Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

11/30/2012 - Bobby Fischer - Arthur Bisguier, NY 1965

• 22 months ago · Quote · #61

anupralhad

nice

• 22 months ago · Quote · #62

Joe_27

bispomaluco wrote:

In today's puzzle (November 30th), wouldn't it be a simpler solution Bxg6 and then directly Rxh8?

That would be responded to by NxB not Kh6 so the check mate opportunity would be lost

• 22 months ago · Quote · #63

dufferps

Nice to see that they played it out at the end.  So often, in masters play, black would have resigned when the end was so obvious. 

By the way, I think 5. hxg6+ would have worked just as well.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #64

krunalgohil19

hmmm

• 22 months ago · Quote · #65

paulified22

Knowing most of these puzzle's start off by sacing a piece,today was no different, The white B and pawn made mate possible 1.Rxh8+...Kxh8, 2.Rc8+...Re8, 3.Rxe8+...Rf8, 4.Rxf8+...Kh7, 5.Bxg6+...Kh6, 6.Rh8#.You could have checked with g6+ at move 5 and still mated with Rh8,black K was stuck on h file.Do you think white saw mate from move 1? I did not see mate line untill move 3.Nice puzzle,Thank's Chess.Com good day chess head's.I all most checked with Bxg6+ to start but Nxg6 left me no where, so I saced R for first move and the rest fell into place,If K move's to h7 on move 2,puzzle end's same way by checking with Bxg6+...Kh6, Rh8#, or hxg6+...Kh6, Rh8#.The two R block's just delayed mate,so I guess you could call all move's forced.It feel's good to solve puzzle with out any help,but knowing how these puzzle's work was a hint,by saclng R to start!!

• 22 months ago · Quote · #66

Disgruntled_Sheep

I took with the pawn instead of the bishop and got the "wrong move" but I can't see where the difference lies...

• 22 months ago · Quote · #67

kaichess

Fischer, The Great!

• 22 months ago · Quote · #68

Conflagration_Planet

Last.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #69

damongross

Nicely done, Bobby!!

• 22 months ago · Quote · #70

mpscheck

5hxg7+ should work as well. sn't it?

• 22 months ago · Quote · #71

Sreimund

mpscheck wrote:

I take it you mean g6 but ...Nxg6 will prevent any way of mating, or at the very least delay it much longer then the correct solution.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #72

Rehya

iiinteresting.....

• 22 months ago · Quote · #73

n_srinath93

easy! coool..Innocent

• 22 months ago · Quote · #74

jackOFspades203

nice

• 22 months ago · Quote · #75

stephen_33

Sreimund wrote:
    mpscheck wrote:

I take it you mean g6 but ...Nxg6 will prevent any way of mating, or at the very least delay it much longer then the correct solution.

In fact that does work...

5. hxg6+ Kh6 6. Rh8#

Like Sreimund, I first thought 1.hxg6 was meant but after 1...Nxg6, White has nothing - it's crucial that the pawn is left on h5 for this attack to work & a player like Fischer knew that   Wink

• 22 months ago · Quote · #76

ZacWilson

Excellent example from Fischer

• 22 months ago · Quote · #77

wyh2013

a sacrifice not to be met.good one

• 22 months ago · Quote · #78

RookPFeynman

Unbelievable! Nice puzzle.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #79

naturalproduct

nice.