Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

12/27/2013 - Incredibly Exciting Forced Mate

• 20 months ago · Quote · #221

BryanCFB

guru200773 wrote:
    Bryan681972 wrote:
    guru200773 wrote:

Beautiful puzzle. This is my analysis of the puzzle.

I actually found the puzzle variation simpler due to white's focusing on the extremely weak e6 square.  Only the third move, creating interference between black's queen and that weak e6 square, was a challenge.  I found the 1...Kxf7 variation more difficult because the focus was on multiple squares, with checkmate occuring on different squares depending on black's third move.

And just to note, as was referenced in earlier comments, if 1...Kd8 2. Rxb7 Nf6 3. Bg5 Ra7 4. Rxa7 Qd4, stronger than 5. Nxd4 is 5. Rxd4 exd4 6. Ne5, mating a move quicker than your variation. 

Your variation for 2.Rxb7 is also leads to mate in 8 not at 7  1. Bxf7+ Kd8 2.Rxd7 Nf6 3.Bg5 Ra7 4.Rxa7 Qd4 5. Rxd4 exd4 6.Ne5 h6 7.Rxe7+ Bxe7 8.Qxe7#. Thanks for ur kind comments

You're missing after 6. Ne5 h6 the move which was the threat you pointed out in your 5. Nxd4 variation, which is 7. Nxc6#.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #222

guru200773

@Bryan681972

Thanks for spoting out my error.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #223

BryanCFB

citizenoftheworld91 wrote:
    Bryan681972 wrote:
    Bobbarooski wrote:

Puzzles like this one show me that my chess improvement journey is going to be a long one.  I was completely lost after the first move.

Don't get down on yourself if you were completely lost after the first move.  I also lost my way after the first move.

I for one had trouble with the first move because I couldn't see why black's king wouldn't capture white's bishop. But once I ventured with 1. Bxf7+ and black's reply was 1... Kd8, the 2nd move was pretty obvious and easy for me: white had a checkmate with knight reaching e6 which was completely undefended/undefendeable at that point, hence 2. Ng5.

But as I said, I had most trouble with the alternative checkmate lines which I had to explore to make sense of black's 1st reply in the proposed solution rather than 1... Kxf7.

I didn't really calculate either black response to 1. Bxf7+, but it just looked like the correct first move in that position.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #224

guru200773

Bryan681972 wrote:
    Bobbarooski wrote:an

Puzzles like this one show me that my chess improvement journey is going to be a long one.  I was completely lost after the first move.

Don't get down on yourself if you were completely lost after the first move.  I also lost my way after the first move.  More important is whether or not you understand what happened after reviewing the puzzle.  Try to follow the instructive comments, especially the diagrams, as they are a great help in understanding the puzzle.  That is where your improvement from solving these puzzles will come from.  I prefer the discussions in the comments section way more than attempting to solve the puzzle because the discussion is where the true instruction comes from.

Well said Bryan. Ur kind movitation inspires and gives confidence to the beginers like me. Thanks :)

• 20 months ago · Quote · #225

RG1951

What frustrates me about these puzzles is that they do not appear quite often to be from actual games. Here, for his third move, we are asked to accept that white played (or should play) rook to d5. Would not any sensible player play bishop on f7 takes Queen on c4 and worry about forcing the win afterwards? Or have I missed something? Come to think of it, why would black pay Qc4 for his second move? I pose these questions at the risk of being made to look silly.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #226

citizenoftheworld91

RG1951 wrote:

What frustrates me about these puzzles is that they do not appear quite often to be from actual games. Here, for his third move, we are asked to accept that white played (or should play) rook to d5. Would not any sensible player play bishop on f7 takes Queen on c4 and worry about forcing the win afterwards? Or have I missed something? Come to think of it, why would black pay Qc4 for his second move? I pose these questions at the risk of being made to look silly.

For your 2nd wonderment, Qc4 is played as a last resort of defending the e6 square where the knight at g5 is going next for the mate. If i'm not mistaken, any other move by black leads to Ne6# immediately thereafter.

For your 1st point, well white's 2nd move (Ng5) was a step leading to Ne6#, so it was pretty obvious that after 2... Qc4, white only needs to block black's threat to e6 to finish it off, hence 3. Rd5. Any sensible player would go for the direct win. If you play 3. Bxc4, it implies that you did not have the mate in sight and that 2. Ng5 was merely a lucky coincidence/guess.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #227

RG1951

citizenoftheworld91,    

Thank you for your analysis, but I suspect that the great majority of players in an actual game would not even look for such a finishing combination, never mind see it. I further believe that, if they were offered the Queen take, most would jump at it. Thank you again.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #228

GenerousJack

The third Move is so stupid

• 20 months ago · Quote · #229

GenerousJack

The third Move is so stupid

• 20 months ago · Quote · #230

GenerousJack

Wasnt it much better to take the queen

• 20 months ago · Quote · #231

citizenoftheworld91

GenerousJack wrote:

Wasnt it much better to take the queen

Taking the queen with the bishop means that the next step (Ne6) is no longer mate. So unless infinity is less than 10, the answer is no, it wasn't better to take the queen.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #232

ERABFE

これは難しい

• 20 months ago · Quote · #233

Tomulous

black would have lasted longer if 1...Kxf7.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #234

Tomulous

nevermind...there are three possible outcomes that lead to checkmate in 5 moves.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #235

citizenoftheworld91

After 2. Rb7, black replies with 2. ... Nf6 protecting the d7 square and averting the mate.

• 17 months ago · Quote · #236

gansubk

@Hlrhaadi. Nothing is "killed" in chess - just captured..

• 17 months ago · Quote · #237

Juncedan

ishan16494 wrote:
    snake_babu wrote:

Can anyone please explain me why nit 2.. K*f7?

got it. Thank you Ishan16494

• 9 months ago · Quote · #238

sicheng

It could have been done in less moves

• 9 months ago · Quote · #239

Jacob30

Tomulous wrote:

nevermind...there are three possible outcomes that lead to checkmate in 5 moves.

You can only move once per turn so there is only one choice- the move that you make.

• 9 months ago · Quote · #240

BryanCFB

sicheng wrote:

It could have been done in less moves

Not by force it couldn't.  Only if black cooperates.

Post your reply: