9398 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
Halp. I need an explanation of all the moves in this one in small words. Gutartas' variations might prove enlightening given four or five days of study, but then again maybe not.
1. Bh3 (stops Qxh2#) Bxh3
2. Rf2 (frees f1 because of 2..Bg2+) Bxh2 (still threatening Bg2+ and a later discovered check)
3. Rc3 (protects g3, now Bg2+ hangs the bishop, while before Bg2+ led to Qg3+ and mate) 3... Bf4 (still allows influence before the Knight has to move to e5, Bg2+ discovered check is still the threat)
4. Rxh3 Qxh3+ (self-explanatory, stops Bg2+)
5. Kg1 e3 (threatens winning a rook with check, the pawn is defended twice)
6. Rg2 (maintains protection of h2 from the queen) Qh4 (threatens Qe1#)
7. Nxe3 (stops the mate threat by allowing the block) Qe1+
8. Nf1 Ne5 (brings the Knight for f3+ to draw the King away from defense of the Knight)
9. Qc8 (sets up the eventual block/pin on h3, frees the pawn to take the Knight if it invades to e5)
9.. Be3+ 10. Kh2 (h1 hangs the knight with check, and protects the queen when it moves to h3)
10.. Qh4+ (taking the knight now leads to Qh3+ and then a discovered attack on the Black's queen once Rxg7+)
11. Qh3 Bf4+ (forces loss of the rook otherwise the King cant protect the White queen anymore)
12. Rg3 (blocking with the knight allows Ng4+, again forcing the King away from Queen protection) Bxg3+
13. Nxg3 Ng4+
14. Kg2 Ne3+
15. Kh2 Ng4+
16. Kg2 Ne3+ and so on and so on.
Deviating from this perpetual check allows either the loss of the Black queen due to the pin, or the White Knights invasion to f5 and then d6, when creating the passed pawns on the queenside causes more problems for black. Since black is stuck making perpetual check with the Knight, it's a draw.
Why not 7. Bxe7+
You mean Bxe3...Qxe3.
So not a draw.
It's hard to play for a draw.
Why not 1. .. Qxh3 ?!
1.. Qxh3 means the queen will be put in danger after Rf2 and Bxh2. The mating net isn't set up properly then.
Pretty sure this isn't a draw....Anyone care to work this out further?
Clearly White's first move has to avoid checkmate... Options being what?bishop to h3pawn to h3Anything else? I think King to g1 will result in a win for black...Having looked that over closely but that is my first hunch.What is black's next move if playing for a win?
Pawn to h3 loses to Bxh3, setting up pins and forks throughout
Want more chess puzzles? Want a tactics rating?Check out the Tactics Trainer and 10,000+ tactical puzzles!
how is this a draw withpawns on a4/a5
White has to deal with the black mating threats first before he can even address a4/a5.
Anyone who thinks this isn't a draw isn't seeing Black's threats properly.
why is this a draw?!
I do not get this puzzle at all
Was this from a practical game or just a puzzle?
This one is so far the hardest daily puzzle I have ever seen
Fantastic Game Saving. Nice. :)
I hope, that can help a bit
Thanks for attempting to explain, but I'm still scratching my head. It strikes me that even the way it's played out as you've shown, there could be a white pawn promotion, with white knight assistance. It's just over my head. But hey, an occasional puzzle like this is good! 2400 players are people too! LOL!
not able to make sense of it
This puzzle was very hard for me but I enjoyed the challenge!!!!!!
The puzzle ends with like half the game left.
move the rook to the right and you have checkmate
Pffffff began to see dubbel
Wow this is one tough Ice puzzle.
"Melik and Me with GM Melik Khachiyan and BrotherJosh!"
When is it worthwhile to become a chess master?
by reflectivist 4 minutes ago
Stuff Non-Chess Players Say
by winerkleiner 4 minutes ago
by Casual_Joe 5 minutes ago
Best iPhone Chess Apps?
by kinderchocolate 9 minutes ago
I began to loathe Chess 960 ...
by TheBigDecline 10 minutes ago
Our Prophylactic Move to keep kohai @ Chess.com little longer !
by LegoPirateSenior 11 minutes ago
Traxler thread, what happened to it?
by Mainline_Novelty 16 minutes ago
Systems for Black?
What happened to Josh Waitzkin?
by Allegretta 17 minutes ago
What are your chess-related goals for 2013?
by Fear_ItseIf 22 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2013 Chess.com