Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

1/4/2014 - Taimanov - Szabo, Zurich 1953

• 10 months ago · Quote · #181

guitarzan

My hat is off to those who found this one, "Easy".

That was one of the toughest I've seen here. 10th page Tongue Out.

• 10 months ago · Quote · #182

BryanCFB

elderofnight wrote:

This game is not only a good example of checkmate, but also shows that promoting a pawn is not always the best move.

It is black's mistake in 1st move that makes the checkmate possible. 

Bishop to E8 would have been a better move for black.

If 1...Be8, then how does black respond to 2. Rc8?

• 10 months ago · Quote · #183

BryanCFB

Anarchessism wrote:

When posting puzzles derived from real games, I wish chess.com would note who is actually playing which side and whether the move is as played or arose after analysis. In this case, the listing implies that it's a move played by Mark Taimanov, instead of an analysis of a position that arose for Laszlo Szabo (who was playing black). After Taimanov's move 48. Qd7, Szabo played e1=Q+ and the game was drawn three moves later.

Witholding certain information can only add to the challenge of solving the puzzle, but what is entirely unnecessary is reversing colors to avoid a black to play puzzle.  Nonsensical!

• 10 months ago · Quote · #184

BryanCFB

diamondpawn1 wrote:

Why promote a pawn to a queen if you dont use it?

After 1. Nf5 black was lost anyway, so since it really didn't matter what black played, black decided to gain material by queening, and that move probably held out the longest.  Even though black's newly promoted queen never moved, it did alter white's follow up plan.

• 10 months ago · Quote · #185

Ironboy7

easy piecy lemon squicy

• 10 months ago · Quote · #186

BryanCFB

several variations if 1...Be8 2. Rc8

• 10 months ago · Quote · #187

jracarus

:)i love it

• 10 months ago · Quote · #188

pawanseerwani_1

Nice puzzle :) 

• 10 months ago · Quote · #189

pawanseerwani_1

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 10 months ago · Quote · #190

Samer-Syr

great

• 10 months ago · Quote · #191

kpc72

Struggled with that one :(

• 10 months ago · Quote · #192

birurajopadhyaya

last Tongue Out

• 10 months ago · Quote · #193

SaiKrishna_K

good

• 10 months ago · Quote · #194

CLIMBINGBIRD

wowTongue Out

• 10 months ago · Quote · #195

citizenoftheworld91

Tough one!

• 10 months ago · Quote · #196

gregorylf

Curious if black plays 1...Qf3+ right away. After 2 QxQ e1=Q the knight is pinned. But, 3 Rc8+ Kh7 4 Qb8 should do it.

• 9 months ago · Quote · #197

tingtong99

Nice Puzzle!!

Cool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Cool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Cool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Cool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Cool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

Smile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Smile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Smile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Smile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Smile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

Wink. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Wink. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Wink. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Wink. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Wink. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #198

Juncedan

White could have matted with 5. Qf8 But I suppose the game was timed and the mate here is nice too

• 6 months ago · Quote · #199

BryanCFB

Juncedan wrote:

White could have matted with 5. Qf8 But I suppose the game was timed and the mate here is nice too

Not quite, because white is in check.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #200

Juncedan

BryanCFB wrote:
    Juncedan wrote:

Not quite, because white is in check.

Surprised

Post your reply: