Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

2/10/2012 - Mate in 5

• 2 years ago · Quote · #141

justinwr092

Frikkin hard.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #142

Philip-B

freebie wrote:

Can someone please tell me why black queen couldn't defend by moving to C7 on move #2?

Qb5+.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #143

BryanCFB

Very interesting how one white rook and the white knight, which is actually threatening a check, have absolutely nothing to due with the puzzle solution.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #144

NGC_1947

Azkadaz wrote:

I take my previous comment back about this being a terrible puzzle. I decided to sit down and analyze it, and what looked like a simply ridiculous game actually turned out to be an engaging, assertive puzzle. This was not passive like I originally thought, but every move was essentially forced. Bravo for making me reach an epiphany.

Wouldn't it be great if Chess.com gave such an analysis after the puzzle?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #145

BryanCFB

enimche wrote:

Noob question - it seems the idea of a puzzle is that every move is forced, correct? If so I must be failing to see why certain moves are forced, unless the eventual other check mates were 3 - 4 moves deep... in which case, alternative solutions to puzzles? 

Incorrect.  Every move does not have to be forced in puzzles, or chess in general.  That is a strong factor in the beauty of chess and a strong factor in the difficulty of mastering the game.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #146

vijayakumarlazarus

good one

• 2 years ago · Quote · #147

The_Chess_Ninja

its okay

• 2 years ago · Quote · #148

stephen_33

Quite a brain-teaser with enough variations to keep you interested long after solving. The only move that spoils it is Qxg3-just seems desperate. (I still think last Saturday's one was the best I've seen)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #149

BryanCFB

milray101 wrote:

but why not fxg3 instead of hxg3, that opens the rook support as well...

3. fxg3 allows 3...Bc5+.  If 4. Kh1 or 4. Kg2 then 4...Rf6 blocks the f-file, preventing a white checkmate on the next move.  If 4. Qxc5 then 4...Rf6 or 4...Rxg5, prevents the immediate checkmate.  If my analysis is incorrect, please feel free to correct me. Thanks.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #150

Jeffmon

@albatross21- It seems your starting position is from move 2 in the puzzle given. That would be why Houdini found a mate in 4. But I find it mildly interesting Houdini would choose Bd6 over Be7. I wonder which move is actually better in hoping white won't find Qa8.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #151

DoNotUnderestimate

WOW!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #152

bobhrn

two tries,good one

• 2 years ago · Quote · #153

Frankdawg

Interesting puzzle however I don't see many people thinking out a position like that so much. 1.Rb8+ is an interesting deflection of the queen however 1.Qa8+ is how I would play that position in any game unless I had an extremely long time to think about it.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #154

freebie

uksofiane wrote:
    freebie wrote:

Can someone please tell me why black queen couldn't defend by moving to C7 on move #2?

Mate in four

white will play 3.Qa8 - Qd7 4. Qxd7

Thanks.  Gotta have coffee before I do these!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #155

massimoforti

freebie wrote:

probably because Nd6 on next move would give checkmate to black.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #156

dr3269

eh could be a better puzzle.... the staff has done betterUndecided

• 2 years ago · Quote · #157

BryanCFB

arwbqb wrote:

on fmrko26's puzzle rather than black moving the bishop black should have moved the queen to f5, white is down pieces and can't afford the trade, if white moves away from the trade the black rook to a1 will put too much pressure on the white king

Your Ra1 defense is a clever idea, but 1...Qf5 2. Qh4 Ra1 leaves black's back rank undefended and causes black a series of problems.  Black might have to allow a perpetual check draw or could potentially lose the queen or rook in certain lines.  The simplest for white may be 3. Qd8+ Kg7 4. Qe7+ Kh6 (to avoid perpetual check) 5. Rxa1 Nxa1 6. Qa3 winning either the black bishop or knight.  Perhaps I am missing something or not seeing it through enough, and black can still win. 

As a result of the above, even though it looks risky, it looks like black's best defense is 1...g5, doubly holding the key f7 square and, very importantly, maintaining back rank coverage.  2. Qxe4 still leaves black up a whole piece.  Perhaps white's best is 2. Qf6, keeping control of the f-file.  1...g5, while still hard very hard for black, looks like the only winning chance on 1. Qf4.

White could try 1...Qf5 2. Qh4 Qh5, but then white can either repeat the position with 3. Qf4 or play 3. Qf6 or 3. Qe7, forcing g5 anyway.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #158

JCRchess

Terrific ..

• 2 years ago · Quote · #159

briansladovich

Cool Unusual

• 2 years ago · Quote · #160

novzki41

Post your reply: