slowhare

Should be called Mate in 7.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #106

cacamoumou

FIRST

• 3 years ago · Quote · #107

utarefson

ndskykng wrote:

...  I hate all the mindless posts of "Easy" "Straightforward," rather than the people that actually talk about the chess position and contribute something meaningful to the conversation.

I agree, was a great puzzle in that it's a long queen walk to get her back to her original square while preventing the discovered check by Black's Knight.  Pretty neat.

I don't know if "Streightforward" is so bad. Because, you know, first move is forced. Then again, if you have taken rook on d8, it would've been draw. Again, to try to win you are forced to attack. After g5+ you still can take draw, if you get scared. I have seen my chances to win only after i'd done that move.

For attacker, like me, this puzzle is not about counting possibilities and choosing best way, but following line of attack in despair.

Still, it was not "Easy". Solving have involved emotions, fear and desperation, in thought process. So, I have enjoyed this puzzle very much.

PS. I don't know is my english is good enough to communicate all what i was thinking. So, please be able to forgive if text above is rusty.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #108

ndskykng

slowhare wrote:

Should be called Mate in 7.

1. Qc7+ Rd7 2. Qxd7+ Kh6 3. g5+ Kxg5 4. Qe7+ Kh6 5. Qf8+ 5. Rh4+ Qh5 (5. Qh4+ Qh5 5... Kg56. Qf4+ Kh5 7. Qh4#

Slowhare... you're missing 2. Rxd7+ in your analysis. It won't be Mate in 7.

Trust me on this one ;) 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #109

jorgheb12

interesting

• 3 years ago · Quote · #110

Hoganhaben

got em... keep checkin and good things are bound to happen!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #111

RenataCFC

Why my eyes glazed over.  In retrospect I think the best chance for white to go wrong was probably the 1. ... Rg7 line.  If white carelessly captures with the queen, as I just kind of automatically assumed would work when I first saw it, then it's a complete mess.  I only looked at it for a few minutes, but I'm not sure there's a forced mate at all.  (Can anyone say?)  Access for the queen to f4 is vital, and that doesn't become apparent until the other lines are solved.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #112

ndskykng

Renata my hero, I agree, it has to be captured with the rook.  

Access to f4 is absolutely vital.

As for your other question, after the blunder 2. Qxd7+? you can start going down Slowhare's line.

2.. Kh6

3. g5+ Kxg5

4. Qd8+ Kh6

5. Qh8+ Kg5

6. Qh4+ Kf5

7. Qf4# 

This is similar to the same Queen walk as before.

If you take it down Slowhare's line with 4. Qe7+ instead of 4. Qd8+ then instead of 5..Kg5 as Slowhare has presented, black could delay more by 5..Kh5 instead, leading to 6. Qh8+ Kg5 7. Qh4+ Kf5 8. Qf4#

So I think 4. Qd8+ would be the way to go. 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #113

divinapinoy

When your own King is in danger... look for checks, it might be GOOD...and it works here. 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #114

baldax

very logic puzzle! => good one

• 3 years ago · Quote · #115

damongross

Nice chase scene.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #116

senormouse2001

Nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #117

pcyrran

Interesting. With black looming you know every move hand to be decisive.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #118

relatedsqrs

Interesting

• 3 years ago · Quote · #119

ruphouse

It really stresses the idea of attacking when in trouble, and sends the point home that material is secondary.  Thanks.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #120

RenataCFC

ndskykng wrote:

Renata my hero, I agree, it has to be captured with the rook.  

Access to f4 is absolutely vital.

As for your other question, after the blunder 2. Qxd7+? you can start going down Slowhare's line.

2.. Kh6

3. g5+ Kxg5

4. Qd8+ Kh6

5. Qh8+ Kg5

6. Qh4+ Kf5

7. Qf4# 

This is similar to the same Queen walk as before.

If you take it down Slowhare's line with 4. Qe7+ instead of 4. Qd8+ then instead of 5..Kg5 as Slowhare has presented, black could delay more by 5..Kh5 instead, leading to 6. Qh8+ Kg5 7. Qh4+ Kf5 8. Qf4#

So I think 4. Qd8+ would be the way to go. 

Yep, I see it.  I got distracted by a deviation on the second move, king to the back rank (since queen and rook no longer on separate files), thinking that might draw the rook out of position too and neutralize the pawn check.  But if nothing else, just two extra checks with the queen should do it, to get the queen back to c7 and force the king toward the g4 pawn as in all the other lines.

Post your reply: