Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

2/15/2013 - Bring It On

• 23 months ago · Quote · #61

dufferps

This was a clear forced sequence that I didn't see from start to finish at the outset, but quickly became obvious.  And the first move was apparently (to me) the best move even though I didn't see the great follow-up.

I chose 1.Rb8+ because it was the best move I saw at that point, breaking the "Mexican standoff" and at least allowing a trade of rooks.  Once black played 1....Kxb8 and put his king on the wide-open b file, the next move, (2.Rb1+) became obviously even better than 2.Qxd7. because it prevented the King's escape to b2.  Black's helpless response, sacrificing his queen to delay the checkmate confirmed it and made the line obvious.

NOW that the smoke has cleared. I realize that I overlooked another possible initial move, one that I might have made had I seen it. I might have moved 1.Rxa7.  But analyzing that (and the reasons for black responding with 1....Kd8) would have probably shown me the virtue of 1.Rb8+ and the whole continuation forcing checkmate.

Fun puzzle, but not as instructive for me as yesterday's endgame problem where the trick was to force my opponent to block his king's direct route to prevention of my pawn promotion.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #62

dufferps

Sicilian_Smaug wrote:

I first thought I had to do a material gaining fork, but the mate was more obvious.

Yes, I spent a lot of time looking for a knight move or sequence that would "pay off."  It was when I gave up on that that I decided on the initial Rook sacrifice.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #63

RookPFeynman

Nice and easy!

• 23 months ago · Quote · #64

knursmurs

that was easy, even for me. first i placed the rookie f on b1. Like InterracialMarriage

Then i realized that the king could escape on d8 and i understood the motives of that puzzle. It showed me that losing a rookie in this situation is necessary to keep up pressure and capture the king so that the second rookie could come in action to finaly open the door for the queen. Minimize the possible moves of your opponent.

Im happy, because there are many things i can learn on this page and maybe sooner or later i become a better player to beat my stepfather. I think he is about 1700 or something like that.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #65

hieutrung

Done.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #66

waynedickinson2

people seem to forget about pieces that are far away.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #67

SruthiPappa

nice one.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #68

The_Impaller

Haven't solved it yet, but what about Rook to A7 followed by Queen to A8? Checkmate I thought.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #69

The_Impaller

Solved - the actual solution is much more long-winded then mine I think.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #70

SruthiPappa

nice one.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #71

mvallejo70

Done.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #72

DelmarvaJoe

practical practice like notes on the keyboard being heard

• 23 months ago · Quote · #73

vanhafford

Rook Sacrifice leading to checkmate administered by the Queen at a8.  Thanks for the lesson.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #74

carlosmadura

easy

• 23 months ago · Quote · #75

ThutmoseIII

Even though I solved the puzzle, there is an inner emptiness in my soul. I am not on the first page. One day maybe but not now. I bow my head in quiet resignation.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #76

Atomic_Rift

Got it on my first shot! Yippee!

• 23 months ago · Quote · #77

mponcardas94

mezeeeng

• 23 months ago · Quote · #78

Atomic_Rift

Yes it was! :)

• 23 months ago · Quote · #79

zidcfii

best one in a while!