• 3 years ago · Quote · #61

donce83

Nice puzzle

• 3 years ago · Quote · #62

edgarsgrapmanis

nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #63

BobMumm

Blacks should have gone back with the rock, and loosing the bishop, take the pawn, shouldn´t ?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #64

BobMumm

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #65

BlknightRising

Deltaquad,

Good puzzle. 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #66

ndskykng

BobMumm wrote:

Blacks should have gone back with the rock, and loosing the bishop, take the pawn, shouldn´t ?

Certainly would have been better than trading rooks like he did.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #67

BryanCFB

I got every move right playing through the puzzle but could not calculate it in my head, and I looked at the title before moving.  I had the right idea of moving the knight on c3, attacking the queen, but missed 2. Nxd1.  I never even considered capturing black's rook with the knight even after looking at many ideas, which did not work, because I was so focused on the knight on c3 moving forward, mainly to d5.  Sometimes when you get so locked into an idea you can't change your thinking into a different direction.  Only when I saw the position after 1...Rxd1+ did I notice the knight could move backwards and capture.  Then everything else fell into place and it was straightforward after that.  Super combination by Tal!  The best Chess.com puzzle in quite a while!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #68

vs2play

thx

• 3 years ago · Quote · #69

ndskykng

Bryan681972 wrote:

I got every move right playing through the puzzle but could not calculate it in my head, and I looked at the title before moving.  I had the right idea of moving the knight on c3, attacking the queen, but missed 2. Nxd1.  I never even considered capturing black's rook with the knight even after looking at many ideas, which did not work, because I was so focused on the knight on c3 moving forward, mainly to d5.  Sometimes when you get so locked into an idea you can't change your thinking into a different direction.  Only when I saw the position after 1...Rxd1+ did I notice the knight could move backwards and capture.  Then everything else fell into place and it was straightforward after that.  Super combination by Tal!  The best Chess.com puzzle in quite a while!

Agreed.  Busting out a discovered attack against Black's undefended queen just jumps out at ya.  I went into several bad directions as well.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #70

ZacWilson

Always need to be reminded about the strength of pawns.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #71

BobMumm

I agree, a simple mistake, lost a bishop not means lost the game, ...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #72

BryanCFB

BobMumm wrote:

Yes.  Black needed to play 1...Rh7, leaving material equal after 2. fxg7 Rxg7, with white having two minor pieces for a rook and a pawn.   White's position appears superior though.  I would evaluate the position as such:

1.  White has two minor pieces for a rook.

2.  White's king is much safer than black's king.

3.  Black's rook on g7 is awkwardly placed.

4.  Perhaps white grabs the h-file immediately with 3. Rh1.

5.  The white player is Tal!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #73

saijiki88

Pretty slick!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #74

Grigorios

Been a while since I last saw such a hard one in the homepage

• 3 years ago · Quote · #75

Vitix

Lovely moove!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #76

RenataCFC

ndskykng just linked me the game; here it is.

http://timkr.home.xs4all.nl/chess/mfm101110.htm

Black has just captured on h1, no doubt expecting that the threat of RxR and a big material advantage will compel Tal to do a simple recapture, allowing black to retreat his hanging knight and temporarily de-fanging that advanced pawn.  Oops. 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #77

Twobit

This was a nice one

• 3 years ago · Quote · #78

waynedickinson2

wow ,a real puzzle

• 3 years ago · Quote · #79

RenataCFC

Yeah, it's a really nice one of the "find the best move" type.  Because even the "even" exchange that's been suggested from retreating the rook to h7 leaves white very much better.  I would not want to play against white's minors with the black kingside in disarray like that.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #80

KittyAX

nice and Cool

Post your reply: