Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

10/8/2011 - Mate in 8

• 3 years ago · Quote · #161

kdl88

Wow... good to see all the 1100's not exclaiming how easy it was...  Really tough and good puzzle...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #162

rjavier

that was odd - i see a checkmate without the difficulties that are presented bythe game - of course there are always different solutions to every puzzle, but this seemed to take the long way home.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #163

Uomoviso

tricky one

• 3 years ago · Quote · #164

acego

Oh!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #165

kaichess

hard for begginers like me, but just a curious,how many players here could see 8 moves before?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #166

qbsuperstar03

melodyzhang wrote:

what de heck was this stuff all about? didnt understand a single thing at all! please will some kindly soul explain every single move in extreme detail? here are some points to consider when explaining:

why the move was made & what advantages it gave white explain clearly in common, understandable English, not "chess" language type the ideas in neat lines and clear lines THANK-YOU FOR THIS FAVOR!

P.S-  you don't have to if you dont want to. again, THANK-YOU FOR THIS FAVOR!!!

The first move, capturing the pawn with the queen, breaks up the defensive bulwark in front of the king and forces Black to break cover by capturing the queen.  Next, the rook goes over and attacks the king again, and Black is forced to the edge.  (If he moves into the corner, he's mated by the bishop.)  The bishop then attacks the king again, forcing him further away from his reinforcements.  The next move is hard to see, but what it does is prevent Black's king from using the bishop as a shield against the rook's attack...being over-aggressive with the rook gives Black an opportunity to escape the trap.

Black then tries some counter-play by checking white's king because if the king takes White's rook, the knight delivers mate.  White calmly recaptures with the knight so the bishop can guard the rook, and Black has nothing better to do than advance his pawn.  Finally, White unleashes a discovered check by moving the rook, which Black blocks by interposing the bishop (which his last move permitted him to do).  White continues the assault by capturing the bishop, forcing Black's king into a position where it cannot escape after White delivers the final blow with the other bishop.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #167

tnt2000

it was ok

• 3 years ago · Quote · #168

Jacob30

Chesster-Field wrote:
    Jacob30 wrote:
    Good_Day_Mate wrote:
    Jacob30 wrote:

k

Will someone please get Jacob30 a girlfriend?  He has some serious problems.

Unless you are the same person who said that before it has been said before by someone else. Interesting or something. I have Bipolar Schzoeffective insomnia asthma and restless leg syndrome and a couple of other things. Thanks for your concern. Much appreciated.

Don't forget Morbid Obesity

I don't feel obese right now, but I weigh a lot. And yes that is a problem among many people. If you wish to discuss it further contact your local doctor for help.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #169

Jacob30

bigryoung wrote:

Jacob30 for player of the month

Thanks

• 3 years ago · Quote · #170

dragon-g6

Wow, a non-check waiting move and still forced mate  Surprised

• 3 years ago · Quote · #171

mohyneenm

aphyer wrote:

So...a few of the moves here seriously confuse me, especially 4.Bf6 which appears to allow Kxg4 (I see White can fork the queen afterwards, but it's hard to see how White can get a mate).  Can anyone who understands this better then me put together an analysis with other lines detailed?

Nd4 mate.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #172

hollisga

Having ploughed through 8 pages of mostly inane comments, I still have not found anyone asking where this comes from.

Is it a game?  A sideline in a game??  A composition???

Yet again a plea to the person who prepares this daily puzzle: for heavens sake, quote your sources.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #173

Edgar__Poe

I always hate these mate in anything more then 3 or 4 for players like me (not very good ones but still like to play a lot and do these daily puzzles) this is just a waste of a daily puzzle :/

• 3 years ago · Quote · #174

Semperidem

I'm not very good at chess but this puzzle seems wierd, black did not do any good moves.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #175

djepi

I agree with melodyzhang's request..

• 3 years ago · Quote · #176

bilibudd

mmm

• 3 years ago · Quote · #177

pavandlegend

can u plzz tell me why it is 4.bf6?? i am seriously confused!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #178

KumarAnkur

Anybody tell me plz

After Bf6,what is significance of Bxh2+?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #179

dragan51

maraton

• 3 years ago · Quote · #180

jlacosta

Where is the sunday puzzle? 

Post your reply: