Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

4/5/2012 - Mate in 3

• 2 years ago · Quote · #121

damongross

At Kandykween: consider what happens if white is allowed to move his advanced pawn to the eighth rank and promote it to a queen.  What is stopping white from doing this?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #122

szammie

I guess.

SZ.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #123

shahronakm

Good one.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #124

kandykween

damongross wrote:

At Kandykween: consider what happens if white is allowed to move his advanced pawn to the eighth rank and promote it to a queen.  What is stopping white from doing this?

I looked at the puzzle again and now I get it! It would be a check, right? And the black queen would take and the whole thing would collapse, right? So... the white queen baits the black queen... but the black queen doesn't take because... um... (I'm sorry I'm stupid at this!) it would be checkmate because the black queen wouldn't be protecting/guarding the square, so white would promote and it would be checkmate? 

Oh, now I get it! Thanks!

(What's this type of move-thing called?!)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #125

mwaltenburg

nice

• 2 years ago · Quote · #126

RenataCFC

PuzzlCritic wrote:

Why would the black queen not take the white queen? Also, with a white pawn on the verge of queening, I kept trying to use it.  And if in the end you're just going to end up winning by putting the queen up there and taking the other queen, couldn't you do that in two moves by moving the queen up in the first move?  Counter intuitive, but a very creative puzzle.

Checking with the queen on the back rank on the first move doesn't work because the king still has an escape square. After it moves to g8 to avoid the first check, it can't escape anymore.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #127

Labfrog

Cool. Didn't see the first move though

• 2 years ago · Quote · #128

donce83

Very, very easy

• 2 years ago · Quote · #129

HenriqueBR

Have one more possibilite but the system says that its wrong...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #130

freelunch

@kandykween: overburdening the Q (it has to prepare for two things, and there is no square fromm where it can do both); or, deflection (luring it away from the defence of an essential square = d8).

• 2 years ago · Quote · #131

Samer-Syr

easy

• 2 years ago · Quote · #132

Samer-Syr

one

• 2 years ago · Quote · #133

ghamilto61

Wouldn't first move Qa3 work just as well?  He still has to move Kg8, and even though the next move Qe7 doesn't put him in check, there's not a move he can make to stop mate on your next move.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #134

ndskykng

ghamilto61 wrote:

Wouldn't first move Qa3 work just as well?  He still has to move Kg8, and even though the next move Qe7 doesn't put him in check, there's not a move he can make to stop mate on your next move.

See post #58, it's not mate-in-3 anymore.

And FYI, if you want to move 2. Qe7, then you've allowed the Black queen to start the harassment of the White King.

2....Qd5+ and the chase begins all over the board

• 2 years ago · Quote · #135

3943rjfrolland

Surprised

• 2 years ago · Quote · #136

h3lo123

Laughing

• 2 years ago · Quote · #137

LawrenceB

not too shabby!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #138

Jeffmon

ZacWilson wrote:

By offering up the Queen to remove it from defending a key square on the bank rank are we employing the concept of DECOY or DEFLECTION?  Anyone know the "proper" answer?  I know they are similar.  Wondering what the defining difference is between the terms.

I've only heard the term "deflection" used for a situation where a piece is enticed or forced from the defense of a key square/diagonal/rank/file. I would guess "decoy" means the same thing but isn't as widely used.

Edit: Actually according to wikipedia, a decoy is when you lure a piece to a specific bad square, whereas a deflection lures it to any square where it can no longer adequately defend the threat. So a decoy would be a specific type of deflection (if I understood it correctly).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_terminology#D

• 2 years ago · Quote · #139

KittyAX

dang it i couldnt get it

• 2 years ago · Quote · #140

xray

cute first move.....nice

Post your reply: