Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

3/23/2013 - Over And Done


  • 18 months ago · Quote · #81

    roaming123boy

    Cool

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #82

    PIRATCH

    darlochessenthusiast wrote:

    What would have happened if black on his fifth move had played K to g7.  Would the knight have checked him?  This would fork the king and the rook, and would be damaging for black, but it would hardly be decisive.  CAN SOME-ONE ANSWER ME PLEASE - I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE ANSWER!

    Black probably can improve. Wink

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #83

    MengiseHaikam

    fking good

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #84

    TAshahin

    nice

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #85

    rav001

    good puzzle but was not that much difficult

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #86

    damongross

    Nice exercise in the controlled chase.

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #87

    hojunlee17

    but queen to b8 is mate in 4

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #88

    slowhare

    PIRATCH wrote:
    slowhare wrote:

    not an easy mate from where it ends

    a) 6...Kg6 7 Qg8+ Kh6 8 Rh7#

    b) Your line is far too complicated: 6...Kh6 7 Qh8+ Kg6 8 Qg8+ Kh6 9 Rh7#
    Simply use the Rf7 as a blocking line ...

    7...Kg5 instead of Kg6 will stretch that line out as well.

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #89

    juliandp


    pcfilho escribió:

    What about this "mate in 3" problem? Can you solve it?

    http://jornalheiros.blogspot.com/2013/03/xadrez-mate-em-3-richard-reti.html

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #90

    damongross

    pcfilho wrote:

    What about this "mate in 3" problem? Can you solve it?

    http://jornalheiros.blogspot.com/2013/03/xadrez-mate-em-3-richard-reti.html

    Thanks for sharing that!

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #91

    isisiser

    pcfilho wrote:

    What about this "mate in 3" problem? Can you solve it?

    http://jornalheiros.blogspot.com/2013/03/xadrez-mate-em-3-richard-reti.html

     

    Dd8

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #92

    dufferps

    Continuations could be:

    6. ...   Kg6,  7. Qg8+  Kh5 (or ... Kh6),  8.Rh7#

    or

    6. ...   Kh6,  7. Qh8+   Kg5,  8.Qf6+  Kh5,  9. Rh7#

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #93

    morerayc

    I think it's easier and better to mate black by first moving the queen to B8

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #94

    slowhare

    darlochessenthusiast wrote:

    What would have happened if black on his fifth move had played K to g7.  Would the knight have checked him?  This would fork the king and the rook, and would be damaging for black, but it would hardly be decisive.  CAN SOME-ONE ANSWER ME PLEASE - I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE ANSWER!

    After the exchange white's rook would be pinned to the king, not a wise move.

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #95

    mhalilim

    Nice, Dirty Dance!

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #96

    ThutmoseIII

    "Over And Done"? Who comes up with these titles? This puzzle should be named "Eventually over and done after chasing the King thru a half dozen moves".

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #97

    PIRATCH

    slowhare wrote:
    PIRATCH wrote:
    slowhare wrote:

    not an easy mate from where it ends

    a) 6...Kg6 7 Qg8+ Kh6 8 Rh7#

    b) Your line is far too complicated: 6...Kh6 7 Qh8+ Kg6 8 Qg8+ Kh6 9 Rh7#
    Simply use the Rf7 as a blocking line ...

    7...Kg5 instead of Kg6 will stretch that line out as well.

    It seems as if White mates in 9 from the starting position of the puzzle! Cool

    Edit: dufferps (see post #101) was faster!

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #98

    EkeA

    Cool

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #99

    KNIGHTHORSE6729

    tough puzzle nice

  • 18 months ago · Quote · #100

    dufferps

    darlochessenthusiast wrote:

    What would have happened if black on his fifth move had played K to g7.  Would the knight have checked him?  This would fork the king and the rook, and would be damaging for black, but it would hardly be decisive.  CAN SOME-ONE ANSWER ME PLEASE - I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE ANSWER!

    I think white would respond with 6.Ng5+.  Looking at the continuations after 6. ... Qxf5, 7.Rxf5,  I see that white wins.

    I'll come back and edit this as I examine other black responses to 6.Ng5+.

    EDIT:
    Whoops.  6.Ng5 is impossible/illegal. I meant 6.Nf5+

    And after trying several lines,  I am inclined to agree with darlochessenthusiast, I think black is in quite a strong position after 5....Kg7.    ----   One line:

    5. ...     Kg7,
    6. Nf5+  Kh7,
    7. Nxd4  Qxd4, (My rook is pinned.
    8. Qc7+  Kh8,
    9. Qg3    Nd4,
    10.Qh3+  Kg8,
    11.Qg3+  Qg7,
    12.Qxg7+ Kxg7,
    13.Rd2   Ne5    Too many variations to play out, but I see a draw as most likely.


Back to Top

Post your reply: