Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

10/6/2011 - Converting in Efficient Manner

• 3 years ago · Quote · #61

ZacWilson

easy to fall into the stalemate trap with Rxh7 instead of d7+.  A good lesson to always be on the look out for an accidental stalemate.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #62

rumi99

Good to solve.It has also another many many way......................

• 3 years ago · Quote · #63

paulified22

IncrediBill wrote:

You almost expected it to be an exclusively Queening problem. ie. converting a pawn to a Queen.  But they stopped us just short of the promotion.

This may not be efficient . . . but at least you get to promote two pawns

thanks for your way not to promote a pawn with Q,and someones correct method,was able to solve,rule of thumb,lesson from bill indirectly,thanks1,Kc6...Rh7,2.pd7+...Rd73.Rh8,as far as puzzle went but to mate.3.Rh8...Rd8,4. Rd8#

• 3 years ago · Quote · #64

waltode6

wow

• 3 years ago · Quote · #65

daxternator

Okay

• 3 years ago · Quote · #66

Djazbin

Il faut savoir donner pour assurer le gain... bonne journée.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #67

therealjayrock

I've played several endgames like this. Two interesting checkmates - One with two pawns and one with a king and a rook (with a pawn for protection). Saw it right away.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #68

_36darshan--

Damn easy problem. Black is trying for a draw. Don't take the rook it would be stalemate.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #69

LloydG

nice one

• 3 years ago · Quote · #70

paulified22

IncrediBill wrote:

You almost expected it to be an exclusively Queening problem. ie. converting a pawn to a Queen.  But they stopped us just short of the promotion.

This may not be efficient . . . but at least you get to promote two pawns

would K move to Kb7,Kd7,on second move,he has a choice,or would Kd7 leed to # quicker,or stop pawn promotion?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #71

Samer-Syr

nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #72

saijiki88

Shows the power of pawns.  I must be getting a bit better, I saw this one.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #73

surendar_d

Nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #74

tempora-mutantor

Nice puzzle.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #75

paulified22

ZucchiniMann wrote:

There are many ways to win this position [as far as I can see, any move of the rook on the 6th rank will do it, maybe even any move ]. 1. Kc6 is only the most efficient manner.

After a closer look, it really looks like even 1. d7? is clinching it.

nice stratogy,but how many people would have solved your way.mate in 4 is alot more efficient

• 3 years ago · Quote · #76

SuperCourgette

@ paulified22: I just tried to show that even the worst move in the position (1.d7????) is winning. And by the way, I really wonder how many people found the mate in 4 directly. I first found 1.Rg6 as a winning option. Since "my" move was not accepted, I tried harder and only then found 1.Kc6 which I had first rejected because of 1. ...Rxh7

For such a position, it would be good to indicate "mate in 4", because, as already mentioned, any white move wins.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #77

FredBatchelor

Embarassed

• 3 years ago · Quote · #78

inhouse

RXR stalemate.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #79

karblack

buenisimo

• 3 years ago · Quote · #80

kathiravanj

Not a good one Though.