Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

10/13/2012 - Muratov - Janovsky, Russia, 1968

• 24 months ago · Quote · #141

jakester127

extremeblueness wrote:

Why on earth is that first move even in there. Its a blunder, as the knight now becomes under attack by the rook, and a hanging piece. The rook is perfectly capable of moving, and I don't know why it doesn't. And why on earth does the queen move into attack? It could easily be captured on the next turn, as its hanging as well. Also, whites move with the rook could have been avoided altogether, and the end result would have been the same. Also, white's knight could have been captured in the move to g6, as it was hanging, and under attack by a pawn.

Well, if the rook takes the knight on the first move, white plays Qd8+ followed by Rxd8# when black rook retakes.  As for the queen move, if black takes it with his knight, white plays Rd8#.  As for the knight move to g8, black was under check by the knight and the queen making it impossible to take the knight as he would still be under check by the queen.  That first move isn't a blunder as it leads to mate or a large material advantage for white.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #142

jakester127

extremeblueness wrote:

So, in conclusion, both Muratov and Janovsky were complete idiots when it came to this game.

Really?  Based on your ignorance in your previous comment, I think that's quite a stretch to conclude.  Actually, if anything, I could conclude that you are a complete idiot due to your total ignorance of the concept of double check and your inability to see some basic mating patterns.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #143

neersoft

B-)

• 24 months ago · Quote · #144

extremeblueness

The knight and queen could have been captured long before the first check was placed!!! And I do know what a double check is, I just didn't see that it was a double check.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #145

waynedickinson2

why didnt black take that darn knight?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #146

for_love_of_game

What if black plays f6?? Doesn't look like forced mate...

• 24 months ago · Quote · #147

damongross

One of the nicest combinations to lead up to the smothered mate that I have ever seen.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #148

extremeblueness

jakester127 wrote:
    extremeblueness wrote:

Why on earth is that first move even in there. Its a blunder, as the knight now becomes under attack by the rook, and a hanging piece. The rook is perfectly capable of moving, and I don't know why it doesn't. And why on earth does the queen move into attack? It could easily be captured on the next turn, as its hanging as well. Also, whites move with the rook could have been avoided altogether, and the end result would have been the same. Also, white's knight could have been captured in the move to g6, as it was hanging, and under attack by a pawn.

Well, if the rook takes the knight on the first move, white plays Qd8+ followed by Rxd8# when black rook retakes.  As for the queen move, if black takes it with his knight, white plays Rd8#.  As for the knight move to g8, black was under check by the knight and the queen making it impossible to take the knight as he would still be under check by the queen.  That first move isn't a blunder as it leads to mate or a large material advantage for white.

Just saw this. Sorry. And you still haven't addressed the queen question. Instead of moving out of check, black could have captured with the knight.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #149

extremeblueness

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 24 months ago · Quote · #150

for_love_of_game

If black captures with knight, Qd8#. However, I think if black plays f6 then white won't be able to force mate.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #151

extremeblueness

I realized that. That's why I deleted the comment. But what if after Qb4, black captures the queen with the knight?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #152

for_love_of_game

extremeblueness wrote:
    jakester127 wrote:
    extremeblueness wrote:

Just saw this. Sorry. And you still haven't addressed the queen question. Instead of moving out of check, black could have captured with the knight.

Sorry not asked from me but couldn't resist answering :), I think if black captures queen with knight then Rd8#, as black's king fleeing square is guarded by white knight.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #153

Myth404

Great puzzle!

• 24 months ago · Quote · #154

deepak21071974

hmm:)

• 24 months ago · Quote · #155

Myth404

for_love_of_game wrote:

If black captures with knight, Qd8#. However, I think if black plays f6 then white won't be able to force mate.

If black capture white Queen Qd8, White rook will checkmate the black king, and the game end.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #156

kibuyaga

Beautiful!! Great

• 24 months ago · Quote · #157

Mack2

Still could not understand clearly why ND5 and not QD5. this would have changes the scene to either draw or black win,

• 24 months ago · Quote · #158

extremeblueness

for_love_of_game wrote:
    extremeblueness wrote:
    jakester127 wrote:
    extremeblueness wrote:

Sorry not asked from me but couldn't resist answering :), I think if black captures queen with knight then Rd8#, as black's king fleeing square is guarded by white knight.

Oh wow. So it was forced checkmate. Why do we have to have knights? They make everything confusing.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #159

jaliam

Superb move! I have to remember this play. Thanks for sharing. Lose the Queen, mate the King! :)

• 24 months ago · Quote · #160

El-deep

it has alot of erros in the game the qween sholud by dead

Post your reply: