• 3 years ago · Quote · #105

oren300

good one

• 3 years ago · Quote · #106

saksipotku

IncrediBill wrote:
    talerin wrote:
    IncrediBill wrote:

I am not sure why Black would capture the White Queen, other than that it is a tantalizing piece.  Black would be far better off to have moved away from the Queen than to have captured it.  This puzzle should really be called Mate in 7.

I guess that's the reason they didn't call it Mate in 5 in the first place.

True.  But the real issue is that Black is not making the 100% best moves.  Whether the Puzzle is called Mate in 5, Mate in 7 or any other ambiguous title,  Black still has to make the best moves possible in order to stave off Mate as long as possible.

I completely disagree. 1.Qxc6+ was easy to guess, but if black had played 1...Kb8??, then white, or actually rather the solver, would not have had to prove that he had calculated the only critical continuation. He would only have needed to prove that he has knowledge of earlier daily puzzles and thus sacrificed his queen. I currently went "wow, is it really Tuesday today" after clicking on the solution-button (yes, I coudln't think of black getting mated after his king "escapes" to d4.) However, if the continuation had been 1...Kb8, then I would probably have gone "have daily puzzles really subsided to the unrevised, computer-like level of the worst tactics trainer problems?"

However, I do agree with talerin - they couldn't call this a mate in five and have black take white's queen. That is not to say that the puzzle would have been good with a "mate in 7" title and 1...Kb8 - as a matter of fact, it would have been an utterly base-level puzzle then with 1...Kb8 and a unacceptably misleading puzzle after 1...Kxc6. However, as it is, the puzzle was wonderful, beautiful, and really instructive.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #107

neeneeboo

Easy

• 3 years ago · Quote · #108

Chris_Coffey

I hate sac'ing my lady.  But after that, it was smooth sailin'.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #109

pastakinglegend

IncrediBill wrote:

I am not sure why Black would capture the White Queen, other than that it is a tantalizing piece.  Black would be far better off to have moved away from the Queen than to have captured it.  This puzzle should really be called Mate in 7.

I agree

• 3 years ago · Quote · #110

glsmith

Thanks I stumbled through it! great training!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #111

mkaalam

Solved....oh!....nice job.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #112

amtch

TO DAILY PUZZLES - PLEASE, DON´T LOW THE LEVEL OF THE DAILY PUZZLESKiss

• 3 years ago · Quote · #113

Wicked666

aww,i needed help :(

• 3 years ago · Quote · #114

ReyRambler1960

Very good one.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #115

Chester20

Good Puzzle

• 3 years ago · Quote · #116

nomopawns

Variety is the spice of life, good puzzle though.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #117

cfrench49

This was a fun puzzle, thanks much.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #118

Oceanwalker

hmmm...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #119

xray

very interesting one and thanks again to Incredibill for his good work on this one.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #120

elbowgrease

Kasparian played this as white

Post your reply: