• 3 years ago · Quote · #62

dharmaraj_guru

good one, but easy

• 3 years ago · Quote · #63

ZacWilson

Beautiful double sac to expose King.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #64

Gromit

Easy when you know there is a mate ...  but how many people would even think there was a mate on in this position in an actual game?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #65

dufferps

Knowing it was "mate in 6" really helped -  Just knowing it was a puzzle with a possible mate helped.  I got it with no errors, but I'm sure I would not have gotten it in a real game.

Knowing it would be checkmate win for white, I knew every move had to be a check.  So I sacrificed my rook and then my bishop right off. Then on move 5, Nf4+ was clearly better than sacrificing my one remaining Rook

In a way, recognizing that the final Rh5 was checkmate was one of the more difficult parts of the puzzle.  It took a second careful look to see that all black king's escape squares were blocked.

By the way, reviewing the puzzle, I note that Black could have moved
    5. ... Kg5, but my rook was protected at h5 by the knight, so 6. Rh5 would have been checkmate anyway.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #66

castle_mate

Nice.  Cool

• 3 years ago · Quote · #67

inkeespots

I really liked that open board chackmate. Rare.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #68

gerfinn

Whew, my finger is tired.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #69

RenataCFC

Gromit wrote:

Easy when you know there is a mate ...  but how many people would even think there was a mate on in this position in an actual game?

Probably anyone who got into this position in the first place, given that white is missing his queen. :)  The mate must have been seen and the queen sacrificed already to set it up, set out deliberately as a trap, or just neglected, knowing it didn't matter.

Really the only hard thing about seeing this mate in a game as given (not having deliberately set it up this way in the first place) is that there were two sacrifices, which is a pretty strong barrier to imagination.  It was so incredibly forcing, though, and the followup with the second rook so evident, that it wasn't actually at all intimidating to calculate.  So I could see a fair number of people playing this correctly if it was handed to them as a unspecified "interesting position" or some such, maybe even with the black queen off the board to take away that clue.

As a Friday puzzle, it was a bit disappointingly easy, if pretty.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #70

szammie

Cool.

SZ.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #71

noslen1966

We are thankful for having chess.com. We are overseas filipino workers here in Saudi Arabia. Playing  chess on-line after work is our one way to ease our homesickness. I love also solving your daily puzzles...but sad to say, puzzle which are mate in 2 or 3 moves are not interesting. We are looking for a puzzle that really blow one's mind, puzzle mate in 5 or more moves are much bette. Thank you & more power!                 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #72

deepak64

For me it is a difficult puzzle.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #73

tkeesee654

cool p

• 3 years ago · Quote · #74

resa1234

6. Rh5#

• 3 years ago · Quote · #75

saqlain5699

wow ..

• 3 years ago · Quote · #76

ibagaza_oishii

• 3 years ago · Quote · #77

pathwinder14

I like these longer 6 move mate puzzles.  They involve a little more of the mid-game thinking.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #78

shahronakm

Good one.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #79

SolomeoParado

Nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #80

sco

i have solved it just by sacrifising everything i could

Post your reply: