Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

1/20/2012 - Mate in 5

• 3 years ago · Quote · #81

kvlc

I overthought this one.  I was thinking maybe start with Qa6 to suck the king out, but it was really simpler than that.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #82

damongross

Truly a fine puzzle.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #83

jkampfe

The funny thing is that the only reason black would sack the queen in this instance is if black could see the mate coming.  If black can see the mate coming, then why not anticipate it in some other fashion.  Sacking the queen doesn't even really buy time.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #84

jorgheb12

very nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #85

onthehouse

Deep.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #86

baldax

Basic checkmates!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #87

slowhare

Problem with this puzzle before it starts, black would not have left white's Queen standing.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #88

m_majid_khan

• 3 years ago · Quote · #89

m_majid_khan

nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #90

alexjb1007

fairly straight-forward

• 3 years ago · Quote · #91

abhishekghosale

very nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #92

damienDude

first

• 3 years ago · Quote · #93

saqlain5699

awesom 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #94

CrecyWar

Cool

• 3 years ago · Quote · #95

saijiki88

Great puzzle, especially with the Bishop backing things up from the other end of the board.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #96

relatedsqrs

very instructive puzzle

• 3 years ago · Quote · #97

MsIceQueen

neodill wrote:

Quite stupid... why didnt black have the queen? I don't get it.. even amateurs like me wouldnt perform such a risky move.

That is why you are still an amateur as am I; albeit, a more experienced one whom can easily see the Pin by the White Ice Bishop allowing the Ice Queen to post at a6!

Icee...You see...We should all see the Pin! See!?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #98

ChapdawG09

First

• 3 years ago · Quote · #99

RenataCFC

jkampfe wrote:

The funny thing is that the only reason black would sack the queen in this instance is if black could see the mate coming.  If black can see the mate coming, then why not anticipate it in some other fashion.  Sacking the queen doesn't even really buy time.

I was going to say that -- if he doesn't see the pin and mate coming, he just moves Kb7 right away.  But as a practical issue he probably doesn't chuck the queen in there regardless; he resigns or just plays the shorter 4 move mate if he feels like letting his opponent play it out.  The delaying sacrifice only gets played because it's a puzzle and the "mate in X moves" has to include all such time-wasters.

@ slowhare -- previous move ... Rf2 thinking to cause the queen some issues?  Since if QxR it's a back-ranker for the black queen.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #100

Mathematics

nice

Post your reply: