trial. Just suggestions
Where's the "thumbs-up" button you can give to increase your opponent's sportsmanship score?
Nice glasses :)
From my point of view, the interface here is the best. When I play live games I always use the fullscreen option of the browser and the board is just about right.
Sound Issue - In Live Chess
by LongIslandMark a few minutes ago
by blasterdragon 5 minutes ago
5/25/2013 - Pieces Out of Play
by heintz007 7 minutes ago
5,000 Signs You Don't Know Enough About Chess
by Sutirtha11 8 minutes ago
How can I analyse games played outside of the site?
by Stigmatisert 13 minutes ago
Add Capablanca chess to chess.com?
by sisu 15 minutes ago
Is it possible that there are psychic chess masters?
by ivandh 15 minutes ago
Opening explorer give VERY MISLEADING statisticS
by sisu 16 minutes ago
Quick way to end this K+R+P vs K+R ending
by yeres30 20 minutes ago
Chess Books for 2100+ players
by waffllemaster 28 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2013 Chess.com