Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

4/19/2012 - Sucker Punch

• 2 years ago · Quote · #41

zheka_ilya

InnocentWinkCoolFoot in mouthLaughingCool

• 2 years ago · Quote · #42

zheka_ilya

CoolFoot in mouthLaughingInnocentWinkCoolFoot in mouthLaughingCoolLaughingCoolInnocentWinkLaughingCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolInnocentLaughingSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileWinkSmileCoolCoolCool

• 2 years ago · Quote · #43

Miu_

very easy one...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #44

zheka_ilya

Cool

• 2 years ago · Quote · #45

KFTBR

cool

• 2 years ago · Quote · #46

pyramider

Rather obvious.  Sometimes real games have positions more interesting than elaborate puzzles.  Not sure many players would sacrifice the queen very easily in real life but it happens often enough.  The trouble is in a game with time limitations, if you miss-calculate the sacrifice looks so silly it is embarassing.

Now to the important stuff:  THird page, probably fourth. 

EASY

SOOOEEEAAASY

9 repeated nine times

Hm

Funny faces in few separate posting

..So much for chess players, even the wannabees, being a smart bunch.  We are as stupid as anybody else and even worse

• 2 years ago · Quote · #47

christianaiphie

cool

• 2 years ago · Quote · #48

fastig

good.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #49

har_zar

nice and easy

• 2 years ago · Quote · #50

skba_07

Surprised WOW COOL !!!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #51

nitch09

Yellvery nice corny!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #52

waynedickinson2

nice

• 2 years ago · Quote · #53

upmohc

easy

• 2 years ago · Quote · #54

dufferps

With the title, this was easy for a Thursday puzzle.  Of course, black could have chosen to move his king instead of being suckered into capturing white's queen and abandoning control of the eighth rank, but it would not have saved him.

1. ... Kb8,   2, Qxe8#
    1. ... Kd8,   2. Qd7#

Interestingly, the first time I looked at 1. Qd6+  Rxd6, it was with the idea of some kind of 2. Nxd6 - hoping for a fork, (enabling a knight fork of Queen and King or another vital piece is a common sucker punch in chess), but I immediately saw that would be no fork and would open escape squares for the king.  Then I saw that black was in no position to effectively defend the 8th rank, once the rook came down.

EDIT:  I think a true "sucker punch" would be if offer of queen sacrfice were not forced, but just seemed too good to pass up.   In this case, black was not "suckered" into capturing the queen, he was virtually "forced" to do so.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #55

vanhafford

The ole' famous Queen Sacrifice!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #56

dufferps

skba_07 wrote:

WOW COOL !!!

Ahmad Jais (Sek Keb Bagan Ajam) (1) vs. Boon Cheng (Chuang Hua 1 ) (2)
    IN DAERAH COMPETTITION FOR-41 | 31 | Round 3| Apr 10 | 1-0

I can't believe two players would actually play a line like this.  Were there some kind of rules against capturing the queen and/or against initial moves 2 squares by a pawn?  Was the competition to see who could make the worst blunders? (my attempts to show the line presented by skba_07 don't work)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #57

KumarAnkur

Good one!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #58

milray101

step by step, inch by inch

• 2 years ago · Quote · #59

ndskykng

slowhare wrote:

Title gave it totally away.

Qxc6 works too, only move for black is Qxd4+ followed by being wiped out.

So you're telling me that Qxc6 works too for mate-in-4.  Really?

Please, so tell me what's your followup to get mate that quickly after the black queen takes the knight?  Just get the rook off that bank rank and be done with it.  How does this move work as well?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #60

mvallejo70

nice one

Post your reply: