Forums

YouTube Tryouts!

Sort:
WanderingPuppet

my (approx 2150+ USCF) favorites [youtube live chess presenters in general] in order of preference:

1: chessexplained

2: dpruess [inactive]

3: tiger lilov

4: acechess (danny)

5: squarology

on the basis of playing strength, focus, relevant paced instructive material and ease to listen to.  speaking voice and a modicum of professionalism and positive energy is very important too.

ChessAcademyHQ

thanks, e245 :) edit: and petrosianic! thank you for including me in that list!

but I've already gotten a dislike for my latest video haha, I thought it was pretty darn good.

TitanCG

Everyone gets dislikes especially when there are comments about thumbing up.

chasm1995
squarology wrote:

thanks, e245 :) edit: and petrosianic! thank you for including me in that list!

but I've already gotten a dislike for my latest video haha, I thought it was pretty darn good.

Radiohead has dislikes for their songs.  It's just people with no taste, imo.  Same with your videos.  They're funny and you do learn stuff from them.

CousinMaestro

As a fanboy I have to give my vote to Zibbit. I have been a fan since his first Pattern Recognition video which he did for cv.tv. And I can honestly say no videos have helped me as much as his in my chess improvement.

The other leading vote-getters each have their merit but to me they simply don't stack up in terms of versatility. Awww-rats has some interesting stuff to talk about but until now I haven't seen any blitz videos vs strong opponents yet which I thought was the main idea of this YouTube stuff. Squarology is pretty good and entertaining but still makes mistakes and doesn't seem to be as good a blitz player although of course doing the commentary could be distracting his chess. Also in terms of FIDE rating Zibbit is beating both these guys it seems to me although that shouldn't be a deciding factor. Also Zibbit seems to be the best candidate in making bullet videos along with the blitz videos.

I cast my vote for Zibbit and I encourage you to look at both his videos and those he has done in the past....to me you are all missing out if you don't select Zibbit!! And I just want to re-iterate I like the others and I don't want to come off as putting them off but as a fanboy I would get really upset if you don't select Zibbit!

ChessAcademyHQ

oooohhh, no you didn't! but my girlfriend is hotter...

Coach-Bill
CousinMaestro wrote:

The other leading vote-getters each have their merit but to me they simply don't stack up in terms of versatility. Awww-rats has some interesting stuff to talk about but until now I haven't seen any blitz videos vs strong opponents yet which I thought was the main idea of this YouTube stuff. 

Interesting comments...I looked at the initial post of this topic and repost what it says:

What are we looking for? 

1) Someone who can record their own videos, edit / upload them!

2) No, you don't have to be a Grandmaster to do this! The technical skill to record, and the personality to entertain are the most important factors here. 

Yes, there is consistent, *paid* work on the other side of this tryout for the winners!

I admit I am not a great blitz player. It's hard enough for me to play a good game, as I am distracted by having to share all my thoughts, which I do for instructional purposes. I have beaten titled players over at ICC, but then I lose to players U1500 frequently. This has nothing to do with my age, it has to do with my style of play. Not to mention the fact back in the 1970s I didn't play blitz chess, only long tournament games.

Blitz, in my opinion, is a chess variant. However, it can be a great venue to practice openings, endings, tactics. Also, blitz videos don't last long, and a casual observer is more likely to watch the whole thing than one of my 2-3 hour videos of my standard time control games or simuls I play. Those really have instructional value as I really tell what's going on in my head. Ideally, it would be great to not only play top level blitz chess, but have the talent to deliver a top quality video. I can't do both those two things, but I believe I can captivate an audience who is eager to play a titled player. In my opinion chess.com will benefit with me making videos against random players as they will know they can participate. Live video matches between top players already abound. I will lose a lot of games and simply make a lot of player's day! Plus, everyone who watches will be entertained and learn something!

I haven't said much in this thread, but it appears at least both squarology and I will win, we are way ahead by my unnoficial vote tally. The rules call for winners. How many winners? I have no clue, that's up to chess.com 

Th3ChessViking
squarology wrote:

oooohhh, no you didn't! but my girlfriend is hotter...

I am pretty sure she is, some beautiful women in Columbia, I like Sofia Vergara ;-)

Th3ChessViking

Whatever happens it would be nice to hear from the Chess.com people pretty soon. My refresh button can't take it anymore after close to 3 weeks now ;-)

To address some points in what awww-rats said in his last post, I can and will and HAVE been playing plenty of lower rated players who have wanted games. The last few weeks I've spent a lot of time in the LIVE chess and played number of games against so many novice players challenging me.

MrDamonSmith

Really now squarology. Who can't play blitz, listen to music, read the dictionary, deal with the electric company, check emails, AND juggle 4 flaming torches at the same time? Come on now, you can do it....

GargleBlaster

Hello.  Sorry for the late entries, but I'm very new to video making and only recently have gotten any sort of hang of this.  Anyhow, I've a few videos up now and would appreciate feedback - I realize I'm not a titled player but I don't think the contest shouldn't completely ignore untitled entries, especially as the vast majority of the membership here (or anywhere else) is well below such a level.  Anyhow, here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5m8WyMP8MI

I'll probably try and make more videos like this if there's any interest, (which, to be honest, I tend to doubt, given the one person a day viewership).

I've also tried to make bullet chess videos, and have found that it's difficult to talk during them.  Therefore in my latest episode, I've taken to singing instead:

Again, I realize that without a title I'm at a massive disadvantage over pretty much every other contestant, but would appreciate feedback nonetheless.

ChessAcademyHQ
MrDamonSmith wrote:

Really now squarology. Who can't play blitz, listen to music, read the dictionary, deal with the electric company, check emails, AND juggle 4 flaming torches at the same time? Come on now, you can do it....

haha :)

tliu1222

I'm now a student of squareology...

Okay, so it's obvious.

Sorry, everyone else. You guys are also good, but only he can juggle commentary, the dictionary, chess, students, and dragonball.

tliu1222

Oh, and I remember the electric company. Real good timing!

GargleBlaster

OK, though late to the game, I'm starting to generate some videos now.  Again, without a title I'm at what seems a more or less insurmountable disadvantage, but I still feel that the video perspective of the other 99.9% of the site should count for something. 

Thus, in that underdog spirit, here are three more videos I hope someone somewhere finds of some interest.  The first features me managing to win against a somewhat rude opponent, the second involves an introductory rant (that can be skipped by fast-forwarding to the game at 3:57), and the third is a good example of the attacking potential of opposite colored bishops.

jbarak

I love IM squarology's videos!

ChessAcademyHQ

hi, guys, thank you so much for your comments/votes. I really appreciate them :)

my latest video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyIb5JQv9bs

or embedded if you prefer:

I read chapter 1 of Hans Kmoch's Pawn Power today in the hopes of creating an educational video. Hope you guys like it.

TVEDAS

Hey guys, I've got three new videos for you.

http://www.chess.com/blog/TVEDAS/new-content-on-my-youtube-channel

all embedded here so as to not cluster this thread :) Lemme know what you think! 

thecheesykid

squarology I hope you make many more vids, you manage to be funny and informative all in one, a tough combo, keep it up man :)

koohai

vote for zibbit video he is good and give me advice also