Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

4/6/2013 - White to Draw

• 20 months ago · Quote · #341

KilgoreBass

PIRATCH wrote:

No, I'm not joking! "Man" simply does not equal "pieces"!

Source: John Nunn: Rook endings, Batsford 1999.
    At the moment I cannot quote from it because I'm reorganizing my chess books and it's in a box with other boxes over this box. Too much work to reach it!  

Piratch:

I tablebase lingo, X-man, X-men, or X-piece, implies the total number left on the board, including the kings and pawns (if any pawns are left).  The description might be a bit of misnomer, I agree, but that's what  people call it.

http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/endgame-database.html

https://plus.google.com/100454521496393505718/posts

• 20 months ago · Quote · #342

PIRATCH

First I thought they changed it. But I found even in Ken Thompson (who first programed TPE) wrote about 5-Man-ending.

http://www.gadycosteff.com/eg/eg83.pdf

Maybe it's really too confusing for people to leave out kings for counting the remaining material for endings ... (I really read about it and I still think it was in one of Nunn's endings books ... Nunn there also has his own convention - ! for only move for a win ...) Wink

• 20 months ago · Quote · #343

KilgoreBass

Yep, It probably came about due to the description of a tablebase position, for example, KRPKR, so it makes some sense for those who make tablebase algorithms to count up all the "letters" in that as 5-"man".  

• 20 months ago · Quote · #344

p-wnattack

SuperSeal wrote:

How is this a draw?  Black clearly wins with 2 passed pawns

two passed rook pawns its a draw the king goes to the corner blacks bishop can't control then he sacks his bishop for the h pawn the resulting endgame is a theoretical draw

• 20 months ago · Quote · #345

aokHarold

settle for a draw ? BS White can win !!!

• 20 months ago · Quote · #346

EricFleet

aokHarold wrote:

settle for a draw ? BS White can win !!!

Show me your lines...

• 20 months ago · Quote · #347

EricFleet

p-wnattack wrote:
    SuperSeal wrote:

two passed rook pawns its a draw the king goes to the corner blacks bishop can't control then he sacks his bishop for the h pawn the resulting endgame is a theoretical draw

You may want to read the rest of the thread. I put it into an endgame tablebase generator and let it run for a day and it determined it to be a forced win.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #348

p-wnattack

EricFleet wrote:
    p-wnattack wrote:
    SuperSeal wrote:

You may want to read the rest of the thread. I put it into an endgame tablebase generator and let it run for a day and it determined it to be a forced win.

i guess it won for black the puzzle gave the wrong move for black though and black can avoid avoid the theoretical draw with kc7 rather than grabbing the pawn

• 20 months ago · Quote · #349

Ocky

?

• 19 months ago · Quote · #350

JamesBoundage

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 16 months ago · Quote · #351

yelfimov

waste of pieces

Post your reply: