Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

3/15/2012 - Mate in 4

• 4 years ago · Quote · #221

Senthiloo7

Splane wrote:

I think there is a second solution, starting with 1. Nh6+ Kh8  2. Qf7 threatening 3. Qg8+ and 4. Nf7#.

thnks 4 d post

....Laughing

• 4 years ago · Quote · #222

chuckeycharles

I guess I am blind. Why doesn't black take the Queen after RXP

• 4 years ago · Quote · #223

n_srinath93

good one..

• 4 years ago · Quote · #224

TempterMan

chuckeycharles wrote:

I guess I am blind. Why doesn't black take the Queen after RXP

Because rook will checkmate Rh7 in the next move!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #225

km2288

Is Black's Queen on holiday?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #226

TempterMan

jasonsammons wrote:

I don't understand why the black knight goes g5 instead of f4 capturing the white queen. If the white rook then moves g8 putting the king in check, the rook on c8 takes the white rook avoiding check mate.

Lastly, this checkmate is not forced if black would have simply thought about its actions.

Because rook will checkmate Rh7 in the next move!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #227

mwaltenburg

tough one

• 4 years ago · Quote · #228

evidNz

2. Ng5 doesn't make lots of sense but mate is unavoidable anyway... And who would put the black queen in such position? This puzzle is weird...

• 4 years ago · Quote · #229

bknight-sk

odd one...

• 4 years ago · Quote · #230

brainteaser_1

Embarassed

• 4 years ago · Quote · #231

jasonsammons

ndskykng wrote:
    jasonsammons wrote:

I don't understand why the black knight goes g5 instead of f4 capturing the white queen. If the white rook then moves g8 putting the king in check, the rook on c8 takes the white rook avoiding check mate.

Lastly, this checkmate is not forced if black would have simply thought about its actions.

You're an idiot, and obviously haven't been paying attention.

You know that fourth move by the rook?  Yeah.. you just did nothing to prevent it and allowed it on move three.

HAHA! I honestly didnt see that. yeah that was dumb thinking on my part. Thanks for pointing it out. I just started playing chess in like the last week and am trying to learn. Sorry for posting what should have been an obvious blunder.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #232

ndskykng

jasonsammons wrote:
    ndskykng wrote:
    jasonsammons wrote:

You're an idiot, and obviously haven't been paying attention.

You know that fourth move by the rook?  Yeah.. you just did nothing to prevent it and allowed it on move three.

HAHA! I honestly didnt see that. yeah that was dumb thinking on my part. Thanks for pointing it out. I just started playing chess in like the last week and am trying to learn. Sorry for posting what should have been an obvious blunder.

Nah, that was too harsh and I apologize for that.

I'm just saying black doesnt play Ng5 for shits and giggles, he's doing it specifically to prevent mate at h7.  Going anywhere else doesnt stop this threat.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #233

BlessedStar

ndskykng wrote:
    Bryan681972 wrote:
    BlessedStar wrote:
    blempka wrote:
    Splane wrote:

I think there is a second solution, starting with 1. Nh6+ Kh8  2. Qf7 threatening 3. Qg8+ and 4. Nf7#.

Splane,

I see what route you thinking of when you mention the move sequence to mate; however, I found that with your prescribed moves, Black as ample opportunity to delay checkmate... even if it is for a few more moves. A few examples are below.

I stopped where I did because at that point in the game White seems to be in enough control that the following moves do not need to be explained.
    Hope this helps you.  I am just trying to get more "involved" in things like this ;)

after g6 Bb2 +

2...g6 3. Bb2+ Bd4 no mate in four.

Agree with Bryan681972 and blempka on these lines (with 1.. Kh8 and 2.. g6)

1. Nh6+ allows black to delay checkmate to more than four moves

1. Nf6+ is the more efficient mate

Lets keep quoting

• 4 years ago · Quote · #234

BlessedStar

BlessedStar wrote:
    ndskykng wrote:
    Bryan681972 wrote:
    BlessedStar wrote:
    blempka wrote:
    Splane wrote:

Splane,

I see what route you thinking of when you mention the move sequence to mate; however, I found that with your prescribed moves, Black as ample opportunity to delay checkmate... even if it is for a few more moves. A few examples are below.

I stopped where I did because at that point in the game White seems to be in enough control that the following moves do not need to be explained.
    Hope this helps you.  I am just trying to get more "involved" in things like this ;)

after g6 Bb2 +

2...g6 3. Bb2+ Bd4 no mate in four.

Agree with Bryan681972 and blempka on these lines (with 1.. Kh8 and 2.. g6)

1. Nh6+ allows black to delay checkmate to more than four moves

1. Nf6+ is the more efficient mate

Lets keep quoting

Like this

• 4 years ago · Quote · #235

reffahc

easy

• 3 years ago · Quote · #236

JCE77

nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #237

TinioJohn

din?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #238

shengyi

Splane wrote:

Interesting...multiple mates.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #239

ZackAttack999

hhmmm!

Post your reply: