Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

3/10/2012 - White to Draw

• 3 years ago · Quote · #121

gtpro1

lol easy

• 3 years ago · Quote · #122

FredBatchelor

Easy Breezie. I would like to clarify this problem to everyone. ............

• 3 years ago · Quote · #123

stephen_33

Baffling !
    You've only got to read the posts on this from beginning to end (and some of us do) to realise how utterly bemused & confused most people are.  I managed to get about 3 moves right by playing tactically but I didn't understand the objective.

So white has to force a draw.  First principles then (copied from the Learn/Basic Rules section of this site):-
    1. The position reaches a stalemate where it is one player’s turn to move, but his king is NOT in check and yet he does not have another legal move
    2. The players may simply agree to a draw and stop playing
    3. There are not enough pieces on the board to force a checkmate (example: a king and a bishop vs. a king)
    4. A player declares a draw if the same exact position is repeated three times (though not necessarily three times in a row)
    5. Fifty consecutive moves have been played where neither player has moved a pawn or captured a piece.

So which of these applies when you get to the solution ? I just don't get it even after reading 'gutartas's analysis.
        Is this Chess.com's revenge for all the whining that goes on in this forum ?
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #124

ndskykng

stephen_33 wrote:
    Baffling !
    You've only got to read the posts on this from beginning to end (and some of us do) to realise how utterly bemused & confused most people are.  I managed to get about 3 moves right by playing tactically but I didn't understand the objective.

So white has to force a draw.  First principles then (copied from the Learn/Basic Rules section of this site):-
    The position reaches a stalemate where it is one player’s turn to move, but his king is NOT in check and yet he does not have another legal move The players may simply agree to a draw and stop playing There are not enough pieces on the board to force a checkmate (example: a king and a bishop vs. a king) A player declares a draw if the same exact position is repeated three times (though not necessarily three times in a row) Fifty consecutive moves have been played where neither player has moved a pawn or captured a piece.

So which of these applies when you get to the solution ? I just don't get it even after reading 'gutartas's analysis.
      Is this Chess.com's revenge for all the whining that goes on in this forum ?

I thought you said you read all the posts from beginning to end.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #125

StrategicPlay

I think in this case, 'draw' means escaping a checkmate. Well, a pretty hard and unexpected puzzle it is!
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #126

ne0218

???

• 3 years ago · Quote · #127

valientone

I think I like solving for Mate better.. Im Not a draw type player

• 3 years ago · Quote · #128

vanhafford

Thanks for the lesson!  A draw is worth 1/2 point!  Better than no point at all.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #129

MDOC777

I didn't get it right, but I can see the draw.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #130

MDOC777

Wilderboard wrote:

didnt read the title...was trying to find a way to mate...damn...

LOL... I did.  It pays.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #131

onlyswaraj

• 3 years ago · Quote · #132

RedAdom

White should win this position easily.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #133

domalius

Good puzzle, relatively difficult

• 3 years ago · Quote · #134

cfrench49

Tough one.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #135

The_Chess_Ninja

HARD

• 3 years ago · Quote · #136

donce83

A very difficult puzzle, i´m missed in second moveSmile

• 3 years ago · Quote · #137

wayne100

difficult

• 3 years ago · Quote · #138

Mathematics

wow:)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #139

melvinbluestone

The solution given is not very convincing. The problem is, after 1.Bh3 white doesn't threaten anything. So 1...Bxh3 (or 1...Qxh3) is not forced for black. For example, why not 1...Bxe2 followed maybe by a check Bf3+ or BxN? Here's a nice continuation:

• 3 years ago · Quote · #140

DynamicMoose

Ah, now I see why B-h3 was necessary. Qxh2 would have been a mate. Here I was trying to look for something for the white queen to do. 

Oops...

Post your reply: