Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

3/4/2011 - D. Joseph, British Chess Magazine 1922

• 3 years ago · Quote · #81

henadeera

I feel the soulution of this pussle is not the best one.. If white pawn at the begining cut the the black pawn...thats the best solution...

If I'm incorrect pls...correct me!!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #82

BenTal

MatP wrote:

Nice puzzle! That last move however was stupid to force, as white can take with queen as well as with the king :-)

The rest of the moves were forced however, pretty interesting tactics by both players.

I agree, a really interesting puzzle, with white walking a tightrope to avoid letting black get away with a draw. All the moves are forced until the last one - I think (as previously suggested) 10...Qf4, 11. Kd7+ Qb8 12. Qa1+ Qa7 13. QxQa7#  might have been a prettier finish. Or maybe 10...Qh4+, 11. QxQh4 Kb1, 12. Kd7 Ka1 13. Qd8# or Qh8#

• 3 years ago · Quote · #83

Rafnar

yeah can someone tell why the king didn't take the pawn on b6 in the beeginning?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #84

BenTal

henadeera wrote:

I feel the soulution of this pussle is not the best one.. If white pawn at the begining cut the the black pawn...thats the best solution...

If I'm incorrect pls...correct me!!!

I assume you mean bxa6 as the first move for white? The b pawn will promote before white's h pawn after b5, so black will win from this position.

1. bxa6 b5 2. h4 b4 3. b3 h5 4. b2 h6 5. b1(Q) and the queen prevents h7.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #85

PatternRecognition

Couldn't the King just move out the way, Checkmate?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #86

BenTal

Rafnar wrote:

yeah can someone tell why the king didn't take the pawn on b6 in the beeginning?

Post #40 (bottom of page 2) covers this line along with most others. Basically the h pawn will promote before the a pawn, but this time if black promotes with a1(Q), the white queen simply takes it (ie Qh8xQa1) and there is no stalemate to prevent it as in the puzzle. It will actually take white a little bit longer to win in practice, but it is much more likely that white will make a mistake playing it the other way, where there is only one winning move each turn until the last one.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #87

chiran

yeah me having same question y didnt king take b6 at beginning?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #88

Noir_Desir

because you can't queen on a1 after white queens on h8 as long as there is no stalemate, it's a complicated concept called "diagonal".

• 3 years ago · Quote · #89

H_Bogart

PatternRecognition wrote:

Couldn't the King just move out the way, Checkmate?

I almost fell for that one too.. however QxQ !

• 3 years ago · Quote · #90

ILuvPawn

Phenomenal moves to ensure the victory.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #91

amrita1

alach11 wrote:
    mitemakeswrite wrote:

why didn't the king take the pawn on b6 to begin with?

Because white is going to promote first.  In the real game the reason white can't immediately capture black's queen after promoting is because that will make it a stalemate.

If black takes the pawn on b6 white be be able to just capture black's queen and win easily.

Very nice puzzle & a good Q & equally good explanation!

Thanks to all ! :-)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #92

sen_kwan

this is the answer who have a question why black's king didnt take b6 pawn..

and this is the answer who have a question why not bxa6..

• 3 years ago · Quote · #93

cmved

broblematik puzzle 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #94

cmved

canfused 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #95

Bestbythetest

Nice one. Queen secon and third move was hard to find

• 3 years ago · Quote · #96

tonie08

balck offered his queen to whites queen idky he didnt take it ..y did he even offer to exchange when he would just lose his queen..

• 3 years ago · Quote · #97

basant

good.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #98

dragana87

eat

• 3 years ago · Quote · #99

1000oaks

Okay puzzleWinkLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

• 3 years ago · Quote · #100

Tadija

stupid