Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

5/18/2012 - Mate in 4

• 2 years ago · Quote · #81

Easeland

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #82

mmgestes

First!..... Well in my house. :)  This one looked like it would be easy but I struggled.  Got it though.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #83

BryanCFB

walidwd wrote:

what about Bc2 at the frist move to force the black bishop to move or kill it ?!! plz someone answer me plz !!!

1. Bd1 is necessary for the mate in four because it covers the g4 and h5 squares.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #84

Easeland

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #85

Ocky

Easy. All forced moves!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #86

Easeland

Second Night Sleepless In Reykjavik, l'ISLANDE.Cry 1.Bd1 Bg6 2.Rg4+ Kh5 3.R4xg6+ Kh4 4.Rxh7+#  Hello!Cool More Nice Is 4.Rh6+#Embarassed OK  Confused In Brainfog.Frown Easeland Want, For The Sake Of Beauty, To Sacriface A Rook For One Bishop Mitre On Square g6: 2.R3xg6 hxg6 3.Rxg6... Intending 4.g3+ Kh3 5.Bg4+#Sealed I Am Lost In A Fog. Thank You Anyway, chess.com  Auf Wiedersehen

• 2 years ago · Quote · #87

zanemo

bad puzzleYell

• 2 years ago · Quote · #88

Cavatine

Of course it is better to take a pawn and give checkmate, instead of just giving checkmate.  It is like a bonus pawn.  If the value of the move is considered mathematically then you are looking at (∞ + 1) or just ∞, and those are mathematically equal; but it is not necessary to look at these as a one-dimensional sum.  In a two-dimensional plane a rectangle that is zero height and ∞ length has area zero, but if has height 1 pawn and length ∞ (checkmate pawn equivalent points) then the area is ∞, so that is much better. In this calculation the unit of area is square pawns, denoted P^2 or pawns^2, or in Algebraic Notation, just ^2.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #89

The_Hugatunk

Nice one!Cool

• 2 years ago · Quote · #90

Gil-Gandel

Cavatine wrote:

Of course it is better to take a pawn and give checkmate, instead of just giving checkmate.  It is like a bonus pawn.  If the value of the move is considered mathematically then you are looking at (∞ + 1) or just ∞, and those are mathematically equal; but it is not necessary to look at these as a one-dimensional sum.  In a two-dimensional plane a rectangle that is zero height and ∞ length has area zero, but if has height 1 pawn and length ∞ (checkmate pawn equivalent points) then the area is ∞, so that is much better. In this calculation the unit of area is square pawns, denoted P^2 or pawns^2, or in Algebraic Notation, just ^2.

what is this i dont even

• 2 years ago · Quote · #91

ashmo

too easy :{)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #92

FredBatchelor

E-A-S-Y   P-E-A-S-E-Y

got it by trying every move on the board.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #93

krakke

Lg6?? Rab8! and no mate

• 2 years ago · Quote · #94

Nestman

Good puzzle. 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #95

ChessisGood

2 Solutions

• 2 years ago · Quote · #96

Nestman

@Cavatine, what are you talking about? So what if the rectangle has a square pawn level of near infinity? In a tournament its worth one point and that's it. Really man, this is not the place to show off mediocre math jargon.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #97

mofeta

wow. I've loved it

• 2 years ago · Quote · #98

halosins18

This one was a pretty tricky one for me

• 2 years ago · Quote · #99

Jacob30

shoopi wrote:

A lot of people were confused a bit about white's/black's first move.

1. Bd1 takes away a critical flight square from the black king, namely h5, and has a mate threat. Here's an example of what happens if black plays a different move:

Why did you say a lot of people were confused?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #100

freebie

Very nice.  I've had sticky bishops in real games.  The discovered check was elegant.  Thanks chess.com.  That one was worthy.

Post your reply: