Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

2/18/2013 - Mate in 2

• 17 months ago · #261

Gil-Gandel

Demidjinn wrote:

I think actually he was obliged to. A part of the puzzle (an actual puzzle that starts with an empty board :P It won a competition for miniatures!!) is that the game is played at a time when you could force a kingmove (of your choice) if your opponent makes an illigal move.

It was a guy called L. A. Munck in Skakbladet, back in 1906, problem as in my previous post. AIUI the laws have never mandated that the offender had to move as the opponent directed, only that he had to make a King move. That's why you occasionally saw the very short game 1. e4, d5; 2. exd5, Qxd5; 3. (White accidentally touches a piece he cannot move) Ke2, Qe4#. Laughing

• 17 months ago · #262

ebsalice

I don't see chess pieces. I just see chess board!!

• 17 months ago · #263

sohrab8

i can't see the puzzle!!

• 17 months ago · #264

eleanor-the-great

Where did the pieces go?

• 17 months ago · #265

ReyRambler1960

Where are the pieces?

• 17 months ago · #266

bondegnasker

Gil-Gandel wrote:
    tester71 wrote:

I never realized there's a mate in two on an empty board...

There is! The setup goes like this:

Black has removed his King from the board when he should not have done so. He volunteers to make amends by replacing his King where it was, and then moving as White directs. White accepts and then (after Black has moved) mates in two.

Solution: White was castling Queenside when Black removed his King from b3 (the empty board is a snapshot of the moment when all three pieces have been picked up). White completes castling and directs Black to play ...Ka2. It is then mate in two by 1. Rd3, Ka1; 2. Ra3#

Brilliant - thumbs up!

• 17 months ago · #267

Dead-Eye

PUT SOME FREAKIN PEICES ON THE BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 17 months ago · #268

RioBRChess

tester71 wrote:
    Gil-Gandel wrote:
    tester71 wrote:

I never realized there's a mate in two on an empty board...

There is! The setup goes like this:

Black has removed his King from the board when he should not have done so. He volunteers to make amends by replacing his King where it was, and then moving as White directs. White accepts and then (after Black has moved) mates in two.

Solution: White was castling Queenside when Black removed his King from b3 (the empty board is a snapshot of the moment when all three pieces have been picked up). White completes castling and directs Black to play ...Ka2. It is then mate in two by 1. Rd3, Ka1; 2. Ra3#

Brilliant - thumbs up!

Indeed, brilliant!

• 17 months ago · #269

ChessHorse2002

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 17 months ago · #270

kohai

Sorry about this :(

This forum topic has been locked.