Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

3/4/2011 - D. Joseph, British Chess Magazine 1922

• 3 years ago · Quote · #141

elindauer

amazing puzzle.  Great analysis by tranminhkhoi2 #40 explaining why the white queen moves Qg8 then Qe8 are the onlywinning  moves (Qg8 Qa2 takes away Qg7, while Qf8?? allows Qa3 with Qd6 happening, the only check on the white king where he cannot move and give mate).

Good cleanup by sen_kwan #105 explaining why 1.bxa6?? b5!! is not a win for white, although in his hurry to prove a draw he misses 6... Qb8+! winning for black.

I haven't seen anyone show 1.h4 yet, so here it is:  1.h4 axb5! 2. h5 b4 3.h6 b3 4.h7 b2 5.h8=Q b1=Q draw.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #142

FredBatchelor

I am not or will ever be first. I like to be asleep at those times.  And I will not be the first to rant about people who say first. And though they don't anounce that they are the first first complainer.  derivative of first. you know they keep score.  But, I lay claim to first to complain loudly about the first compainers. They are the ones that burn me up.  AND I am therefore the First, second derivative of first.  Yup the real, secret, purist's purpose of these Chess puzzles. 

Regards Fred  

current champion of second derivative complainer.

' support your right to premove in the privacy of your own home'

• 3 years ago · Quote · #143

diogens

sen_kwan wrote:

this is the answer who have a question why black's king didnt take b6 pawn..

and this is the answer who have a question why not bxa6..

To the second question is not a draw. Black moves Qb8+ and wins the game

• 3 years ago · Quote · #144

FredBatchelor

Seanacus777 wrote:

I dont understand why white even waited to take the black queen, as well as why the king didnt take the other pawn???

So as not to settle for stalemate.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #145

jamessaul

Didn't get anywhere near all the moves to be honest

• 3 years ago · Quote · #146

Fancheto

this puzzle is stupid you should ate their queen when they just turn to queen....

• 3 years ago · Quote · #147

elindauer

FredBatchelor wrote:
    Seanacus777 wrote:

I dont understand why white even waited to take the black queen, as well as why the king didnt take the other pawn???

So as not to settle for stalemate.

Honestly I don't know who is worse:  the person who asks a question that has been answered 20 times already... or the person who answers it!

*facepalm*

• 3 years ago · Quote · #148

ricker23

This was a good chess workout but I did not quite understand some of the strategy. 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #149

OnionTerror

More chess.com members are falling foul of firstitis every day.  Firstitis sufferers are compelled to post the word "first" on the daily puzzle forum for no good reason.  See the first page of today's forum to see just how serious this is.  Join the First Aid group and help us put an end to this terrible condition. We at First Aid are dedicated to understanding this increasingly common disease and helping those afflicted by it. Become a First Aider today. Let's make firstitis history...

Link to the group home page : http://www.chess.com/groups/view/first-aid

• 3 years ago · Quote · #150

OnionTerror

In response to big_bald_n_beautiful : If Black takes the pawn when put in check, White will win the race to promote his remaining pawn, and Black is lost. By not taking the pawn and moving to b8, Black can at least try to force stalemate, knowing that, if he does promote his a-pawn immediately after White promotes his h-pawn, then Qh8xa1?? is stalemate. This is better than having no chance whatsoever!  If Black can force an exchange of queens at any point, then the game is drawn.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #151

wjbefondo

if the pawn was taken on b6, the White h pawn will go first all the way to the last rank without a problem, be promoted to a queen and prevent black from queening.

While moving those queens are for 'tempo' until everything is forced and avoid stalemate

• 3 years ago · Quote · #152

gnug

i think it's high time that some mods start regulating on the comments "first!" - 99

everybody hates wading through that bullshit to get to a comment of substance.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #153

brendisimo

A classic.  Remembered the theme from a long time ago, which helped.  But a real head scratcher.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #154

thedemiurge

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #155

AtrumX

Nice Puzzle. I'm confused as to the purpose of Qg8. Why not just move straight to e8?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #156

btenorio93

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #157

da_midge

guess what this its AWESOME!!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #158

lubricant

mitemakeswrite wrote:

why didn't the king take the pawn on b6 to begin with?

if black takes the pawn then whites h pawn will queen the move before blacks pawn just like in the puzzle... exept no chance for stalemate.  so black can't really queen its pawn.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #159

Razzfazz

Nice--so old and still so difficult!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #160

PatternRecognition

I don't know why more people aren't concerned with how the king could have moved, unless I'm wrong.  It is Checkmate, right?  Right after blacks queen promotion white could have moved king out of his queens way, was wondering if anyone else sees this.

And it seems like white played a horrible endgame which ends in a stalemate.

Post your reply: