Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

2/8/2014 - Out Of Luck

• 10 months ago · Quote · #261

janheinn

Bryan681972 wrote:
    janheinn wrote:

what happens if 4. ... Rd8 ?   that would eliminate the threat of the queen after Nf6. right?

Don't forget after 4...Rd8 that black's queen is hanging after 5. Rxh1.  That's the reason for 4. Nc3, to expose an attack on black's queen.

right, thanks

• 10 months ago · Quote · #262

ChameleonIASA

Can you describe me what happened in this puzzle, please?

• 10 months ago · Quote · #263

mebingmathew

what if black plays Rd8..... Then all the previous sacrifices in vain and black will have huge winning advantage 

• 10 months ago · Quote · #264

mebingmathew

oops sorry ,,you are right it unstobppable mate ,,,Rd8 impossible since its a check now.....

• 10 months ago · Quote · #265

vignesh001

this puzzle has a lot of flaws it is utter waste

• 10 months ago · Quote · #266

Shippen

I am beginning to wonder if some people actually understand the logic of chess, all these puzzles follow a logical process. The key to these puzzles is what you do on each move after black has moved not what black should have done but what white does in response. Only the first move usually is the only move and set up that way.

• 10 months ago · Quote · #267

SergioCampos

Shippen escribió:

I am beginning to wonder if some people actually understand the logic of chess, all these puzzles follow a logical process. The key to these puzzles is what you do on each move after black has moved not what black should have done but what white does in response. Only the first move usually is the only move and set up that way.

Good... That's it !

• 10 months ago · Quote · #268

kashers

In reply to RowdyRoddy saying: The Present:  Mate at e7 or d7 is unstoppable.  

What if black's next move is Nd7 takes the white knight on f6. In which case white's next move may be to check on c6 thereby securing the black rook on a8. Should the back king move to e7, the white queen would presumably then check again on b7. However, there is no mate here. Nor is there a perpetual check because the black knight (that recently took the previously checking white knight on f6) can return to d7.  The white queen can't make further progress without support from another piece, which naturally could happen, but is by no means certain. 

Hence, the reason I doubt the validity of a definitive solution to this puzzle. 

• 10 months ago · Quote · #269

BryanCFB

kashers wrote:

In reply to RowdyRoddy saying: The Present:  Mate at e7 or d7 is unstoppable.  

What if black's next move is Nd7 takes the white knight on f6. In which case white's next move may be to check on c6 thereby securing the black rook on a8. Should the back king move to e7, the white queen would presumably then check again on b7. However, there is no mate here. Nor is there a perpetual check because the black knight (that recently took the previously checking white knight on f6) can return to d7.  The white queen can't make further progress without support from another piece, which naturally could happen, but is by no means certain. 

Hence, the reason I doubt the validity of a definitive solution to this puzzle. 

But what if white takes back the knight with the pawn, 6. gxf6, threatening immediate checkmate with 7. Qe7#?

• 10 months ago · Quote · #270

RioBRChess

MesbahJavid wrote:

1...Qc1????????? retard move but creates very nice variation indeed!

1...Qd8! but still loses.

That was my point (sort of :-).

• 10 months ago · Quote · #271

RioBRChess

Bryan681972 wrote:
    RioBRChess wrote:

Thanks Roost1513.

But why not 1. ... Qd8 ?

1...Qd8 and black has lost a piece, right?

Black is already a Knight down.  Once Queens were traded, White's rooks and Black's rooks are equivalently in back rows.

Anyway, thanks for  replying.

• 10 months ago · Quote · #272

RioBRChess

Roost1513 wrote:
    RioBRChess wrote:

Thanks Roost1513.

But why not 1. ... Qd8 ?

Without extensive analysis (there are too many variations that I do not want to have to think of this late at night), I see two possible continuations - trading queens so that Black is even more of a disadvantage materially than the main line, or Qc5 to block the black queen in (Qb6 would be an option for Black, however). If I had to choose right away, I would go with trading queens. When the White rooks develop (Black wouldn't be able to get much done in this period), a strong attack would be underway. 

See above.  Black's condition *is* bad, but I am still not sure ... Qd8 would be a worse playing.

(You edited your analysis, right?)  Thanks again.

• 10 months ago · Quote · #273

BryanCFB

RioBRChess wrote:
    Bryan681972 wrote:
    RioBRChess wrote:

Thanks Roost1513.

But why not 1. ... Qd8 ?

1...Qd8 and black has lost a piece, right?

Black is already a Knight down.  Once Queens were traded, White's rooks and Black's rooks are equivalently in back rows.

Anyway, thanks for  replying.

Yes.  1...Qc1+ is just a failed attempt by black to regain/win material which would lead to a winning position.

• 10 months ago · Quote · #274

chapmanjjw

1st pg for me as well

• 10 months ago · Quote · #275

RioBRChess

Shippen wrote:

You got a point, except that I make my play thinking of which would be the best reply for Black.  

• 10 months ago · Quote · #276

Shippen

RioBRChess, yes in a normal game, whites first move on these puzzles are set up so that in general it's the only move that can be made then, black moves what do you do then, if black makes a weak move you play accordingly.

• 10 months ago · Quote · #277

kashers

Yes, I see that, Bryan. Well, I say that, but it took you to point it out to me. It's a shame, I guess, that the problem didn't go further by simply illustrating it. Thanks for doing so; it's finally clear to me.Embarassed

• 9 months ago · Quote · #278

Juncedan

done nd understood. As usual, clever sacrifice oa the aR

• 4 months ago · Quote · #279

eatherquake4

Good one!

Post your reply: