• 20 months ago · Quote · #141

isaacthebird

easy

• 20 months ago · Quote · #142

whitechocotreat

briansladovich wrote:
    dufferps wrote:
    briansladovich wrote:

My first instinct was to move the pawn to g7 but, this wouldn't be mate in two.

That was the first thing I looked at also, but it was pretty obvious that the black queen could check on the next move and check repeatedly from then on.  So (this being a puzzle),  I immediately focused on the only check move available to white at that point.  It was a sacrifice (not to be rejected off-hand when doing a puzzle), and the power of the next move was immediately evident.  Black is forced to capture the rook, and put his king in a corner, and an easy move by the white king discovers a check and blocks the black king's only escape square.  Sweet!

Nice summary, dufferps. The power of hindsight ! Fools rush in and all that.

It sounds like dufferps' suggestion here is that black would take a draw after g7; However, g7 is actually losing and not drawing. After g7, Qb6+. The king has to protect the rook so Kg5. Then black plays Qxh6, sacrificing the queen and the king takes back on h6. If you look at that position, you'll see that white can not stop both of blacks pawns on the e and a file. Black will push both of those pawns and the white bishop can only stop one of them. Black will queen one of those pawns and white loses.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #143

leonwool

g7 would be very ugly. A kind of self blockade, punished not by perpetual but by ..Qxh6 and an embarrassing loss.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #144

hiroshiyo3

LE COMMENT

• 20 months ago · Quote · #145

jlmolgar

First

• 20 months ago · Quote · #146

Mohit_Royals

it is very easy

Laughing

• 20 months ago · Quote · #147

maacos

very simpleSmile

• 20 months ago · Quote · #148

briansladovich

whitechocotreat wrote:
    briansladovich wrote:
    dufferps wrote:
    briansladovich wrote:

My first instinct was to move the pawn to g7 but, this wouldn't be mate in two.

That was the first thing I looked at also, but it was pretty obvious that the black queen could check on the next move and check repeatedly from then on.  So (this being a puzzle),  I immediately focused on the only check move available to white at that point.  It was a sacrifice (not to be rejected off-hand when doing a puzzle), and the power of the next move was immediately evident.  Black is forced to capture the rook, and put his king in a corner, and an easy move by the white king discovers a check and blocks the black king's only escape square.  Sweet!

Nice summary, dufferps. The power of hindsight ! Fools rush in and all that.

It sounds like dufferps' suggestion here is that black would take a draw after g7; However, g7 is actually losing and not drawing. After g7, Qb6+. The king has to protect the rook so Kg5. Then black plays Qxh6, sacrificing the queen and the king takes back on h6. If you look at that position, you'll see that white can not stop both of blacks pawns on the e and a file. Black will push both of those pawns and the white bishop can only stop one of them. Black will queen one of those pawns and white loses.

Cool Nice black queen sac. Black regains queen. White resigns. You are correct !

Edit:  Perhaps a whole new puzzle in the making.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #149

Shva

i found it pretty easy to figure out. wasnt hard. Cool

• 20 months ago · Quote · #150

abekiroz

sugar

• 20 months ago · Quote · #151

Shva

same with the other one pretty simple. :)

• 20 months ago · Quote · #152

briansladovich

leonwool wrote:

g7 would be very ugly. A kind of self blockade, punished not by perpetual but by ..Qxh6 and an embarrassing loss.

Cool You are correct !

• 20 months ago · Quote · #153

knightofcrashtest

epic

• 20 months ago · Quote · #154

George32027

nice

• 20 months ago · Quote · #155

cajmrn

Nice :)

• 20 months ago · Quote · #156

beedissle

Sweet discovery mate!!!

• 20 months ago · Quote · #157

tanmay_chakrabarti

good one indeed.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #158

suleymanchess

)

• 20 months ago · Quote · #159

hi12345hi

What do the letters mean?

• 20 months ago · Quote · #160

elliotjanzen

great problem - really helped tune my instincts, but I like to see many steps on the front page!

Post your reply: