15531 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
hard for me, but i solved it :)
how is it a draw ?
I hope, that can help a bit
1. Bh3 Bxh3 ( 1... Qxh3 2. Rf2 Be6 3. Rc3 Qh6 ) 2. Rf2 Bxh2 3. Rc3 ( 3. Rxh2 Qe1# ) 3... Bf4 ( 3... Bd6 4. Rxh3 Qxh3+ ) 4. Rxh3 Qxh3+ 5. Kg1 e3 ( 5... Qg3+ 6. Rg2 ( 6. Kf1 Qh3+ 7. Rg2 Qh1+ 8. Rg1 Qh3+ 9. Rg2 ) 6... Qe1# ) 6. Rg2 Qh4 7. Nxe3 Qe1+ 8. Nf1 Ne5 9. Qc8 Be3+ 10. Kh2 Qh4+ 11. Qh3 Bf4+ 12. Rg3 Bxg3+ 13. Nxg3 Ng4+ 14. Kg2 Ne3+ 15. Kh2 Ng4+ 16. Kg2 g5 17. Qxh4+ gxh4 18. Nf1 h3+ ( 18... f5 19. a6 bxa6 20. bxa6 ) 19. Kxh3 Ne5 20. a6 Nd7 21. axb7
I don't understand the reasoning behind 18. Nf1, taking it back to the edge of the board?
Why wouldn't you play 18. Nf5, threatening 19. Nd6 and forking both those pawns?
You are free to move any other. This is just a schematic study without computers analysis, to show a principal, what happens, if blacks avoids a draw
And you don't need computer analysis to tell you that moving a Knight to the edge of the board is a bad idea, unless you have a good reason. That's taught in beginners chess 101. You must have a reason for cutting your Knight's places to move in half so explain your rationale for 18. Nf1
Halp. I need an explanation of all the moves in this one in small words. Gutartas' variations might prove enlightening given four or five days of study, but then again maybe not.
sorry i was just testing something
I only know I know nothing
This was tough to do, tough to understand even with gutartas' analysis.
Want more chess puzzles? Want a tactics rating?Check out the Tactics Trainer and 10,000+ tactical puzzles!
how is this a draw withpawns on a4/a5
Cannot be a draw
Pretty sure this isn't a draw....Anyone care to work this out further?
Clearly White's first move has to avoid checkmate... Options being what?bishop to h3pawn to h3Anything else? I think King to g1 will result in a win for black...Having looked that over closely but that is my first hunch.What is black's next move if playing for a win?
Why not 1. .. Qxh3 ?!
1. Bh3 (stops Qxh2#) Bxh3
2. Rf2 (frees f1 because of 2..Bg2+) Bxh2 (still threatening Bg2+ and a later discovered check)
3. Rc3 (protects g3, now Bg2+ hangs the bishop, while before Bg2+ led to Qg3+ and mate) 3... Bf4 (still allows influence before the Knight has to move to e5, Bg2+ discovered check is still the threat)
4. Rxh3 Qxh3+ (self-explanatory, stops Bg2+)
5. Kg1 e3 (threatens winning a rook with check, the pawn is defended twice)
6. Rg2 (maintains protection of h2 from the queen) Qh4 (threatens Qe1#)
7. Nxe3 (stops the mate threat by allowing the block) Qe1+
8. Nf1 Ne5 (brings the Knight for f3+ to draw the King away from defense of the Knight)
9. Qc8 (sets up the eventual block/pin on h3, frees the pawn to take the Knight if it invades to e5)
9.. Be3+ 10. Kh2 (h1 hangs the knight with check, and protects the queen when it moves to h3)
10.. Qh4+ (taking the knight now leads to Qh3+ and then a discovered attack on the Black's queen once Rxg7+)
11. Qh3 Bf4+ (forces loss of the rook otherwise the King cant protect the White queen anymore)
12. Rg3 (blocking with the knight allows Ng4+, again forcing the King away from Queen protection) Bxg3+
13. Nxg3 Ng4+
14. Kg2 Ne3+
15. Kh2 Ng4+
16. Kg2 Ne3+ and so on and so on.
Deviating from this perpetual check allows either the loss of the Black queen due to the pin, or the White Knights invasion to f5 and then d6, when creating the passed pawns on the queenside causes more problems for black. Since black is stuck making perpetual check with the Knight, it's a draw.
Why not 7. Bxe7+
You mean Bxe3...Qxe3.
So not a draw.
"World Youth U16 | Hosts: GMs Melik Khachiyan & Dejan Bojkov"
what a bunch of cheats
by notmtwain a few minutes ago
Isnt Premoving Cheating?
by besttrollhere 4 minutes ago
WHY oh WHY is CHESS.COM so SLOW???
by carolina_stewarts 6 minutes ago
Who's your fav in the Top Ten?
by Adilbala 7 minutes ago
The Proudest Game of My Chess Career
by dblackw2 7 minutes ago
by melyob 8 minutes ago
ღ OFFICIAL 2014 Chess.com Awards ღ
by ConnorMacleod_151 9 minutes ago
12/21/2014 - Mate in 2
by SicilianDefence64 11 minutes ago
How many distinct chess games are possible, and which is the longest?
by Benzodiazepine 14 minutes ago
Get Free Coaching
by ConnorMacleod_151 16 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2014 Chess.com
• Chess - English
We are working hard to make Chess.com available in over 70 languages. Check back over the year as we develop the technology to add more, and we will try our best to notify you when your language is ready for translating!