Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

3/4/2011 - D. Joseph, British Chess Magazine 1922

• 4 years ago · Quote · #21

Lawdoginator

Very long and hard. 

• 4 years ago · Quote · #22

nakashvir

Can any of the above gentlemen tell me that why in 7th move Qh8xQa1?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #23

Logical_Chess

a really interesting puzzle

• 4 years ago · Quote · #24

gwnn

nakashvir wrote:

Can any of the above gentlemen tell me that why in 7th move Qh8xQa1?

The question has already been asked and answered above you.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #25

mohandisusa

again, another epic of endgames...

• 4 years ago · Quote · #26

slwy2002

easyInnocent

• 4 years ago · Quote · #27

Jakeandalfie

phew!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #28

triptych2003

Hendrik77 wrote:

I don`t get it. What`s the point of moving those queens around that long?

my question too... white could have had black's queen 20 moves ago!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #29

Pawns_Grudge

Why 7. Qg8?  Couldn't you have skipped this move and went for the throat with 7. Qe8?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #30

bluefirelight

Hendrik77 wrote:

I don`t get it. What`s the point of moving those queens around that long?

you have to weigh the risk of stalemate, and forced draw if Queens were exchanged and perpetual check (a real possibility since the King is out in the open)

.. But I don't see why that last move couldn''t just be KxQ. Why MUST it be QxQ? does the same thing :-)

• 4 years ago · Quote · #31

Naedling

Curious endgame

• 4 years ago · Quote · #32

woodrow

mitemakeswrite asked why the Black King didn't play 1...Kxb6 instead of 1...Kb8. Black could have done that, and he would have delayed being mated by about five extra moves beyond those shown in the puzzle. But as soon as White played 1. b6+, Black was inevitably mated unless White did something really stupid. However, if White had played 1. bxa6, Black would have played 1...b5 and White would have ended up mated because Black would have promoted first. (Again, unless Black had later done something really stupid.)

• 4 years ago · Quote · #33

dufferps

Great tactics.  I didn't figure out anything until it was all over and I tried to back-track and figure alternatives (particularly looking for what, if any, better moves moves black might have had.  Then it became clear what white had done to get around black's attempts to force stalemate.

I do think black could have stretched the game out with
    10. ... Qa7.

But
    11. bxa7   Kxa7
    12, Qa1+  and white's king and queen  should have no problem winning against black's King and pawn at b7

• 4 years ago · Quote · #34

seb-seb

The black king should have taken the pawn on b6 at the beginning... no?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #35

Narendhranath

Chesskimo wrote:

Why 7. Qg8?  Couldn't you have skipped this move and went for the throat with 7. Qe8?

7. Qe8 allows black to play 7... Qg7. Looks like he can get a draw fom here.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #36

tranminhkhoi2

I had read this puzzle in my chess book, let me say something, all the moves of white is the only way to lead to the win! If you don't hink show, just becuse you can't find black best move, that's all

• 4 years ago · Quote · #37

devilchn

Narendhranath wrote:
    Chesskimo wrote:

7. Qe8 allows black to play 7... Qg7. Looks like he can get a draw fom here.

yeah 7 ... Qg7 forces the white Queen out of 8th row

• 4 years ago · Quote · #38

Noir_Desir

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 4 years ago · Quote · #39

Noir_Desir

tranminhkhoi2 wrote:

I had read this puzzle in my chess book, let me say something, all the moves of white is the only way to lead to the win! If you don't hink show, just becuse you can't find black best move, that's all

not true, 11. Kxe8 also wins ;)

• 4 years ago · Quote · #40

Fancy93pants

Sorry, but I feel there is a mistake in Black's final move. I think Qf4 is a legitimate move that prevents the checkmate, even if momentarily. I can't really see a defined continuation for white that allows them to win in this position. If anyone could shine some light on this issue that would be greatly appreciated.

Post your reply: