• 3 years ago · Quote · #144

chessleogeo

irisl wrote:

easy

here's a puzzle which black doesn't capture white' pieces

i dont get this puzzle that irisl wrote

• 3 years ago · Quote · #145

Bill_C

Though flawed in the puzzle by wsk, there is a very interesting lines to this. It could easily be a helpmate as in White to move and Black to mate in 2. Here is Black's Mate on the check:

If the Bishop is on b3 instead, then we have a whole different sequence that wins for White. The moves would be:

And those a are just a few of the possible lines white has if Black' Bishop were on b4 instead of c4. Note also in the orignal puzzle Black has many ways to mate if White does not check besides 1. ... Nb3# (1 movers also are 1. ... Rb1# and 1. ... Ra2# by double checks. 2 movers are if Black plays Rook to c2 or anywhere on the b-file, White interposes with the Bishop and then either takes with Queen for mate or if on the b-file the rook slides to the a-file and the Bishop is unable to defend due to the pin. Black at c2 also can simply play 2. ... Ra2#. A lot of different plays for Black and all roads lead to mate, even with 1. Qh8+. Wsk should be commended though as some of us will not place puzzles in of our own creation and wsk did. Bravo and keep working at it W.
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #146

sparkchess0501

easy!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #147

helloyello

First on the ninth page thats good

• 3 years ago · Quote · #148

BillBeachwood

Noyce.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #149

secret7

163rd

• 3 years ago · Quote · #150

Bill_C

irisl wrote:

easy

here's a puzzle which black doesn't capture white' pieces

****takes a sharp stick and pokes his eye out (mine) and asks "what the heck was that? Very interesting though as Black had many opportunities for mate. Nice post irisl. Keep them coming please.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #151

aboveaverage

dufferps wrote:

I saved this spot with a post before solving the puzzle.  Then I went back and solved it.  It is now 3:04 EST (New York Time). 

Pretty interesting situation - The two rooks couldn't have done it by themselves (i.e., without the Bishop blocking f8). because they could not check the king when he got to e8 - the black rook at e1 would prevent white's Re7. 

An interesting exercise is to remove the bishop, and play it out.  White can force a draw
    1. Rxg7+  Kf8, 2. Rh1 Kg9  (2. ... any other move, 3. Rh8#) 3. Rhg7+ ,,,,,,
    White uses his kingside Rook to check Black King on g8 and/or h9.  If King moves to f8, white Rook goes to h7, threatenig R.h8 checkmate.  White draws with repetitive checks.

If, white brings his queenside Rook over to check the black king (say 2. Rcf7+) it allows ... Ke8 with no threat of checkmate by one Rook  on g8 or on h8 with a rook at c7 preventing black King from escaping to the 7th rank.  Then black king can alternate between e8 and d8. On e8 he is safe so long as one of white's rooks is on d7 or on f7.  On d8, he is safe from a checkmate from the kingside Rook on the 8th rank; he can interpose his rook at e8.  In this situation black gains tempos and can advance his a-pawn, wth a good chance of promotiong it and winning.

where is that g9 come from?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #152

ChessChump99207

simple

• 3 years ago · Quote · #153

shon615

i hate it when the obvious answer just doesn;t come to me at first glance..,

it gets annoying after a while and it tok me like 5 mins just to find the first move.

It was very easy after that, but Its just that it takes me sooo long in the beginning. Nice mate with the two rooks and the bishop. I love how the bishop and the other pieces are always at the exact spot where they have to be to make this mate possible, espicially in this puzzle...

This is the differnece between mediocre players and advanced players, the ability to see such checkmates at the first glance. 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #154

Vitix

nice one!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #155

zman1234

3/10, waiting for the good-old Friday and Saturday-like puzzles to come up.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #156

daddysmurf

easyCool

• 3 years ago · Quote · #157

jimofchess

Nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #158

aaroninthe360

BAM!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #159

karblack

easy

• 3 years ago · Quote · #160

saijiki88

This one wasn't too hard for me because of the rooks.  For some reason I see patterns with rooks much quicker and easier than other pieces.

Post your reply: