Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

12/15/2012 - Mate in 5

• 21 months ago · Quote · #201

abhbha

I cant understand  this puzzle, i think this is not mate,

• 21 months ago · Quote · #202

MefromCali

stephen_33  

Thank you for that. I could never have figured that out.

What sort of rating would you be at to get it in the first go without much trial and error?

Is there an answer to a question like this.  Who could figure some like this out and to sacrifice a rook to do it!

• 21 months ago · Quote · #203

stephen_33

MefromCali wrote:

stephen_33  

Thank you for that. I could never have figured that out.

What sort of rating would you be at to get it in the first go without much trial and error?

Is there an answer to a question like this.  Who could figure some like this out and to sacrifice a rook to do it!

Not entirely certain what it is you're thanking me for MefromCali but I'll assume it's my post #172 giving my solution to the 2...Kf6 variation(?) It took me a little while to figure all of that out but as for finding the 13-move mating solution-that was beyond me & was only found by a chess engine in the end.
    So to answer your question, nobody worked it out on this site as far as I know & there are some very good & highly rated players who visit this forum. 

• 21 months ago · Quote · #204

Yereslov

Most players don't need to think thirteen moves ahead. When you know a certain position leads to a loss, you play the best move you can.

Bd4 was obvious. The rest was forced. All you are doing is throwing pieces away to delay mate.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #205

shengyi

Forced mate.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #206

piscivore

The point of a "mate in X" is that there is a mate in X moves, not more or less.  These are not games, they are compositions using the rules of chess, more often used in struggles between two players or teams of players, to create an artistic effect--or, more so in the daily puzzles here, to demonstrate some tactical motif.  If there is not a mate in X, then the problem is "cooked"--ruined by unintended moves not anticipated by the composer.  Bd4, then Qxd4 after capturing that bishop, was what I suspect the composer of this one missed--a defense against mate along the diagonal. 

• 21 months ago · Quote · #207

stm01

k

• 21 months ago · Quote · #208

Newba

There is NO mate in 5.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #209

Newba

PeaceRequiresAnarchy wrote:
    Bryan681972 wrote:

What the heck is this?  After the several hours long delay, this is what you come up with?  Come on.

I know it's a free service, but yeah you have to wonder why they do such a poor job when it would be so easy for them to do it much better.

Maybe the daily puzzle person is just trying to get as many comments as possible. I have noticed that the puzzles generally get more comments whenever there is something really stupid that people want to point out, like the fact that this is not a mate in 4.

HAHAH good point, fella.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #210

henny45

give us a hard one!

• 21 months ago · Quote · #211

Ocky

Nice

• 21 months ago · Quote · #212

henny45

Cool

• 20 months ago · Quote · #213

bambithegambi

Is the puzzle broken?It says "You have solved this problem!" after white's 4th move.At that point, black can do 4. Bd4, 5.c3 x d4, 5.Qb6 x d4, and no mate!Or is it just me?

• 20 months ago · Quote · #214

BryanCFB

bambithegambi wrote:

Is the puzzle broken?It says "You have solved this problem!" after white's 4th move.At that point, black can do 4. Bd4, 5.c3 x d4, 5.Qb6 x d4, and no mate!Or is it just me?

Yes.  You are correct.  The puzzle should be titled "Mate in 13".  Check out post #190 for the correct solution with a diagram.  You can use different move orders to get to the solution, but everything is pretty much forced.  Interestingly enough, this puzzle was originally titled "Mate in 4" and then changed to "Mate in 5, which is still wrong!

Post your reply: