Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

3/10/2012 - White to Draw

• 3 years ago · Quote · #141

ndskykng

melvinbluestone wrote:

The solution given is not very convincing. The problem is, after 1.Bh3 white doesn't threaten anything. So 1...Bxh3 (or 1...Qxh3) is not forced for black. For example, why not 1...Bxe2 followed maybe by a check Bf3+ or BxN? Here's a nice continuation:

White isn't threatening anything? First off, take a glance at his queenside pawns, that can be turned in a hurry.

And take your own advice buddy.

3. Rxd1 isn't forced at all, and it leads to hanging of the rook.

For that matter, 4. Rxd6 isn't forced either, he would be an idiot to leave the bank rank available for that Queen check on e1.  You have to play the best move for both sides, are you kidding me?

White would never hang his rook with 3. Rxd1.  Start your continuation instead with 3. Qxf7, threatening the b7 pawn to finish off his passed pawns on the queenside and protecting his hung rook.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #142

pbazan

Strange

• 3 years ago · Quote · #143

swadhin1

what?????

• 3 years ago · Quote · #144

Big_Daddy_10

Hummmmmmm.....Much food for though...Not much thought for good reason...No good reason for this much thought or should I say after-thought...Hummmmmmm!

Very tough puzzle!  What great mind came up with this one?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #145

PeaceRequiresAnarchy

Great puzzle. More of this difficulty please.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #146

miuziq

D_Finikin wrote:

How is this a draw?ple,ple,ple,ple,ple

• 3 years ago · Quote · #147

miuziq

domalius wrote:

Good puzzle, relatively difficult cicho!ty głąbie!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #148

pokemm

what?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #149

Fishermen17

I don't quite understand this puzzle, and according to the comments, I'm not the only one.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #150

Sunnyboya

ndskykng wrote:
    edgy_rhinx wrote:

Why not 1. .. Qxh3 ?!

1.. Qxh3 means the queen will be put in danger after Rf2 and Bxh2.  The mating net isn't set up properly then.

mraustinp wrote:

Pretty sure this isn't a draw....Anyone care to work this out further?

Clearly White's first move has to avoid checkmate... Options being what?

bishop to h3
    pawn to h3

Anything else? I think King to g1 will result in a win for black...Having looked that over closely but that is my first hunch.

What is black's next move if playing for a win?

Pawn to h3 loses to Bxh3, setting up pins and forks throughout

White has to deal with the black mating threats first before he can even address a4/a5.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a draw isn't seeing Black's threats properly.

What?  Slow down here. I didn't understand anything!  Undecided

• 3 years ago · Quote · #151

Rubick

• 3 years ago · Quote · #152

komouro

It is really bad,Black win really easily,and if Rxh2,the Qe1# and if Kxh2,then Bd7+ and white queen is lost(and then Qg3+ in order to avoid Rh2!!!)

IT IS CLEAR THAT BLACK WINS!!!IF I WAS PLAYING NOW,I CAN WIN WITH A LOT OF MOVES WITH OUT PROBLEMS.

There are more moves that can win,but I showed you one really obvious!!!The score should be

0-1

• 3 years ago · Quote · #153

ndskykng

Takes away the ability to form the mate net with Bxh2, cause now Rf2 sets up a pretty bad pin, it wouldn't exist if you take with the bishop instead.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #154

Easeland

This Puzzle is  not easy!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #155

ndskykng

komouro wrote:

It is really bad,Black win really easily,and if Rxh2,the Qe1# and if Kxh2,then Bd7+ and white queen is lost(and then Qg3+ in order to avoid Rh2!!!)

IT IS CLEAR THAT BLACK WINS!!!IF I WAS PLAYING NOW,I CAN WIN WITH A LOT OF MOVES WITH OUT PROBLEMS.

There are more moves that can win,but I showed you one really obvious!!!The score should be

0-1

You're an idiot.  White would never play either Rxh2 or Kxh2 BECAUSE black would win easily.  3. Rc3 is played for a specific reason.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #156

m_majid_khan

• 3 years ago · Quote · #157

melvinbluestone

@ndskykng 
    : "White isn't threatening anything? First off, take a glance at his queenside pawns, that can be turned in a hurry."  So after 1.Bh3 Bxe2, the threat is white's queenside pawns? So maybe white then plays 2.a6?? and hangs the rook on f1........ Come on! Show me a how white wins or even draws after 1...Bxe2!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #158

ndskykng

melvinbluestone wrote:

@ndskykng 
    : "White isn't threatening anything? First off, take a glance at his queenside pawns, that can be turned in a hurry."  So after 1.Bh3 Bxe2, the threat is white's queenside pawns? So maybe white then plays 2.a6?? and hangs the rook on f1........ Come on! Show me a how white wins or even draws after 1...Bxe2!

Where in the post did I say 2. a6?? Can you read?

I said 2. Rf2 Bxd1 BUT that 3. Rxd1 was NOT forced.  I thought chess players were smarter.

I suggested 3. Qxf7 start the assault on the queenside, bring a defender to the kingside attack AND prevent the f2 rook from being hung, which is what YOU wanted to do with 3. Rxd1

The position isn't as simple as you're making it, and the pawns are a real threat once the kingside is neutralized.  Your move.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #159

ILLYRIA

This puzzle left me laying in a ditch by the side of the road.    Maybe by the end of it white is well on his way toward forcing a stalemate???????

• 3 years ago · Quote · #160

rbombardier

Last

Post your reply: