Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

2/10/2012 - Mate in 5

• 3 years ago · Quote · #101

ANason21

arwbqb wrote:

on move #2 black Q to c7 is way better than sacrificing it for nothing...might not have prevented checkmate but still way better

WRONG!  2...Qc7 fails to both Qa8+ and Qb5+.  Nice try though.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #102

ReyRambler1960

Cute.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #103

Azkadaz

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #104

Jonesateer

Yea that was a good one!  We need more like this one!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #105

BoolyaB

choletta!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #106

ANason21

TheCabal wrote:
    Damn! Had no problems with all the moves except the first one. Can someone explain it please? =) (luring the queen one diagonal square away with my rook... why?)

Simple (or not so simple) removing the defender tactic.  This is necessary so that the Queen no longer defends the second rank, and pushing the pawn to e6 threatens mate on d7.  After the pawn move, black has too much too defend, and to prolong the game black MUST sacrifice his Queen.  All other moves fail to faster mates: if the black Queen moves off the back rank without giving check, white can always force the Queen sacrifice on the next move by Qa8+ (or Qb5+, or a whole host of other moves depending on where black puts the Queen); and if the Queen stays on the back rank, Qd7 will be at least check, with mate to follow on the next move.  Of course, if black decides to defend the second rank with a rook, Qc6+ with another mate in two.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #107

ANason21

aapseun wrote:

Think I have found a stronger 1st move RB7!! Black is helpless after that, even after 1 ND6 is all over as the E-file will open with devastating effect.

Rb7?! is met by ...Qxb7! Qxb7 Rxg5, when White is certainly better, but Black has chances that he never should have had!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #108

ANason21

c6er wrote:

What's with black Queen. Take the Knight if you must sacrafice.

When did the Queen ever have a chance to sacrifice itself for the Knight?  Read through the comments; it is perfectly understandable, and Qxg3+ was forced.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #109

Azkadaz

I take my previous comment back about this being a terrible puzzle. I decided to sit down and analyze it, and what looked like a simply ridiculous game actually turned out to be an engaging, assertive puzzle. This was not passive like I originally thought, but every move was essentially forced. Bravo for making me reach an epiphany.
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #110

ANason21

knightofcrashtest wrote:
    waffllemaster wrote:

Err... I guess the title did say mate in 5, which I missed... but seriously moves like Nd6+ and Rc7 (which I tried) win easily.  I don't think I'd ever find the pretty (and unnecessary) rook sac in a real game.

I know the point is to learn a pattern... I guess in that repect the puzzle is ok.

Mate in five either way. I tested it.

Oh, well if YOU tested it, then I guess it's true...oh, wait.  You aren't even rated 1200.  Any chance you missed a variation?  If you don't understand Qxg3+, then I'd say the likelihood is high.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #111

ANason21

RioBRChess wrote:

First, I mean, I didn't understand the first move:  Why not 1. e6?  And we would have the same situation after 2. e6, right?

Nope.  After 1. e6, the Black Queen is still defending the second rank, so White isn't threatening anything and black has freedom of movement.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #112

chessica

sweet

• 3 years ago · Quote · #113

Zibeyda94

It is a difficult puzzleWink

• 3 years ago · Quote · #114

ANason21

Azkadaz wrote:

I take my previous comment back about this being a terrible puzzle. I decided to sit down and analyze it, and what looked like a simply ridiculous game actually turned out to be an engaging, assertive puzzle. This was not passive like I originally thought, but every move was essentially forced. Bravo for making me reach an epiphany.

Excellent analysis.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #115

Churrasqueira

• 3 years ago · Quote · #116

DaveChadwick

That is a cool puzzle! I like how just when you think you are in the clear, the pawn move can stick ya. 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #117

Djazbin

Great finish... so many ways to procede with this advantage... but gotta be fast!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #118

cheshunt

I agree with freebie and 123UncleRucus, surely if Black Queen moved to C7 instead of the seemingly stupid an pointless move of to G3 thus being taken, it would be a lot harder and slower for white to Cmate, or am I missing something too?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #119

GMchessmaster

Smile

• 3 years ago · Quote · #120

GMchessmaster

Smile

Post your reply: